A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 28, 2024, 10:31:22 pm
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Proposal: OU-Texas-Dallas rotation  (Read 7146 times)
Laramie
City Father

« on: October 16, 2009, 12:24:18 pm »

Proposal to resolve this OU-TU home field fiasco:

When the contract with the Cotton Bowl Stadium expires in 2015 we should rotate the game between the Cotton Bowl and both Universities beginning the year 2016.

Example:

2016     Oklahoma (Norman)
2017     Cotton Bowl  (Dallas)
2018     Texas (Austin)
2019     Cottom Bowl  (Dallas)
2020     Oklahoma  (Norman)
2021     Cotton Bowl  (Dallas)
2022     Texas (Austin)

The game has been played on Texas soil too long.  There is nothing new about Dallas and I think it is a shame that we continue to beef up Texas' economy.  It's time Texans started spending their money in Oklahoma.

“Think for yourself and let others enjoy the privilege of doing so too.” ― Voltaire
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2009, 12:33:03 pm »

Proposal to resolve this OU-TU home field fiasco:

When the contract with the Cotton Bowl Stadium expires in 2015 we should rotate the game between the Cotton Bowl and both Universities beginning the year 2016.

Example:

2016     Oklahoma (Norman)
2017     Cotton Bowl  (Dallas)
2018     Texas (Austin)
2019     Cottom Bowl  (Dallas)
2020     Oklahoma  (Norman)
2021     Cotton Bowl  (Dallas)
2022     Texas (Austin)

The game has been played on Texas soil too long.  There is nothing new about Dallas and I think it is a shame that we continue to beef up Texas' economy.  It's time Texans started spending their money in Oklahoma.

Why would Tulsa(TU) play OU in Austin?
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2009, 01:02:46 pm »

Maybe they will implode that POS of a stadium after the contract runs out.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
DolfanBob
City Father

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2009, 02:44:33 pm »

I agree. The Cotton Bowl sucks.
You can only upgrade so long then its just useless.
I loved the years my Dolphins were at the Orange Bowl but it was a piece of crap and I love were we play now(whatever the name is)
I liked Texas stadium but change had to happen, good gawd that walk across the bridge from parking was brutal.
I get the whole fair scenario but anyone who thinks that site is neutral is nuts.
I love tradition but if they can tear down the Camelot inn.
Then nothing is sacred.   Grin

Changing opinions one mistake at a time.
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2009, 03:02:31 pm »

There is nothing new about Dallas ...

Football politics aside...

There is lots of "new" in Dallas. Have you been there recently? There is new crap everywhere...

Power is nothing till you use it.
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2009, 08:48:55 am »

From an outsiders perspective, I can tell you that the OU-UT game gets extra hype because it is a neutral site game with a 50/50 crowd.  There are plenty of good rivalries in college football, but only a handful of neutral site 50/50 games (OU-UT, the tea party[FL-GA], and Huh).  It's halfway between the schools and close to the red-river over which the "shootout" is fought (the winning State gets "possession" of the Red River for the subsequent year).    It's unique where a "big" college football game isn't . . . and unique brings in money.

If the game went into a rotation, even one that had a neutral field game thrown in, it would take away a lot of the mystique of the game.   There's a reason Arkansas and aTm have agreed to a long term "rivalry" in Dallas, it's because the hype and exposure associated with the game outdoes the potential costs.  A big stage.  Access to big time media, and those Dallas recruits have to here about OU for a little while. 

Add to that the fact that donors and fan bases of both schools enjoy the game in Dallas.  It's an annual event and a chance for Dallas Alumni of both schools to catch a game without driving to Austin/Norman.  I understand the sentiment, that "giving" Dallas the revenue and exposure associated with the game isn't good, but the odds of it ever moving are slim to none.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2009, 08:49:52 am »

There is lots of "new" in Dallas. Have you been there recently? There is new crap everywhere...

Well it's the same old new crap then...

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Laramie
City Father

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2009, 01:25:52 pm »

You have a great sense of humor, Swake! Cool

“Think for yourself and let others enjoy the privilege of doing so too.” ― Voltaire
dbacks fan
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2009, 01:34:52 pm »

More places to party.
TUalum0982
Philanthropist

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2009, 06:37:49 pm »

I agree. The Cotton Bowl sucks.
You can only upgrade so long then its just useless.
I loved the years my Dolphins were at the Orange Bowl but it was a piece of crap and I love were we play now(whatever the name is)
I liked Texas stadium but change had to happen, good gawd that walk across the bridge from parking was brutal.
I get the whole fair scenario but anyone who thinks that site is neutral is nuts.
I love tradition but if they can tear down the Camelot inn.
Then nothing is sacred.   Grin

Let me be the first to ask...Have you ever been to the Red River shootout before?  Just because the game is played in Texas doesn't mean its not neutral.  The stadium is split 50/50 in terms of OU/Texas Fans. Norman to Dallas is 189.95 miles.  Austin to Dallas is 196 miles.  I don't know how much "neutral" you can get in terms of a football game. 

Having gone to a few of the games, I can say with 100% certainty it is by far one of the most neutral games in college football today.  The worlds biggest cocktail party (florida and GA) is nowhere near neutral.  For crying out loud its played in jacksonville which is 71 miles from Gainseville FL and 362 from Athens GA.  How is that neutral.  Also, the tickets aren't divided up evenly like they are for OU/Texas. 

"You cant solve Stupid." 
"I don't do sorry, sorry is for criminals and screw ups."
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2009, 08:28:16 am »

It should be noted that the only person ever to make headway on this argument died on Saturday
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/APStories/stories/D9BJHVV00.html
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2009, 10:34:38 am »

Another argument that it is neutral:  you can't tell what the hell is going on by the crowd noise.    If you happen to be grabbing a beer or some nachos and the crowd cheers, you can generally ascertain what just happened.  If the home team is on Defense they got a stop or interception.  If they are on offense it's a big gain (wait wait, another cheer . . . they got a touchdown and an extra point). 

At the Red River SHOOTOUT you can't tell.  No matter what happens on side cheers.  And both appear equal.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Laramie
City Father

« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2009, 09:19:47 am »

You got me on that one; no argument here!

Encoste09
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2009, 08:14:02 am »

Ive seen the talk about a 4 team playoff that would take place after the bowls, but this seems to be the better proposal IMHO.
Renaissance
City Father

« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2009, 01:58:56 pm »

This is a terrible idea.  Do you hate pageantry and tradition?  I bet you hate kittens and Santa too.   Wink

But seriously, having the game in Dallas at Fair Park is one of the last remaining hallowed institutions in a game that is steadily losing them because of the pull of the almighty dollar.  You are advocating a continued erosion. 

Queries:  Did you go to college at Oklahoma (or Texas)?  Have you ever been to the game at Fair Park?  Are you even a fan of college football?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org