A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 23, 2024, 11:18:17 pm
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Diving Bell ! WOW!  (Read 2472 times)
FOTD
« on: November 23, 2009, 12:50:08 pm »

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091123/ap_on_he_me/eu_belgium_coma_recovery

Mom: Son in coma heard everything for 23 years

"BRUSSELS – A mother says her son has emerged from what doctors thought was a vegetative state to say he was fully conscious for 23 years but could not respond because he was paralyzed.
Rom Houben had a car crash in 1983 and doctors thought he had sunk into an apparent coma. Still, his family continued to believe their son was conscious and had sought further medical advice.
Dr. Audrey Vanhaudenhuyse said Houben's mother finally met Belgian expert Steven Laureys, who realized that the medical diagnosis for her son was wrong. Laureys then taught Houben how to communicate through a special keyboard."

Terri Schiavo must be rolling over in her grave....
Cats Cats Cats
City Father

« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2009, 03:19:31 pm »

This is sad.. Kind of crazy that he couldn't even move before... But now he can move enough to use a touch keyboard?  What did they do to him to get him to be able to move. 

This would be a good argument against removing feeding tubes... But apparently there is a test now to check if they are in a coma or not.  So, there that goes.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2009, 03:23:24 pm »

This is sad.. Kind of crazy that he couldn't even move before... But now he can move enough to use a touch keyboard?  What did they do to him to get him to be able to move. 

This would be a good argument against removing feeding tubes... But apparently there is a test now to check if they are in a coma or not.  So, there that goes.

That's still no quality of life for me.  If I'm at the point I need a feeding tube, I no longer need to eat.  Let me go with dignity.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Ed W
City Father

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2009, 03:26:31 pm »

An autopsy revealed that Terri Schiavo's brain was not functioning.

Ed

May you live in interesting times.
FOTD
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2009, 04:39:51 pm »

An autopsy revealed that Terri Schiavo's brain was not functioning.

Yes. It was demonic sarcasm....
Ed W
City Father

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2009, 07:26:35 pm »

Yes. It was demonic sarcasm....

What?  The demons talk to you too?  I thought they only spoke to me.

Ed

May you live in interesting times.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org