A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 30, 2024, 01:32:03 pm
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 46   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Vision 2025...Part 2?  (Read 255156 times)
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #555 on: June 03, 2014, 08:22:13 am »

To sgrizzle's and SXSW's lists I would add additional funds for downtown and near downtown housing development. I feel that this has been one of the greatest drivers of continued core development and residential creates a need for more businesses to serve that population.

So long as it keeps ending up in the hands of developers like the Snyders and not the Sagers.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Cats Cats Cats
City Father

« Reply #556 on: June 03, 2014, 09:05:22 am »

So long as it keeps ending up in the hands of developers like the Snyders and not the Sagers.

Mcnellies group getting into the mix too.
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #557 on: June 03, 2014, 09:11:08 am »

With this tax expiring in 2016 is there any movement to get another proposal on the ballot?  I keep hearing about potential river projects totaling $160 million for the low water dams.  What would you want to see on the ballot, and how can we ensure it passes?

Wasn't the tax just extended as part of the city streets and improvement plan last fall?
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #558 on: June 03, 2014, 02:37:32 pm »

Wasn't the tax just extended as part of the city streets and improvement plan last fall?

Different tax. That was the City of Tulsa 3rd penny.
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #559 on: July 01, 2014, 05:39:14 pm »

So Bartlett wants to take 1/3 of the expiring V2025 tax and fund public safety.  I can support that.  A safe city should be the #1 priority.  I suspect river projects will be a good part of the rest, or will Tulsa go it alone without county support?

http://m.tulsaworld.com/homepagelatest/county-officials-respond-to-mayor-s-public-safety-tax-proposal/article_832348ef-3334-5c37-ad99-ab9238bf72e0.html?mode=jqm

sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #560 on: July 01, 2014, 06:20:28 pm »

Tulsa currently collects about 2c sales tax to pay for operations. Of that, public safety takes around 50%. The other 50% pays for Dewey's people, IT, HR, street maintenance, parks, zoning, planning, water treatment, storm sewer, sewer lines, water lines, bus service, mowing, etc.

While I'm not against public safety, you have to fund the other stuff too.

If you're going to do 1/3rd to public safety, do another 1/6th or 1/3rd to transportation operations (and then free up the other Tulsa transit funds for other city services) and the remainder to the river.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #561 on: March 24, 2015, 12:48:52 pm »

New Vision 2025 Tax Extension Proposed

http://publicradiotulsa.org/post/new-vision-2025-tax-extension-proposed

Leaders of cities in Tulsa County announce a plan for a Vision 2025 tax extension that could finally get water in the river. There is a new approach this time that would allow each community to determine its’ projects and vote on them independently. Tulsa City Councilor G.T. Bynum says it gives hope for low water dams and other river projects that have failed in the past. Other cities may have other priorities, and that would work in this approach to a tax renewal.

Specific projects are yet to be determined, but the vote should be scheduled sometime this fall.
Jeff P
Civic Leader

« Reply #562 on: March 24, 2015, 01:07:25 pm »

So Bartlett wants to take 1/3 of the expiring V2025 tax and fund public safety.  I can support that.  A safe city should be the #1 priority.  I suspect river projects will be a good part of the rest, or will Tulsa go it alone without county support?

http://m.tulsaworld.com/homepagelatest/county-officials-respond-to-mayor-s-public-safety-tax-proposal/article_832348ef-3334-5c37-ad99-ab9238bf72e0.html?mode=jqm

Do we have a public safety problem that would justify taking 1/3 of the renewed Vision money in addition to what is already allocated to it?  Do we have x% higher total (insert whatever stat) compared with cities of similar size in the region?

I'm not being sarcastic... serious question.

Because "more money to public safety" seems like one of those things that everyone would agree to whether or not it was even needed.
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #563 on: March 24, 2015, 01:33:04 pm »

It’s Dewey’s grand reelection plans of “water in river, cops in street, no burning cell phones in pocket”, this is the dunce that wanted to give $300 million to a bankrupt American for no good reason and zero guarantees.  He forced more millions in the last streets bond issue for the Gilcrease highway to nowhere (where he personally owns land) and tried to kill a sidewalk on Riverside nearly the whole city wanted that his landlord disliked.

Dewey wants a vote in the fall which means projects need to be chosen, scoped and priced by the summer and it’s March right now. The timeline for starting public input for a fall vote would be last fall. I would peg his intended public input at zero.

I’m going to put on my Dewey Vision goggles here and guess  that there will no real downtown improvements in this plan. It’s going be .2% permanent fund to Cops, $200 million to dams, something at the zoo, $5 million for downtown housing, his stupid taco truck park on the west bank and money to fix the roads at 61st by the new outlet mall. Bing, done, it’s Dewey Vision2030.

Maybe the city council can put some meat in any plans and derail the Dewey Express but I am not hopeful.

patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #564 on: March 24, 2015, 01:52:33 pm »

Do we have a public safety problem that would justify taking 1/3 of the renewed Vision money in addition to what is already allocated to it?  Do we have x% higher total (insert whatever stat) compared with cities of similar size in the region?

Because "more money to public safety" seems like one of those things that everyone would agree to whether or not it was even needed.

Isnt the Armored Personnel Carrier due to be replaced with a fleet of new MRAPs with sonic cannons?   
The cassette player in the old one is so '80's.

Grin

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #565 on: March 24, 2015, 03:21:12 pm »

We bring in $355M in sales taxes, and spend $175M on police and fire.

The remaining, plus other funds, fund road maintenance, parks, streetlights, code enforcement, lawn mowing, planning, economic development, water, sewer, trash,
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #566 on: March 24, 2015, 03:29:53 pm »

We bring in $355M in sales taxes, and spend $175M on police and fire.

The remaining, plus other funds, fund road maintenance, parks, streetlights, code enforcement, lawn mowing, planning, economic development, water, sewer, trash,

We should follow the lead of some other cities who are in higher rated states and make wifi internet access available from the city for all citizens.  57 cities doing it now.

http://www.kansas.com/news/article1144149.html

http://mic.com/articles/66891/57-cities-now-have-free-wi-fi-but-they-re-not-thinking-big-enough

We past time for Tulsa to be thinking 'out of the box'....

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #567 on: March 24, 2015, 07:03:15 pm »

I think we need to buy the Tulsa Club Building, bring it back to its former glory, or better, and turn it into a Tulsa Art Deco Museum, as part of any new initiative.

We could lease out the grand ballroom to a restaurateur to help raise money, have great events there, use several floors for the museum, activate the street levels with a museum gift shop and an art deco themed cafe, and perhaps also rent out a few of the other floors for office space to help the museum be self sustaining.  

I could turn that building into a major attraction in downtown, and I wouldn't need or want any parking. I would actually like to turn one of the floors into a Disney type, slow, look at the wonderful scenery, type rides (The Story of Art Deco", Worlds fairs, Metropolis, the movies, etc.) We could partner with the Tulsa Foundation for Architecture. Have classroom spaces, etc. etc.

This building is going to be so hard to rehab without the financial help of someone who really loves the building.  

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #568 on: March 24, 2015, 07:55:28 pm »

I think we need to buy the Tulsa Club Building, bring it back to its former glory, or better, and turn it into a Tulsa Art Deco Museum, as part of any new initiative.

We could lease out the grand ballroom to a restaurateur to help raise money, have great events there, use several floors for the museum, activate the street levels with a museum gift shop and an art deco themed cafe, and perhaps also rent out a few of the other floors for office space to help the museum be self sustaining.  

I could turn that building into a major attraction in downtown, and I wouldn't need or want any parking. I would actually like to turn one of the floors into a Disney type, slow, look at the wonderful scenery, type rides (The Story of Art Deco", Worlds fairs, Metropolis, the movies, etc.) We could partner with the Tulsa Foundation for Architecture. Have classroom spaces, etc. etc.

This building is going to be so hard to rehab without the financial help of someone who really loves the building.  

This would also make a great new home for the OU-Tulsa Urban Design program. 

TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #569 on: March 24, 2015, 08:05:12 pm »

This would also make a great new home for the OU-Tulsa Urban Design program.  

Perfect fit!

Anyone else have any other ideas?

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 46   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org