A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 16, 2024, 02:33:37 pm
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Oral Roberts passes away  (Read 7711 times)
Hometown
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2009, 12:12:47 pm »

Messed up Tulsa then went off to California to live.  He was the epitome of Protestant belief.  God rewards the righteous with money.  Which may be the historic foundation of Protestant wealth but clearly mundane and lacking in the spiritual picture. 
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2009, 12:17:51 pm »

Messed up Tulsa then went off to California to live.  He was the epitome of Protestant belief.  God rewards the righteous with money.  Which may be the historic foundation of Protestant wealth but clearly mundane and lacking in the spiritual picture. 

Yeah really jacked it up, left behind a University which provides jobs and buys from local provisioners and vendors and brings money into our economy from out of state and other countries.  Then there's that 1.9mm square foot office complex which used to be the ORU hospital which provides a place for thousands of Tulsan's to work.  Damn him! 

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
FOTD
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2009, 01:02:46 pm »

FOTD reserves the rights to damNation on this forum, CoCo....

Oral liked Elvis (bet that Elvis loved oral) and that's good enough for me.....
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2009, 01:57:48 pm »

FOTD reserves the rights to damNation on this forum, CoCo....

Oral liked Elvis (bet that Elvis loved oral) and that's good enough for me.....

Damn you

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Hawkins
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2009, 02:37:02 pm »

This is by far the friendliest Oral Roberts thread on the internet.

Channel 6's went bad right away. Outside of Tulsa, it gets much worse.

I think the whole 'I have to raise $8 Million or God's going to take me home,' thing really damaged his reputation.

Others have said he made his living off of scamming the elderly.

Personally--not speaking as one without sin myself--but I would not want to die and have to explain to God why I was living in a mansion with security guards paid for by church donations.

Jesus didn't act anything like that.

Maybe all that money corrupted his brain to some extent. I just don't know, its up to God whether or not there is a mansion for him in Heaven, but somehow I doubt it.

--
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2009, 03:30:11 pm »

Sorry, while I respect the 'good intentions' behind ORU and evangelism Oral Roberts was a scam artist.  His son Richard was even worse embezzling university funds for his lavish lifestyle.  Good riddance, and I am glad the Roberts no longer have any control of ORU.

rwarn17588
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2009, 03:38:11 pm »

On a related note, a very recent article in the Atlantic tied Oral Roberts' "prosperity gospel" to the real-estate bubble that burst. Pretty doggone compelling story.

http://www.theatlantic.com/doc/200912/rosin-prosperity-gospel

O, Oral, what hath you wrought?
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2009, 03:43:32 pm »

The Atlantic?  Isn't that the rag that mega-conservative Andrew Sullivan writes for?  That article is really reaching or just a reach-around.

Let's blame Christianity for the housing bubble?  I'd expect that out of FOTD, but not you.

rwarn17588
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2009, 03:48:58 pm »

The Atlantic?  Isn't that the rag that mega-conservative Andrew Sullivan writes for?  That article is really reaching or just a reach-around.

Let's blame Christianity for the housing bubble?  I'd expect that out of FOTD, but not you.

I'd never call it a rag -- especially when James Fallows still writes for it.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2009, 03:51:54 pm »

Everyone is looking for someone else to blame for their own naivete, stupidity, and greed.  Does anyone believe in personal accountability anymore?

Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2009, 03:53:25 pm »

Everyone is looking for someone else to blame for their own naivete, stupidity, and greed.  Does anyone believe in personal accountability anymore?

The investors or the Oral Roberts followers?
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2009, 03:54:18 pm »

The investors or the Oral Roberts followers?

All of the above

Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2009, 03:55:28 pm »

All of the above

Not as long as they are allowed to pass blame, no.
rwarn17588
« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2009, 04:07:55 pm »

Oh, I have no doubt there was naivete, stupidity and greed involved. One of these days I'll tell you more about when when my maximum mortgage qualification went up 100 percent in three years with the same lender, without the corresponding 100 percent increase in income. I knew then there was funny stuff going on in the real-estate industry (fortunately, I demurred in my "fortuitous" rise in credit).

But there's no doubt that prosperity gospel is one of the most bastardized interpretations of the Gospels ever -- and one of the most harmful. I've seen otherwise-sensible people over the years who've recklessly overextended themselves financially and slough it off by saying, "God will take care of it." It was piety that metastasized into stunning naivete or simple greed. There's no doubt that Ol' Oral, wittingly or unwittingly, was a big driving force behind that.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2009, 04:12:46 pm »

But there's no doubt that prosperity gospel is one of the most bastardized interpretations of the Gospels ever -- and one of the most harmful. I've seen otherwise-sensible people over the years who've recklessly overextended themselves financially and slough it off by saying, "God will take care of it." It was piety that metastasized into stunning naivete or simple greed.

It's one of the primary reasons (if not the biggest) for my distaste of organized religion.  I can't stand the five minute appeal about responsibility when the plate is passed.  "I'm 44 years old, pass the bucking plate, I know what to do."

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org