A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 19, 2024, 09:43:16 pm
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Vintage Tulsa  (Read 2389 times)
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« on: January 04, 2010, 10:12:53 am »

Here's a few old print ads mentioning Tulsa:
http://www.vintageadbrowser.com/search?q=tulsa

(hundreds of thousands of vintage ads on that site, only 9 directly relate to Tulsa)

Also, while speaking of it, anyone ever heard of this?
http://vintagetulsashow.com/
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2010, 10:17:47 am »

Lortondale featured in a national magazine ad for Chrysler Air Conditioning:

http://www.lortondale.com/portals/0/ChryslerAd.pdf

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Steve
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2010, 12:40:21 pm »

Lortondale featured in a national magazine ad for Chrysler Air Conditioning:

http://www.lortondale.com/portals/0/ChryslerAd.pdf

That ad is from the January 1954 edition of "House & Home," a builder's trade publication from Time, Inc.  I have a copy of that magazine with the ad.

Incidentally, the exterior house pictured in the ad was one of the 4 prototype homes constructed at 21st Place & Pittsburgh Avenue, the 3rd house east of Pittsburgh Ave.  The interior shots were from the house next door, the 2nd house east of Pittsburgh Ave.  Both the same floor plan but different roof/window design.  The house pictured with the exterior photo survives today, relatively unmolested and unchanged from the ad photo, although in very poor condition last time I drove by. 
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2010, 01:43:26 pm »

That ad is from the January 1954 edition of "House & Home," a builder's trade publication from Time, Inc.  I have a copy of that magazine with the ad.

Incidentally, the exterior house pictured in the ad was one of the 4 prototype homes constructed at 21st Place & Pittsburgh Avenue, the 3rd house east of Pittsburgh Ave.  The interior shots were from the house next door, the 2nd house east of Pittsburgh Ave.  Both the same floor plan but different roof/window design.  The house pictured with the exterior photo survives today, relatively unmolested and unchanged from the ad photo, although in very poor condition last time I drove by. 

Steve, have you ever gotten to go in any of the prototypes on 21st Place?  I've got a pipe dream of buying, renovating, and preserving all four some day as higher-end rentals (even bigger pipe dream).  It's a shame they put the "pop-top" on one of them.  I think Shane Hood was saying one of the neighbors on his block is adding a second story...GULP!

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Steve
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2010, 11:22:52 am »

Steve, have you ever gotten to go in any of the prototypes on 21st Place?  I've got a pipe dream of buying, renovating, and preserving all four some day as higher-end rentals (even bigger pipe dream).  It's a shame they put the "pop-top" on one of them.  I think Shane Hood was saying one of the neighbors on his block is adding a second story...GULP!

No, I never have been in any of those 4 houses, but I drive by about every 3-4 months just to see if any are for sale.  The exterior house pictured in that Chrysler ad is the most original, unchanged of the 4, but probably in the worst shape and seems to be vacant for many years.  The prototypes are all much the same as the houses constructed in Lortondale, the only significant difference being that laundry hookups were in the kitchens of the prototypes, and moved to the garages on homes constructed in Lortondale per public feedback, leaving small eating areas in the kitchen.   All the prototype homes were 1-bath/1-car garages and they also modified the plans to allow for 1.5 or 2 bath, 2-car garage models at the buyer's option.

Yes, there is a 2 story addition going up on 26th Place and I can monitor the progress daily as I have a great view of it out my living room window wall.  I think they are building a 2 story addition behind the original garage and not actually building upon the original structure.  Either way, I hate it.  I never understand why people don't just sell the house and buy a larger one elsewhere if they need more room, instead of destroying an architecturaly significant house in a historic neighborhood.  I am sure glad I don't live next door with that new big hulk staring down on my property and eliminating neighbor's privacy; just seeing it out my back windows is bad enough.  They only have the framing and roof sheathing up to date and I assume construction has halted for better weather.  
« Last Edit: January 06, 2010, 01:48:29 pm by Steve » Logged
buckeye
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2010, 02:27:44 pm »

There's a Subaru occasionally parked at that house on 21st place.  It is in atrocious condition.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org