A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 20, 2024, 03:34:25 pm
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sad sight on Brookside – Bruton Tire Closed  (Read 8194 times)
AngieB
Proud Westsider
City Father

« on: January 05, 2010, 08:52:37 pm »

On my way home this evening I saw that Bruton Tire at 38th & Peoria has closed down. Trent, the owner there, is a really great guy. Sad to see another small business gone.  Cry
« Last Edit: January 07, 2010, 08:57:15 am by AngieBrumley » Logged
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2010, 09:47:01 pm »

Any idea if he just folded his tent or is it a property buyout?

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
godboko71
Philanthropist

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2010, 09:02:17 pm »

Any idea if he just folded his tent or is it a property buyout?

Wondering the same thing myself as busy as he was hard to see that it closed without it being a property buyout.

Hope someone knows Smiley

Thank you,
Robert Town
AngieB
Proud Westsider
City Father

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2010, 09:07:20 pm »

Trent had been in business for 5 years and it was time for something else. Something less stressful. He is going to work for Hesselbein at 31st & 129th.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2010, 11:06:53 pm »

Works for me that's where I've done tire business the last ten years

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2010, 11:21:28 pm »

Works for me that's where I've done tire business the last ten years

I'll be needin' tires probably next year, but I have a funny wheel size (225/55/18).  Friends and relatives always rave about TireRack.com and their prices, but I wonder if any local places have this size, specificially Bridgestone OR GoodYear.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2010, 11:42:33 pm »

I'll be needin' tires probably next year, but I have a funny wheel size (225/55/18).  Friends and relatives always rave about TireRack.com and their prices, but I wonder if any local places have this size, specificially Bridgestone OR GoodYear.
Any of them can order tires in whatever size.

Generally the price comes out to be about the same as Tirerack for most tires since you don't have to pay UPS to deliver them.

Maybe TireRack is better for odd sizes or whatever, but for my normal sized tires, I have yet to find that TireRack is the cheapest after factoring in shipping and installation. Plus a lot of the local places include free rotation and balancing for the life of the tire, which TireRack does not. (or didn't last time I shopped tires).

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
joiei
City Father

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2010, 02:08:16 am »

I used to go to McElroy and when they closed was thinking about going here.  Where should I go in Midtown now?

It's hard being a Diamond in a rhinestone world.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2010, 07:23:20 am »

Unless you are capable of changing your own tires I wouldn't mess with mail order on car or truck tires

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2010, 07:56:38 am »

Unless you are capable of changing your own tires I wouldn't mess with mail order on car or truck tires

Are you familiar with how TireRack.com works?  They have agreements with tire shops to drop-ship the tires to them, you bring your car in to the shop and they change them there.  Least that's how I understand it works.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2010, 08:49:19 am »

Are you familiar with how TireRack.com works?  They have agreements with tire shops to drop-ship the tires to them, you bring your car in to the shop and they change them there.  Least that's how I understand it works.

No, I wasn't aware of that.  You know me, I love to talk out of my arse sometimes and make wild assumptions.  Wink If it works that way, it doesn't sound like too bad a deal, though I still can't imagine why a local retailer like Hesselbein, Robertson, or Hibdon would be real hip on the idea of working to help promote someone else making the mark-up on tires, unless they figure there's enough in the installation to make it worthwhile.  So what about sales tax on the tires since they are drop shipped but then installed at a local dealer?

rwarn17588
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2010, 08:55:05 am »

Are you familiar with how TireRack.com works?  They have agreements with tire shops to drop-ship the tires to them, you bring your car in to the shop and they change them there.  Least that's how I understand it works.

Hoss is correct. It's fine to go to a local tire shop, but it can be a drag if it doesn't have your sizes available, which is where Tirerack.com comes in.

The nice part is that shipping is seldom over $35, which is good for a set of four ties that weigh 25 pounds apiece. Looking over my old purchases, I didn't see any sales tax.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2010, 08:57:52 am by rwarn17588 » Logged
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2010, 09:20:55 am »

Any of them can order tires in whatever size.

Generally the price comes out to be about the same as Tirerack for most tires since you don't have to pay UPS to deliver them.

Maybe TireRack is better for odd sizes or whatever, but for my normal sized tires, I have yet to find that TireRack is the cheapest after factoring in shipping and installation. Plus a lot of the local places include free rotation and balancing for the life of the tire, which TireRack does not. (or didn't last time I shopped tires).

I discovered that when it comes to tires, there are hundreds of versions and a lot of them are crap. Most people go and just buy the same make/model that was on the car when they bought it. Problem with that is the tires that are installe at the factory are usually crap, especially if you buy the entry level wheels.

What I discovered when I wanted to order specific tires, is the stores in town would quote me a price $20/tire over tire rack and give me a delivery estimate and warehouse location the same as tirerack.com was giving.. so basically they are ordering from the same warehouses but just charging a premium. As far as installation, I found several people who would give the same price and guarantee whether you bought your own tires or theirs.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2010, 09:24:02 am »

They do have agreements with some places but shop around. The first time I used tirerack I picked one of the places they had an agreement with who charged heavily and installed defective valve stems which ended up costing me hundreds replacing tires when the valve stems failed. I even talked to the owner, "Discount Mike" who told me I was imagining it, despite having a copy of the manufacturer's recall notice.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2010, 09:34:01 am »

Hoss is correct. It's fine to go to a local tire shop, but it can be a drag if it doesn't have your sizes available, which is where Tirerack.com comes in.

The nice part is that shipping is seldom over $35, which is good for a set of four ties that weigh 25 pounds apiece. Looking over my old purchases, I didn't see any sales tax.

I looked up the site and at the Goodyear stores listed around Tulsa, it's $30 a skin for installation.  Looks like a break-even proposition, not any sort of real savings, at least for my own application if I were buying from a Goodyear store.  I get a special deal at Hesselbein through someone I know from my old racing days.  No one else in town can touch their price.  So, IOW, tire rack would actually cost me more than dealing with Hesselbein.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org