A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 28, 2024, 02:16:29 pm
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Judging by the current state of this section...  (Read 14177 times)
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2010, 04:23:16 pm »

FOTD, downtown still has the largest concentration of bars/clubs in Tulsa with the places in Blue Dome and Brady.  Brookside has a comparable number though and then you have a few places in SoBo and Cherry Street.  The emergence of Brookside and now SoBo as nightlife districts has definitely had an impact on downtown's nightlife scene.  I think though as more restaurants open in Blue Dome and also in Brady you will see a few more bars or nightclubs open.  Something like Bricktown's Skyy Bar with a rooftop patio would actually be a nice addition.  Or Tulsa could go more the way of Dallas where the Uptown and Greenville night scenes dominate over anything in downtown including the West End and Deep Ellum.  
« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 04:28:49 pm by SXSW » Logged

Nik
Philanthropist

« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2010, 04:30:08 pm »

Personally, I can't wait for the bowling alley and retropub to open. They both deserve their own thread. and while I'm not a huge BBQ fan, i think a good bbq joint is both needed and will do well downtown.
FOTD
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2010, 04:36:47 pm »

FOTD, downtown still has the largest TURNOVER concentration of bars/clubs in Tulsa with the places in Blue Dome and Brady.  Brookside has a comparable number though and then you have a few places in SoBo and Cherry Street.  The emergence of Brookside and now SoBo as nightlife districts has definitely had an impact on downtown's nightlife scene.  I think though as more restaurants open in Blue Dome and also in Brady you will see a few more bars or nightclubs open.  Something like HICKBricktown's Skyy Bar with a rooftop patio would actually be a nice addition.  Or Tulsa could go more the way of Dallas where the Uptown and Greenville night scenes dominate over anything in downtown including the West End and Deep Ellum.  

You set me off every time you do that thing with Dallass, Hicktown, etc.

Too bad we didn't leave Tulsa Tulsa....too much meddlin' by wanna bees who like them other places....move there if you like them so much. Downtown shoulda been changed into Churchtown, damnit.

Did the Thunder win today?

Yes, bbq in downtown! And bowling will be a success. That's in Tulsa's vein.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 05:11:27 pm by FOTD » Logged
JoeMommaBlake
Civic Leader

« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2010, 08:11:05 pm »

what are Dust Bowl & The Max Retropub and where are the going?

The Dust Bowl is an small boutique bowling alley going into the space just south of the Dilly Deli on Elgin. It's an McNellie's Group project and is scheduled to open in the summer.

The Max Retropub is a retro (think 80's and early 90's) themed pub going in to the south of Joe Momma's on Elgin. It will have nearly 30 arcade games including all of the classic games like Frogger, Donkey Kong, and Centipede, as well as some games from the 90's like Mortal Combat 2, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, and the Simpsons. One of the highlights of the pub will be the skee-ball lanes (where you can trade your tickets for beer). The Max will also have a small menu of gourmet junk food like nachos, hot-dogs, popcorn, and pretzels. The bar will boast the largest cocktail selection downtown with mixers like Jolt Cola, Tang, Rockstar Energy Drink, Capri Sun pouches with a shot of rum shot into them, SoBe Orange Cream, and our very own ICEE machine. It is scheduled to open this spring, hopefully about the same time that ballpark up the road opens up.

"Make no little plans. They have no magic to stir men's blood and probably will not themselves be realized."
- Daniel Burnham

http://www.joemommastulsa.com
OpenYourEyesTulsa
Civic Leader

« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2010, 09:14:54 pm »

I work downtown and hang out there after work.  I would live downtown if I didn't have dogs and a whole 4 bedroom house full of stuff that would not fit in a condo.  I look forward to having a bowling alley, bbq, and retro pub to visit at lunch and happy hour.  I am looking forward to the Mardi Gras party since I am not able to go to New Orleans like I wanted to this year.  Also, I enjoyed the St. Patricks Day party a lot last year and hope it gets bigger every year.
Renaissance
City Father

« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2010, 08:33:07 am »

The Max Retropub is a retro (think 80's and early 90's) themed pub going in to the south of Joe Momma's on Elgin. It will have nearly 30 arcade games including all of the classic games like Frogger, Donkey Kong, and Centipede, as well as some games from the 90's like Mortal Combat 2, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, and the Simpsons. One of the highlights of the pub will be the skee-ball lanes (where you can trade your tickets for beer). The Max will also have a small menu of gourmet junk food like nachos, hot-dogs, popcorn, and pretzels. The bar will boast the largest cocktail selection downtown with mixers like Jolt Cola, Tang, Rockstar Energy Drink, Capri Sun pouches with a shot of rum shot into them, SoBe Orange Cream, and our very own ICEE machine. It is scheduled to open this spring, hopefully about the same time that ballpark up the road opens up.

Wow.  I was born in 1979 and this is VERY exciting to me.  Have you guys been to Barcadia in Dallas on Henderson?  It's got the same vibe going, although it sounds like your pub will have a better game selection.  http://barcadiadallas.com/ The place is popping all the time.  It's funny because it's one of the places where the hipsters and collared-shirt tribes mix--a rare thing in Big D. 
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2010, 09:10:21 am »

Wow.  I was born in 1979 and this is VERY exciting to me.  Have you guys been to Barcadia in Dallas on Henderson?  It's got the same vibe going, although it sounds like your pub will have a better game selection.  http://barcadiadallas.com/ The place is popping all the time.  It's funny because it's one of the places where the hipsters and collared-shirt tribes mix--a rare thing in Big D. 

Hmm.. they have Spy Hunter...
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2010, 09:42:56 am »

I'd say the Retropub and Bowling Alley also deserve their own threads.  I'll see if I can get some pics of the ballpark to update that thread, which I am surprised hasn't stayed very up to date.  The BOK Center had all sorts of photo updates, why not the ballpark?  Although the Elgin construction north of Archer has made it difficult to take pics.

sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2010, 09:54:55 am »

I will see if I can get some ballpark pics. The construction has hampered it greatly. Roads are closed even on the north side of I-44

Here is one pic I just got off a website:
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2010, 02:24:25 pm »

....snip....  The BOK Center had all sorts of photo updates, why not the ballpark?  Although the Elgin construction north of Archer has made it difficult to take pics.

The ballpark doesn't get any because they have a dedicated webcam that is 100 times better than that on again/off again webcam for the BOK.  I did better honing my photography skills by going down there once every two weeks.  Plus, it was easier to take photos of the arena; I could park by the library and get in the CC parking garage and go to the top level and take all the photos I ever wanted.

The ballpark's webcam setup is pretty nice.

http://oxblue.com/pro/open/oneok/oneokfield

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2010, 03:21:19 pm »

The ballpark doesn't get any because they have a dedicated webcam that is 100 times better than that on again/off again webcam for the BOK.  I did better honing my photography skills by going down there once every two weeks.  Plus, it was easier to take photos of the arena; I could park by the library and get in the CC parking garage and go to the top level and take all the photos I ever wanted.

The ballpark's webcam setup is pretty nice.

http://oxblue.com/pro/open/oneok/oneokfield

The ballpark's webcam is great, just wish they also had one at OSU-Tulsa or, even better, the apartment tower on the hill above OSU looking at the ballpark progress with Blue Dome and the skyline in the background.

Hawkins
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2010, 04:55:58 pm »

I'd say the Retropub and Bowling Alley also deserve their own threads.  I'll see if I can get some pics of the ballpark to update that thread, which I am surprised hasn't stayed very up to date.  The BOK Center had all sorts of photo updates, why not the ballpark?  Although the Elgin construction north of Archer has made it difficult to take pics.

I really hate to sound like a wet noodle again, but I have my doubts that such a project as this "Retropub" can be successful in downtown Tulsa. I will watching this with interest.

IF the downtown area could support such a place, I would think a D&B's would have had their eye on a location there. Instead, Dave & Buster's chose to locate in the ECONOMIC center of Tulsa-- 71st and Hwy 169. This is where all the money is spent, and development costs have skyrocketed.

Retro games can be placed in ANY bar, and some bars have a small selection of coin-op games and pool tables, like Fox and Hound, for example (also located near the center of Tulsa's actual economic downtown, just down the street at 71st & Garnett).

However, they (retro games in particular) quickly lose their appeal when trying to bring in repeat business, which is essential to surviving the Tulsa market, since we are not exactly a hub of tourism.

I think the idea sounds cool, but the revenues will be flat. Maintenance won't be fun either, as buzzed players can be rough on old games like that.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2010, 06:46:33 pm »

I really hate to sound like a wet noodle again, but I have my doubts that such a project as this "Retropub" can be successful in downtown Tulsa. I will watching this with interest.

IF the downtown area could support such a place, I would think a D&B's would have had their eye on a location there. Instead, Dave & Buster's chose to locate in the ECONOMIC center of Tulsa-- 71st and Hwy 169. This is where all the money is spent, and development costs have skyrocketed.

Retro games can be placed in ANY bar, and some bars have a small selection of coin-op games and pool tables, like Fox and Hound, for example (also located near the center of Tulsa's actual economic downtown, just down the street at 71st & Garnett).

However, they (retro games in particular) quickly lose their appeal when trying to bring in repeat business, which is essential to surviving the Tulsa market, since we are not exactly a hub of tourism.

I think the idea sounds cool, but the revenues will be flat. Maintenance won't be fun either, as buzzed players can be rough on old games like that.

Sheesh dude, why so negative lately?  You are starting to sound like AMP that used to post on here. 

Why stand around and watch to see if something will be successful instead of ensuring it will?  Instead, it sounds as if you spend your money on national over-hyped dreck like D & B's when there are local entrepreneurs willing to take the risk and use imagination to anchor future development of downtown.  I'm curious how many people thought opening a pizza joint on Elgin between 1st & 2nd street was a good idea?  Or opening what has become one of the more respected pubs in the region half a block from there?  All this without the benefit of a ball park even being on the books yet.

"This is where all the money is spent, and development costs have skyrocketed."

Catch 22.

Take a look at the rent factor on those developments and tell me how it looks in another two years if we are in such dire economic straights as you keep claiming.

National chains fail all the time, one main reason is development costs and being over-leveraged as a result.

Keep your "economic downtown".  I'll continue to frequent the "real" downtown.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
JoeMommaBlake
Civic Leader

« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2010, 08:57:05 pm »

Hawkins,

I appreciate your concern for our Retropub. I'll be happy to address the issues you've raised and explain some rationale. Additionally, I have some opinions about 71st street.

Our place will be nothing like Dave and Busters. It's more of a bar than an arcade. We'll have a combination of retro arcade games as well as some newer ones and skee-ball. That's about where the similarities end. Our food (small menu) will be served by bartenders. There are no entrees, servers, swipe cards, or children. The Max is more of a retro-themed bar that happens to have arcade games than it is an arcade that serves food and drinks. Dave and Busters tends to be tourist oriented, while The Max is geared towards the locals that hang downtown. Much like an Irish themed bar, biker bar, billiards bar, music venue bar, or karaoke bar has a theme, we do too. Ours is just way more unique (and it can be argued broadly appealing) than theirs.

You're exactly right. . . and we will prove that point by having nearly 30 of them. As for Fox and Hound. I know that I'm not alone when I say that I'd rather shoot myself in the face than hang out there. There is a very strong sentiment in this town that downtown is cooler, better, more original, more charming, more fun, and more of a big city urban feel. That sentiment (held by however many people happen to hold it) is sufficient to keep my neighbors and I quite busy down here....far far away from the "economic center." Tulsans want excuses to go downtown and support it. They want things to do other than just eat and drink. We're giving them some options. As we add new things, especially in the Blue Dome District, we're not dilluting our base, we're just making it that much more appealing and more viable.

71st and 169 sure isn't the hub of tourism. Downtown, however, houses a large number of business travelers, and regional fans of any of the acts that play the Cains, Brady, PAC, or BOK. People often forget that to people who live in Wagoner, Tulsa is a big city and a weekend in T-town is fun. . . and they have that fun in our downtown. Just because some Tulsans are too closed off to realize that the only truly unique entertainment experiences to be had are far away from south Tulsa, doesn't mean our regional neighbors share the opinion. It's important to udnerstand that I'm not wholly relying on the games to "bring in my business." Good bars with good bartenders and a strong selection tend to do pretty well regardless of their accessories. I'd argue that most bars could change all kinds of offerings inside and keep their base of customers as long as the bartender and the drinks stay the same. Additionally, I would argue that video games have no more or less appeal than darts, pool, and shuffleboard - very common bar games. The difference is, The Max has a whole room full of games and we're one of two places in town that does (the other being D&B).

As for 71st Street. . . Tony Roma's, Tia's, Smokey Bones BBQ, Jazmos, Al's Bistro, Grady's, Elephant Bar, Up the Creek, Nestle Toll House and Subs, Coach's, Okie Dokie's, Tulsa Brewing Co., Burger King, etc. National chains with big corporate backing somehow couldn't make it in the land of milk and honey. McNellie's, Blue Dome Diner, Dilly Deli, Joe Momma's, Caz's, Lola's, Mexicali, Spaghetti Warehouse, El Guapo's, etc. are all downtown...and somehow surviving despite being a 15 minute drive from 71st street, many for years and years. I can only think of 1974 Bar and Grill and Tsunami that have gone out of business downtown. One wasn't that good and the other was poorly run, but was doing well as far as customers go.

In closing, as much as I work to make Tulsa a better place, I'm in business to make money. I wouldn't have opened Joe Momma's here if I didn't think it would make money, and if it wasn't, I sure wouldn't go chasing after failure (or even mediocrity) with another risky venture. Our successful downtown ventures only stand to get better with the increased interest and traffic that the ballpark brings. I think you'll see that despite the lack of faith that so many Tulsans have in their city, in a few years, the "economic center" will be back where it should be...in downtown.

"Make no little plans. They have no magic to stir men's blood and probably will not themselves be realized."
- Daniel Burnham

http://www.joemommastulsa.com
jtcrissup
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2010, 09:32:08 am »

Blake, you are the man...right behind you on every point you made.  I have traveled a lot around the US, and I have seen the 71st street corridor in every town across the country, and it really makes me sick.  I don't know anyone who "likes" that part of town, and yet so many people frequent the businesses there, and therefore support the decisions by corporations to locate in a suburban sprawl center.  I much prefer the "ma and pa" establishments that give you the feel of originality and give you something to be proud of when you go (and when you have out of towners you have something "Tulsa" to show off).  Thanks for all the hard work you do!
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org