A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 28, 2024, 06:13:12 am
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tulsas Underground Tunnels  (Read 7517 times)
tulsamommyof3
« on: January 25, 2010, 08:19:20 pm »

Was wondering if anyone knows information on Tulsas Underground Tunnel System??? Like where can you go to get to them. I think it would be interesting to go see them. I'd like to get some awesome pictures. I would appreciate any information Thank You!
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2010, 08:24:12 pm »

http://www.tulsadowntown.org/userFiles/tunnels.pdf
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2010, 08:26:57 pm »

Guess I didn't realize we had any other than the storm drain system.  There were some areas that were like tunnels downtown under the old Union station area.  Used to run around there many years ago.  Even got a piece of the stone trim from the station in about 1968.  Not sure what happened to it.  That 'underground' area always had trains going through.  Be careful.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2010, 08:28:50 pm »

Huh.  That's interesting.  New stuff happening all over downtown.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
tulsamommyof3
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2010, 11:19:40 pm »

Yes there are underground tunnels I guess from the early-mid 1900s. It was so some of the local business men could go from one building to another without getting robbed I do believe. I've heard you can get to it from alot of business downtown. But, not for sure which ones. I am going to try to look it up and see.
tulsamommyof3
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2010, 11:26:09 pm »

Here's what I found from a website:

Buried beneath downtown Tulsa, a system of secret underground tunnels were built to connect many of Tulsa's early skyscrapers.  The tunnel system was designed at first for freight, but soon became a millionaires highway, protecting the wealthy and elite from danger.  This is a story of Tulsa's secret tunnels. 

Tulsa Tunnels: A Guide
He stood at the window, clutching his brown fedora in his hands, admiring the "queen of the Tulsa skyline."  Waite Phillips was proud of his creation.  The Philtower was completed in 1927, and the building he now stood in, the Philcade, was completed just two years later.  He felt as if he owned the city, and still, he was humble enough to know that if it weren’t for his elder brothers and the support of the community, he wouldn't be where he is today.

Still, as with all wealthy businessmen of the day, Waite Phillips had to remain vigilant.  The lawlessness that centered in Chicago during the 1920's and 30’s spread fear across the country, especially among many prominent and powerful citizens.  Many millionaires began taking precautions, especially after the son of Charles Lindbergh was abducted in 1932.

From this fear of crime and chaos in a distant part of the country, the Tulsa underground tunnels were born.

Construction of the Tulsa tunnels began in 1929 with an 80-foot underground tunnel running between the Philtower and the Philcade.  The tunnel was originally designed as a way to transport materials between the two buildings, however due to the rash of kidnappings of wealthy businessmen in Chicago at the time, Waite Phillips felt secure in being able to move freely between the two buildings

* 2436396_f248.jpg (12.04 KB - downloaded 450 times.)
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2010, 07:07:09 am »

Unfortunately the philtower-philcade tunnel is closed to the public.
FOTD
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2010, 08:10:52 am »

Yes. Hawkins boyz need to wise up....it will help them lease up the Philtower...

The tunnels may be in big demand come the next big winter event this Thursday....
PonderInc
City Dweller
City Father

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2010, 11:41:58 am »

The tunnels look like they got a remodel in the 70's...unfortunate timing for a new "look."  People who work at Williams use them to get to the Atlas Grill in bad weather.  Still, there are some nice historic photos on display in one section of the tunnel, and you get to discover some businesses that operate in the basements of various buildings.

You start in the "south garage" (accessed via the lower level of the Crowne Plaza or the PAC) -- look for the the sign to the "Third Street Tunnel" (I think that's what it says).  This takes you through the basement levels of the South Boston Building (past the bank's impressive vault door), over to the Kennedy Building on the east side of Boston, through the Mid-Continent Building, and then to the Atlas Life Building.  (You have to do a lot of wiggling and jogging through the lower levels of various buidlings to connect the dots.)  I never could figure out how to get beyond the Atlas Building, so I'm excited that there's another tunnel...even if temporarily closed.

Here's a cool route/map from Lost Tulsa on Flickr:

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://farm1.static.flickr.com/25/62498547_74f8cf52e9.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.flickr.com/photos/losttulsa/62498547/&usg=__pROLqi278wIZOr29zNLJrWeXPSc=&h=412&w=500&sz=181&hl=en&start=1&um=1&tbnid=Han-YNJlTZ19MM:&tbnh=107&tbnw=130&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dtulsa%2Btunnels%2Bkennedy%2Bbuilding%26ndsp%3D20%26hl%3Den%26rlz%3D1R2GWYA_enUS350%26um%3D1
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org