A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 20, 2024, 03:25:26 am
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Well this sucks. Tulsa World Archives only got back to 1989  (Read 4238 times)
Ibanez
City Father

« on: July 05, 2010, 10:01:28 pm »

I guess nothing important happened before then.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2010, 10:43:16 pm »

I guess nothing important happened before then.

Yeah, maybe them getting on teh inturwebz??

Be a little difficult to get data on the internet before you were actually publishing it there.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
TURobY
Social Butterfly
City Father

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2010, 05:18:10 am »

I'd hate to be the person to have to transcribe all the analog prints to digital.

---Robert
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2010, 05:21:59 am »

Most likely everything in the archives was done with indesign, or previously, pagemaker. I'm guessing 1988 and before they relied on manual printing processes as graphic layout software was almost unheard of. (This is the Windows 1.x era which was worse than Vista)
AngieB
Proud Westsider
City Father

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2010, 05:52:52 am »

Yeah, I'm sure they were still doing paste-up in '88, '89. And InDesign hasn't been out *really* all that long (in the grand scheme of things)...they probably were using Pagemaker then Quark.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2010, 06:48:21 am »

Has anyone suggested outsourcing to a small asian country with questionable child labor laws and a scanner?
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2010, 06:55:45 am »

You should be able to go much further back on microfiche or microfilm at the World office or library.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Ibanez
City Father

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2010, 07:07:32 am »

You should be able to go much further back on microfiche or microfilm at the World office or library.

Yeah, that's the plan. Silly me....I thought maybe they would have scanned in older editions.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2010, 07:34:09 am »

Yeah, that's the plan. Silly me....I thought maybe they would have scanned in older editions.

'Scanning in' as you put does any number of things.  If you 'scan in', you can't search (images can't be searched for letters/words).  You can attempt to scan in and use OCR (that's optical character recognition) to transcribe.  The problem is that is labor intensive (most OCR software has a hard time handling the columned format of newspapers, therefore requiring a LOT of editing) and the justification would be next to nil.

Plus, putting the fiche library online consumes a LOT of bandwidth, especially if in image format.  Bandwidth isn't free.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

DolfanBob
City Father

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2010, 09:18:31 am »

'Scanning in' as you put does any number of things.  If you 'scan in', you can't search (images can't be searched for letters/words).  You can attempt to scan in and use OCR (that's optical character recognition) to transcribe.  The problem is that is labor intensive (most OCR software has a hard time handling the columned format of newspapers, therefore requiring a LOT of editing) and the justification would be next to nil.

Plus, putting the fiche library online consumes a LOT of bandwidth, especially if in image format.  Bandwidth isn't free.

Hoss. You render me speechless.

Changing opinions one mistake at a time.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2010, 09:19:52 am »

Hoss. You render me speechless.

I've been told I have that effect on people.

Whether or not it's a good thing, the jury is out on...

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2010, 09:41:08 am »

If they figured there was enough demand to justify the payback, they'd upload older archives. I don't think it would ever be lucrative enough for the World but a paper like the NYT, LA Times, or Chicago Trib could generate pretty good revenue from it I would think.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
dbacks fan
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2010, 10:10:20 am »

Yeah, I'm sure they were still doing paste-up in '88, '89. And InDesign hasn't been out *really* all that long (in the grand scheme of things)...they probably were using Pagemaker then Quark.

I did a lot of voice and data cabling at Penn Well in the mid 90's (93 thru 96) and they were just starting to use Apple applications for layout and design, a lot of it was paste-up.
waterboy
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2010, 11:42:37 am »

Yes, I was at NPC up through '89. They were still doing paste-ups and shooting film from them. In fact, that is why I left. Unable to convince them that the digital age had arrived, I bought a Mac computer, scanner and some Pagemaker, then Quark, software to produce ads camera ready for my clients who were unhappy with the newspaper's production.

When I was responsible for 5 pages of camera ready ads in one issue, they took notice and began the change.
Nik
Philanthropist

« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2010, 07:21:07 pm »

At least it's free. That's a rarity These days
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org