A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 29, 2024, 11:31:16 am
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Paint, Siding or Ceramic Coating for House?  (Read 21075 times)
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2010, 11:41:47 am »

"good painters" is the crux of the matter, isn't it?  Good painters spray and then roll or brush it out.
As mentioned, there are dozens of neighborhoods where the paint was sprayed, not brushed/rolled and now is fading in stripes (one spray coat).  Drive around anywhere.  They are everywhere.

Simplifications and exaggerations?  Where is that?  Straightforward, complete statements of the facts of the matter.  No extra words just for the sake of words.

But in fairness to Anchor, I am going to get some of their paint to do some painting with.  See if it is better than it has been.  I would love nothing better than to buy from an Oklahoma company - I consciously work toward that end every chance I get.

And going from light to dark is much easier to hide in one coat than going from dark to light.  I would always rather do that.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
waterboy
« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2010, 01:54:59 pm »

You can't compare painting in new construction of tract housing with older homes. Custom built would be a better comparison. As I noted above my father, my brother, myself and my uncle painted my house with a combination of spray equipment (airless) and brushes, with Anchor paint no less, and the paint lasted 15 years each time. I could still just touch it up, but I'm a painter at heart. I am no defender of Anchor, that was the best price at that time for a product we knew was dependable. I actually prefer Red Devil for interiors and Sherwin Williams makes a good product as well.

Anyway, we had a combined experience of over 150 years on all kinds of buildings with all kinds of equipment including conventional. We didn't roll or brush after the spray. I've only heard of that being done on sheet rocked interiors to get a textured finish because the paper on sheet rock tends to fuzz up when the paint hits it, unlike plaster walls. Not saying it isn't done, just not necessary on an exterior unless you want an effect or the paint sprayer is poorly adjusted or poorly used.

There are tons of people who have painting experience but finding the ones with GOOD experience is difficult I'm sure.
HoneySuckle
Philanthropist

« Reply #32 on: September 13, 2010, 03:07:26 pm »

Waterboy is right about finding a good one with experience is hard.  It's near impossible at times!

So I am now getting quite confused.  One says if they spray (which is what this painter told me he is doing with one coat no less), he may need to use a brush also?  But then Waterboy is saying that is not necessary if it is done well?

waterboy
« Reply #33 on: September 13, 2010, 04:22:30 pm »

Waterboy is right about finding a good one with experience is hard.  It's near impossible at times!

So I am now getting quite confused.  One says if they spray (which is what this painter told me he is doing with one coat no less), he may need to use a brush also?  But then Waterboy is saying that is not necessary if it is done well?

I'm speaking from my own experience. You can get a good job of painting with an airless spray system and under the right circumstances (good surface prep, light color you're painting over and good quality paint) one coat can suffice. Many of the high quality paints now include primers and mildewcides in the paint. Airless systems are pretty simple, even homeowners can use them and get good results. He may elect to brush the window facings and trim rather than shield them, I would. But listen, talk to an architect if you know any. They usually seem to know the efficacy of products and techniques inside and out. They also may know of some respectable tradesmen.

Sorry for the confusion. The one thing you can depend on among tradesmen is that the way they do it....is the right way. Wink
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #34 on: September 13, 2010, 08:52:26 pm »

Finding a qualified painter (or any other craft!) is a difficult thing.  It just so much depends on intangibles that cannot be quantified by the Better Business Bureau.  Over the years, I have been very lucky to find good people to do things that I cannot.  (Automatic transmission repair, air conditioner repair, painting when I don't want to, general mechanic stuff.  Still looking for a good plumber!)

For me, a process has worked out that seems to serve me well.  I identify a small project that is big enough to give representative results, but not necessarily the whole job I eventually want done.  Then get someone to do that one thing.  For painting, it might be to paint a small storage shed in the back yard.  Or just the garage door and surrounding face/trim around the door - leaving the bulk of the house alone.  Not always feasible, but can really give good insight if it can be made to work.

Casually related - new sheet rock - seal with primer before applying texture to make life easier.  Zinnser is great.  Kilz is very good.  Water based for new sheet rock.

You could just paint it yourself.  Just need to be a little bit acrobatic.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
HoneySuckle
Philanthropist

« Reply #35 on: September 14, 2010, 11:15:11 am »

I remember a friend who tried to paint his own house a couple years ago.  He fell and broke his hand.  Don't want that happening to me, plus we just don't have the time.

Ever heard of Ross Bros?  I had them install my windows over three years, Andersen Renewal.  They did one large window in my kitchen first.  I was impressed.  Then I hired them to do all of upstairs (Cool windows.  There was an issue with one window in the bathroom (large), and I called.  They came out twice to repair the caulking and trying to seal it to see if that would help.  Nada.  They changed out the window.  This is a company I trust because I have had issues, and they get to them right away.  I had them change out 13 windows downstairs last year.  We had a leaky window.  They came out to fix it. 

Now I want to find out if they do exterior painting.  I know that the brothers, Glen and Van tend to care about their customers so I feel safer with them. 

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #36 on: September 15, 2010, 07:52:08 pm »

That could be a good way to get a painter contact.  See if the window guys have a painter they work with - they are less likely than most to recommend someone that might tarnish their own reputation.

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org