A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 30, 2024, 11:29:43 am
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rendering for super large prints  (Read 4354 times)
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« on: September 01, 2010, 07:05:14 am »

Need some advice on printing and rendering.

I use photoshop to create my images and have only used jpg.  But I want to have large prints made on occasion.  Some of the printing companies I have been looking at online dont want a jpg image or prefer another image type ( I believe its gif, or  png, tiff, or a raster image, or something like that lol)   From what I gather, they say you can't just "convert"  a jpg to another type and it work, you have to create the image in that other type from the start.

For example...  I am wanting to have something like this image made into a banner for the Gatsby Picnic.

I want the banner to be about 4' tall by 14' long.   I started creating a high resolution image with 300 dpi and 36" long as a jpg, but am worried that even this will get pixilated and have rough edges on the curved parts (the little jpg "boxes") when blown up to 14' long.  

Question is...

How should I be creating images that I might want blown up super large?

What format or file type should I use so that as the image is blown up, it wont get those jagged edges?

Any advice would be much appreciated.  
« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 07:15:07 am by TheArtist » Logged

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2010, 07:22:19 am »

You need to use EPS or some other vector format. Also, you need to switch to Illustrator instead of Photoshop. Photoshop operates on the premise that the size you are working on is the final print size.
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2010, 07:52:03 am »

I use illustrator almost exclusively for developing logos and typography.  Illustrator uses vector files instead of raster files.  The difference is rather simple.

A vector file is mathematical.  A line, or curve, or gradient, follows a mathematical formula and every time you enlarge it, that image is recalculated, so the images are smooth and can be enlarged to any size.  Additionally when you are working with sign companies or any company that uses a plotter or cutter, the vectors can be converted into cutting pattern.  AI, EPS, SVG, and PNG are some file formats that support vectors.

A raster file is simply an image.  Just like a camera, when you blow it up you can see the pixels or grain that it is composed of.

Now. . .Using Illustrator takes a completely different skill-set than using Photoshop.  You have to learn how to plot and manipulate lines and gradients using a whole new set of tools.  At first you will want to throw your computer out a window, but when and if you master it, you will love it.  Illustrator has been the downfall of many fine artists. Once they acquire a grasp of this Godlike tool and the billions of opportunities it unleashes they tend to abandon the brush.

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2010, 08:26:22 am »

Now. . .Using Illustrator takes a completely different skill-set than using Photoshop.  You have to learn how to plot and manipulate lines and gradients using a whole new set of tools. 

Uuuuugh!   Took forever to figure out photoshop... not that I really have that figured out. Never took any classes or read any tutorials, just started playing with it.  But have been thinking of getting a newer version, so instead may go ahead and get Illustrator and start the looong process of learning that.  May try seeing if there are any classes or do some tutorials this time around.

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2010, 09:08:31 am »

Uuuuugh!   Took forever to figure out photoshop... not that I really have that figured out. Never took any classes or read any tutorials, just started playing with it.  But have been thinking of getting a newer version, so instead may go ahead and get Illustrator and start the looong process of learning that.  May try seeing if there are any classes or do some tutorials this time around.

Illustrator comes with some fairly good tutorials.  There are also several resources online.  I think at least one class to get you started would be invaluable.  After you get the basics, you can spend the next 10 years learning the creative part.  I use it every day and have since 1999.  I still only scratch the surface of what it can do.  I guess that's why it's so expensive. 

nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2010, 12:24:08 pm »

Much good advice. If the original resolution you were working at his high enough, you can get a reasonably good looking banner out of it, though.  You may have noticed the beer banners at Reasor's or wherever? Very few distributors bother to hire somebody with Illustrator experience. You'll notice that except for the lettering, it's all raster. That's how the assets from the brewery come.

And just so you know, I hate sign printers. They may be one of the most maintenance-intensive pieces of equipment ever connected to a computer.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2010, 12:54:47 pm »

Much good advice. If the original resolution you were working at his high enough, you can get a reasonably good looking banner out of it, though.  You may have noticed the beer banners at Reasor's or wherever? Very few distributors bother to hire somebody with Illustrator experience. You'll notice that except for the lettering, it's all raster. That's how the assets from the brewery come.

And just so you know, I hate sign printers. They may be one of the most maintenance-intensive pieces of equipment ever connected to a computer.

Tell me about it.  I have a 36in Vinyl Master in my garage.  The cutting/printing software is a bear too.  Much of it is made in France and therefore devoid of customer service.

nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2010, 01:06:15 pm »

Tell me about it.  I have a 36in Vinyl Master in my garage.  The cutting/printing software is a bear too.  Much of it is made in France and therefore devoid of customer service.
Yeah, the software my clients use looks like it hasn't been touched since 1995. I wasn't the one who ordered it, so I don't know what it costs, but my impression is that the software is several thousand bucks. You'd think for that kind of scratch you'd get something from at least this century.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2010, 01:43:27 pm »

Much of it is made in France and therefore devoid of customer service.

"Hah! Seely Ameereecan, I will feed you sheet on a sheengle, sharge you double see preece, and make you like eet.  Zeere's your customel serveece!"

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2010, 01:45:06 pm »

That dude was awesome in Ronin.

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2010, 02:25:27 pm »

That dude was awesome in Ronin.

Even better in 'The Professional'.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2010, 09:56:05 pm »

Great, was going to print up some t-shirts and now they want Illustrator or vector images as well.  Seems like photoshop is pretty much crap if you want anything printed. I wouldn't have spent months on some of my designs, and years learning the program if I had known all that work was going to be pretty much worthless.  Ugh, I feel sick.  But surely there has got to be some way to turn a jpg into a vector image because arent photos taken as jpg and you see photo images in illustrator and vector images that have been printed?

TURobY
Social Butterfly
City Father

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2010, 05:33:52 am »

Great, was going to print up some t-shirts and now they want Illustrator or vector images as well.  Seems like photoshop is pretty much crap if you want anything printed. I wouldn't have spent months on some of my designs, and years learning the program if I had known all that work was going to be pretty much worthless.  Ugh, I feel sick.  But surely there has got to be some way to turn a jpg into a vector image because arent photos taken as jpg and you see photo images in illustrator and vector images that have been printed?

Haven't tried it, but I googled and found this: http://vectormagic.com/home

Also, you could try outputing as PDF (if you are only using shape and text layers) and opening the PDF in illustrator, as Photoshop outputs its PDFs as vector art (again, only if you are using shape and text layers).

---Robert
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2010, 06:55:37 am »

Haven't tried it, but I googled and found this: http://vectormagic.com/home

Also, you could try outputing as PDF (if you are only using shape and text layers) and opening the PDF in illustrator, as Photoshop outputs its PDFs as vector art (again, only if you are using shape and text layers).

He is not.  He is using complex gradients.

TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2010, 07:10:11 am »

Thanks for the tip TURobY, will give that a try.  Am trying to get t-shirts like this printed up to sell and help raise some money for the Tulsa Art Deco Museum effort.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org