A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 29, 2024, 05:17:03 pm
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: National Celiac Awareness Day  (Read 2597 times)
HoneySuckle
Philanthropist

« on: September 13, 2010, 07:50:33 am »

That would be today!!  Woohoooo!

Awhile back I had posted asking about gluten free restaurants or menus.  It used to be much harder to get a meal out and not be sick.

Things have changed sooooo much now.  We can find GF food items at every grocery store, and the majority of them are delish.

I head about a couple places on Peoria for lunch.  One I want to try is Cafe Samana.  I believe they do vegan, vegetarian and gf items. 

Do we have any members who are Celiac or am I the only one to date?  Come out of the closet guys and embrace your gluten free situation Grin

RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2010, 07:58:12 am »

I know more than a few kids that are Celiac, but no adults. Is this condition fairly new?

Power is nothing till you use it.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2010, 12:05:18 pm »

Kind of like the explosion of diabetes, autism and alzheimers (sp?) we have seen in the last 30 years or so.  There is something going on beyond the simplistic explanations of diet.  Several things are relatively new - the dramatic increase in aluminum compounds in contact with the body.  The switch to high fructose corn syrup over sugar (both are poison).  The dramatic reduction of lead in our immediate environment.  (Wouldn't that be a big bite if we found out that lead consumption on a small/moderate scale was keeping us 'healthy' from these other problems?  Yuck!)

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
HoneySuckle
Philanthropist

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2010, 03:09:34 pm »

"As far back as 250 A.D., Aretaeus of Cappadocia included detailed descriptions of an unnamed disease in his writings. When describing his patients he referred to them as "koiliakos," which meant "suffering in the bowels." Francis Adams translated these observations from Greek to English for the Sydenham Society of England in 1856. He thus gave sufferers the moniker "celiacs."

Read more here:

http://www.csaceliacs.org/CD.php

I will share my story tomorrow if I have some free time.  The years of pain and suffering and being misdiagnosed. Cry

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2010, 03:12:32 pm »

I've cut out as many food additives as possible other than natural ingredients and I swear it's made a huge difference in (especially) allergies, energy level, and weight loss.  I've never had a gluten problem myself but I don't believe this is a very new disorder, I think it's only something which has been taken serious the last 10 to 20 years.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
cynical
Civic Leader

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2010, 05:48:09 pm »

Plenty of adults suffer from it. 

I know more than a few kids that are Celiac, but no adults. Is this condition fairly new?

godboko71
Philanthropist

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2010, 05:57:54 pm »

Has less to do with it being new and more to do with it being more wide known and therefore more readily diagnosed.

Thank you,
Robert Town
HoneySuckle
Philanthropist

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2010, 11:17:09 am »

The adults you may know now with Celiac were once kids with Celiac, but went mis or undiagnosed.

The amount of doctors, money on medication and surgery that wasn't needed is appalling.

If only doctors would educate themselves after medical school, and learn to listen. Cry

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org