A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 29, 2024, 07:29:41 am
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The SQ lawsuits are starting.  (Read 22715 times)
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« on: November 04, 2010, 07:40:04 am »

We saw this coming.

We are a short sighted people if nothing else.

The loss of more matching federal funding was never pushed very hard by some of our glorious leaders.  Now that we're looking at that, the reactions are "wait...what?"

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2010, 07:52:39 am »

We saw this coming.

We are a short sighted people if nothing else.

The loss of more matching federal funding was never pushed very hard by some of our glorious leaders.  Now that we're looking at that, the reactions are "wait...what?"

Loss of matching federal funding on what?  Which question?

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2010, 08:07:34 am »

Apparently we're risking loss of matched funding for sooner care and insure Oklahoma.

I know most of us don't use it but many do.

Dan Newberry's idea of starting a dialogue by instituting litigation with the federal government is less than brilliant.

Our state is one of the most obese, heaviest smoking, heaviest drinking in the country but by God, screw medical coverage.

Sorry, Linky:

http://www.kjrh.com/dpp/news/local_news/oklahoma-%26-healthcare-reform
« Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 08:09:48 am by Townsend » Logged
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2010, 08:16:43 am »

The lawsuits I heard were both stupid and I would think they would get thrown out quickly.

The first was on voter id. Since you get a voter id card when you register, I can't see how it can be unconstitutional to require you to show it.

The second was on english as the official language. Nothing in the bill restricts the government or citizens in any way, it just says that a non-english speaker cannot sue the state for not providing a form or service in their native language.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2010, 08:19:26 am »

Sorry dude, I'm not feeling the outrage here:

"Some worry if the new law will impact the programs' federal funding.

Senator Adleson says the passage of SQ756 is only symbolic."

Who is worried about this?  There's no quoted source in the story saying we could lose federal funding.

Wanna go have a McRib and OE 40 for lunch and stop off for a carton of butts at the smoke shop afterwards?

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2010, 08:21:04 am »

The second was on english as the official language. Nothing in the bill restricts the government or citizens in any way, it just says that a non-english speaker cannot sue the state for not providing a form or service in their native language.

Has that happened alot?
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2010, 08:25:02 am »

Has that happened alot?

I was drafting a case against the state for not being able to file my taxes in Klingon, but I have to forgo it now.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2010, 08:27:34 am »

I was drafting a case against the state for not being able to file my taxes in Klingon, but I have to forgo it now.

If Klingon can be recognized as a Native American language you're golden.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2010, 08:37:16 am »

I had several years of German language class in high school but I have forgotten most of it.  I was hoping we could get state forms to be in German to force me to brush up on my German.   I guess that won't happen now.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2010, 08:37:19 am »

Google language lawsuits.  I used the term native language lawsuits.  It's like a rash.

sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2010, 08:41:01 am »

If Klingon can be recognized as a Native American language you're golden.

They did first arrive in Broken Bow, Oklahoma.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2010, 08:44:07 am »

They did first arrive in Broken Bow, Oklahoma.

That is a very good point.

MajQa
jamesrage
Philanthropist

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2010, 08:52:02 am »

I figured that the sore losers,attention whores and other degenerates would be throwing a fit by filing junk law suits. This Oh the poor and elderly won't be able to vote since they do not have ID is a load of garbage. My mother was poor single mother raising 5 kids and she still had a driver's license. A ID only cost 10 dollars(renewals are probably cheaper). The only people who should not have state IDs are the long term residents in correctional facilities and little kids seeing how they won't cash checks, try to get benefits or use other tax payer funded services or the services of a bank.

Considering the fact this is the US our language is english our official business therefore should be done in English. The state of Oklahoma should not end up like California with multilingual ballots,signs, forms and ect. Our government should not carter to people too damn lazy to learn english. We are not asking foreigners to speak like a grammar nazi (I am sure some grammar nazi will point out how hicks talk or how I type sentences)or to get a college degree in it.  All we ask is that you be proficient in it.

I also heard that CAIR is filing a lawsuit against the SQ that bans judges from using foreign law an sharia law. If you want to use sharia law then you are in the wrong country and if you want a judge to cite Mexico's, France or Britain's laws then you are in the wrong country.

A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those
CoffeeBean
Civic Leader

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2010, 10:14:25 am »

Most of the SQs seem like a solution in search of a problem.  If international law has invaded our court system, you wouldn't know it by practicing law.  If people are voting under false names, there doesn't appear to be much evidence of it.  If people are suing the state for ballots or forms in a different language, so what?  The only people against greater access are the people with something to hide.       

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2010, 10:39:01 am »

Most of the SQs seem like a solution in search of a problem.  If international law has invaded our court system, you wouldn't know it by practicing law.  If people are voting under false names, there doesn't appear to be much evidence of it.  If people are suing the state for ballots or forms in a different language, so what?  The only people against greater access are the people with something to hide.       

There's a fear of greater access because of our leaky borders and piss poor immigration control.  Voter fraud has existed as long as there have been democracies.  What's the big issue of carrying a simple card which says you are elligible to vote?

Voting isn't simply a right, it's also a privelege.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org