A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 29, 2024, 03:34:39 am
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Federal Judge blocks Oklahoma Constitutional Amendment  (Read 7446 times)
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2010, 01:58:12 pm »

That is indeed the case in some predominantly Muslim countries, but not by any means all.

The fact that some predominatly Muslim countries choose to ignore that part of Sharia Law isn't much different than the Reformation vs. the Roman Catholic Church a few years ago.

RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2010, 01:59:17 pm »

I am just glad that, for now I hope, the voters were wrong on this one.

I also think the voters were wrong on almost everything else last Tuesday as well. I am used to being in the minority. I haven't voted for a congressman who won in 22 years.

Power is nothing till you use it.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2010, 02:02:32 pm »

I am just glad that, for now I hope, the voters were wrong on this one.

I also think the voters were wrong on almost everything else last Tuesday as well. I am used to being in the minority. I haven't voted for a congressman who won in 22 years.

It used to be "safe" to vote Republican in local elections.  Your candidate almost never won, you could complain about the way things were being run and that you had the right to complain because you voted.

I might have to start voting Democratic.   Grin

RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2010, 02:31:03 pm »

Republicans have ran Tulsa for almost my whole lifetime.

We have only had one democratic Congressman in fifty years.

Six of the last ten Mayors were republicans. Six of the nine city councilors are republicans.

Two of the three county commissioners are republicans. The county officers, including sheriff, assessor, clerk, treasurer and district attorney are all republicans.

Of the 18 state representatives with Tulsa County in their district, only five are held by the democrats and one of those, seat 66, went to the republicans last Tuesday.

I have been outvoted before.

Power is nothing till you use it.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2010, 12:42:02 pm »

Six of the last ten Mayors were republicans. Six of the nine city councilors are republicans.

Two of the three county commissioners are republicans. The county officers, including sheriff, assessor, clerk, treasurer and district attorney are all republicans.

Of the 18 state representatives with Tulsa County in their district, only five are held by the democrats and one of those, seat 66, went to the republicans last Tuesday.

You forget our former Democrat Senator, David Boren.  I voted for him.  But you know me, I vote my candidates like race horses: I almost always pick a winner.

I really have given more thought to the issue of straight party line voting.  I wish that were not allowed in balloting.  I realize taking this option away might not keep someone from voting for every R or D on a ballot but at least it might force some voters to become a little more aware of the candidates they are about to elect. 

There are a couple of people I work with who said they did straight party-line.  I think it's a waste of a vote and resulted in the state losing some great administrators in some commission races, and it sounded like Priest was a great AG candidate.  While I appreciate the conservative undertone to the elections, I think blindly voting for one party or the other really rips off candidates and the rest of the electorate who actually think about who and what they are voting for.

I also think commission, sheriff, and auditor races don't need to be partisan.  I honestly cannot see any logical reason to have elected Doak, Jones, or Costello other than the national sentiment trickled into state elections.  If these commissions were non-partisan, I have a feeling the outcome would have been different.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
custosnox
Fly in the Ointment
City Father

« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2010, 12:55:05 pm »

You forget our former Democrat Senator, David Boren.  I voted for him.  But you know me, I vote my candidates like race horses: I almost always pick a winner.

I really have given more thought to the issue of straight party line voting.  I wish that were not allowed in balloting.  I realize taking this option away might not keep someone from voting for every R or D on a ballot but at least it might force some voters to become a little more aware of the candidates they are about to elect. 

There are a couple of people I work with who said they did straight party-line.  I think it's a waste of a vote and resulted in the state losing some great administrators in some commission races, and it sounded like Priest was a great AG candidate.  While I appreciate the conservative undertone to the elections, I think blindly voting for one party or the other really rips off candidates and the rest of the electorate who actually think about who and what they are voting for.

I also think commission, sheriff, and auditor races don't need to be partisan.  I honestly cannot see any logical reason to have elected Doak, Jones, or Costello other than the national sentiment trickled into state elections.  If these commissions were non-partisan, I have a feeling the outcome would have been different.
Just imagine how it might end up if the straight party voting was taken out, along with any indication as to the party.  Just put the office they are running for, and the names of the people in alphabetical order.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2010, 12:55:25 pm »

Jim Jones was more than enough.  I know Mike Synar's district got the north edge of Bixby but I thought it also got some of southeast Tulsa too.

What were the local statistics in the early 70s?  It seemed like mostly Democrats to me.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2010, 12:59:03 pm »

Just imagine how it might end up if the straight party voting was taken out, along with any indication as to the party.  Just put the office they are running for, and the names of the people in alphabetical order.

It would make a candidate run on issues particular to the office they seek instead of spouting off party-line platitudes in their advertising.  It might acutally require that a candidate understand what the job entails and might get more people to pay attention to things like unpaid tax liens in a candidates past or present.

Being pro-life, pro-gun, and endorsed by the Tea Party doesn't make one whit of difference in whether or not someone is ready to serve as the sheriff, insurance commissioner, labor commissioner, county commissioner, or state auditor.  It's simply trying to get the voters to identify with you even if you are completely ill-suited for the job you are running for.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2010, 10:18:19 pm »

A lot of this Sharia uproar came about from a telecom company dispute with a contract in a Muslim country.  Something soured and their 'sour grapes' started a movement.

The contract specifically stated and was agreed to that all contract disputes are to be interpreted under Sharia law.  Kind of like when I enter into a contract, the terms specify that it is to be interpreted under Oklahoma law.  Well, they didn't like it after the fact so tried to change the outcome.  (Sounds like the RWRE....)

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org