A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 22, 2024, 10:20:07 pm
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tulsa West Bank Development  (Read 53761 times)
Hawkins
« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2010, 09:11:55 pm »

If the Riverwalk hadn't been such a failure for him, then perhaps Jerry Gordon could have made it happen here as well.

But given his history, with financing issues always chasing him, and partnerships evaporating all around him, it is not surprising in the least that the Mayor's office gave him the cold shoulder.

He was in the Tulsa World recently threatening to sue his last business partner/Riverwalk investor over Riverwalk management rights if I remember correctly. The city of Tulsa doesn't need more of that.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #31 on: December 16, 2010, 10:47:08 am »

From their web page headar, he's not a very good spellar at al:

JRG Developments, LLC
      Developing a Differance since 1982

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #32 on: December 16, 2010, 10:54:47 am »

From their web page headar, he's not a very good spellar at al:

JRG Developments, LLC
      Developing a Differance since 1982

It's a bad bad website all around.  I bet he has a kid that does it.  It's built with GoDaddy's Website Tonight engine. . .but then again, I'm a bit of a web snob.

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
waterboy
« Reply #33 on: December 16, 2010, 11:40:24 am »

I'm not surprised at the level of communication or the website sophistication. They blew a bundle on opening advertising in Tulsa People. I like that mag just fine but to depend on it for your main opening vehicle was one of several blunders. But at the time they smugly fancied themselves the Utica Square of Jenks/South Tulsa. They told prospective tenants that the low water dam was to open within 12 months and that would create a mountain of customers and pr. Then in spite of the hype, they grand opened with Cabos, a childrens store, Gino's, Gary's, a nail salon and I think Tsunami's. Underwhelming.

They grossly missed their target shopper. People showed up with Sonic bags and camped near the path while the kids ran around.

I have been back several times and it appears they have started to move towards reality but there is still not enough tenant variety to draw from 5 miles away. It still has plenty of potential when the economy swings back and a dam is reality.
Teatownclown
City Father

Put the "fun" back into dysfunctional, Tulsa!

« Reply #34 on: August 08, 2011, 02:33:04 pm »

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=334&articleid=20110808_11_A1_CUTLIN94234

Not only are the posties at TNF getting tired but the RFP submissions look like the bottom of the river....

Pathetic.

Where are the looters defenders of fiscal responsibility. These are more lackluster than the TDA proposal finalists in last weeks TW.

Bloodsuckers. Ain't no bread in the city breadbox....just crumbs.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #35 on: August 08, 2011, 03:20:04 pm »

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=334&articleid=20110808_11_A1_CUTLIN94234

Not only are the posties at TNF getting tired but the RFP submissions look like the bottom of the river....

Pathetic.

Where are the looters defenders of fiscal responsibility. These are more lackluster than the TDA proposal finalists in last weeks TW.

Bloodsuckers. Ain't no bread in the city breadbox....just crumbs.

Those were horrible.  A total bucket of smile.

800 ft. oil derrick?  Did an 800 ft. Golden Driller appear to them?

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #36 on: August 08, 2011, 03:20:49 pm »

Yeah, underwhelmed is a good description. Dazed and confused is another. 80 story oil derrick? Well, good place to put a cellular transmitter I guess. That one has been floating around for a decade. At least they moved it onto the bank from its original concept of being in the middle of the river. Roller coaster and theme park next to a seniors complex? I don't see that synergy.

I have to admit, its time to have someone from outside look at us and give a second opinion as to why we can't show much creativity with the West Bank. Or, just wait. No hurry. The Whitewater kayaking segment of the low water dam will be the biggest incentive for developing the area. Some really good ideas will come from that.

Blue Rose is untested as yet. Everyone goes to a new restaurant in a unique location. But unless everything is just right fickle Tulsan's are already looking for another fave before the startup costs are met.

onward...through the fog
ZYX
Philanthropist

« Reply #37 on: August 08, 2011, 03:21:42 pm »

I will cry long and hard if that oil derreck is built. 700-800ft tall, just think of how ugly that would be! Wow, imagine if we would have had the almost naked indian and this, that would have been interesting. Although, I like the idea of the American, but it would just be over the top cheesy with both.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #38 on: August 08, 2011, 03:24:27 pm »

Yeah, underwhelmed is a good description. Dazed and confused is another. 80 story oil derrick? Well, good place to put a cellular transmitter I guess. That one has been floating around for a decade. At least they moved it onto the bank from its original concept of being in the middle of the river. Roller coaster and theme park next to a seniors complex? I don't see that synergy.

I have to admit, its time to have someone from outside look at us and give a second opinion as to why we can't show much creativity with the West Bank. Or, just wait. No hurry. The Whitewater kayaking segment of the low water dam will be the biggest incentive for developing the area. Some really good ideas will come from that.

Blue Rose is untested as yet. Everyone goes to a new restaurant in a unique location. But unless everything is just right fickle Tulsan's are already looking for another fave before the startup costs are met.

An 800 foot obstruction on the extended glide path for Riverside airport is a really bad idea.  They would have trouble getting that past the FAA, IMO.

I've heard grumblings about the parking situation at Blue Rose and this was not entirely unexpected, especially when they are sharing a parking lot with people coming down to the river for recreation.  But, I don't believe it's seriously affected their till.

DTowner
City Father

« Reply #39 on: August 08, 2011, 03:46:41 pm »

Given the quality of these proposals, I'm surprised The Channels did not make a return appearance.

I wonder if the likelihood that there will be no federal money any time soon to pay for dam(s) to keep water in the river had an effect on the number and type of proposals.  I can't see anyone wanting to sink a lot of money on an already risky location (refineries/public housing as neighbors) without assurances that the water issue will be addressed.

TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #40 on: August 08, 2011, 04:10:15 pm »

The oil derreck thing just made me wince.  What, are third graders coming up with this stuff?  Fortunately if they are relying on donors, its not going to get built.

Olympic stadium!  Seriously?!  OMG let this one die please.  

Theme park with a Theme hotel by a Retirement Center...  At first glance I know it will sound absurd to most because your thinking "kids/teens and amusement park".  But, having parents and other relatives of retirement age that practically live at Disney World and Branson, if you pull it off right and keep out the riff raff this one could actually work.  We aren't talking Bells where fights are breaking out and its run down, we are talking clean, themed, cutsey, entertainment, shopping, restaurants, few themed rides, Disneyfied sanitized fantasy streetscapes, controlled by a corporation with strict dress and behavior controlls.  You will get them old people and middle class suburbanites in there lol. They like a safe, clean, people sanitized environment. Just as long as someone with deep pockets isnt stealing my DECOPOLIS, deco era, 20's-50's theme park idea.  Cuz if they iiiis, Louigi the Knee Cap Man will be payin someone a viiiisit  Cool.  

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
DowntownDan
City Father

« Reply #41 on: August 08, 2011, 04:43:28 pm »

I wish these people pushing for the olympics would just stop.  It's making a laughing stock of our city.  Lets focus on something real, not something that would never happen, and even if it did, what the hell is Tulsa going to do with an Olympic size stadium afterwards but suck money and fall apart without any use?  Just let it go.  Otherwise, these proposals are all underwhelming.  I guess the west bank is just destined to be what it is for the next few decades.  I wonder if the shady apartments nearby have a negative affect.  Maybe build Branson Landing type apartments on the west bank, and have someone convert the shady apartments into a nice (completely renovated) retirement community, if there is a market for retirment community on that side of the river.
AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #42 on: August 08, 2011, 04:59:13 pm »

I want to emphasize what someone else said. Those apartments are not a big problem as far as behavior. Yes, the people are poor but the buildings are well kept and have been recently renovated. There isn't a burgeoning crime wave over there.

But, yes, the perception may be holding development back. Just like the exhorbitant cost of the cement plant, the former Litho building, the railroad and the city public works buildings. Nothing that can't be resolved however. Especially if you have a good idea and some financial support behind you. Then those other problems start to resolve themselves.

onward...through the fog
Truman
Citizen

« Reply #43 on: August 08, 2011, 05:42:31 pm »

A giant oil derrick

The man with the "Giant Indian" will be next in line.

SXSW
City Father

« Reply #44 on: August 08, 2011, 06:36:25 pm »

Still a fan of turning it all into a big park space with a larger amphitheater and then redeveloping the Westport apartments into something denser.  Keep the "development" on the east bank i.e. redevelopment of Riverview area into denser apartments/condos around Riverside & Denver, the residential development of the Blair property by the pedestrian bridge and the redevelopment of the Crow Creek apartments at 31st & Riverside.  

The latter two projects could have some interesting synergies with the whitewater park proposed for the pedestrian bridge area and the eventual construction of a Crow Creek jogging/bike trail from the river to Brookside/Zink Park.

I saw someone posted on the TW that the West Bank should be like Tulsa's version of Austin's Zilker Park/Auditorium Shores and I totally agree.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org