A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 28, 2024, 08:16:29 am
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: So.... Man of the people?  (Read 2609 times)
Gonesouth1234
« on: March 06, 2011, 05:36:08 pm »

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=11&articleid=20110306_11_A22_CUTLIN638815

I am all for cleaning up the city, and was almost floored when the NCAA picked the hometown for March Madness.

But this angle of the story sort of smells like yesterday's fish.  

The general idea of the article is a good one, to let visitors know just how great a city this is.  And it is.

But how much trash was actually picked up his honor . . the chief executive?

Just seen to many photo ops to really believe the angle of the story.

Is this the work of the $100,000 press mouthpiece, or did he finally slip out the back door?
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2011, 06:28:30 pm »

I was busy and did not participate in this cleanup.

The Mayor's office asked us to help by offering bags and gloves to any group that wanted to pick up trash for the next couple of weeks. We agreed and then the Mayor decided he wanted to do some work himself on Saturday. They quickly found some volunteers to clean with him.

I think he was sincere. I bet he picked up a lot of trash on Saturday. It was a messy site they picked.

Each of the Mayors in the last 25 years of my career have each picked up litter. Yes, some of them did it for an hour only once, but they all did work and work hard.

Susan Savage would work every year at a site and make her staff help. She would stay long after the television cameras left and keep cleaning. Once, we had a hundred volunteers and she was one of the last three. She would jump in the creek and pick up heavy stuff.

Kathy Taylor was probably the best at picking up litter. She did it all the time. There would be a press conference at a park or a school and Kathy would stop and pick up trash all the time. It really bothered her and she would not wait...if she saw it on the ground, she picked it up and carried it to the trash can.

Power is nothing till you use it.
Gonesouth1234
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2011, 07:33:12 am »

I was busy and did not participate in this cleanup.

The Mayor's office asked us to help by offering bags and gloves to any group that wanted to pick up trash for the next couple of weeks. We agreed and then the Mayor decided he wanted to do some work himself on Saturday. They quickly found some volunteers to clean with him.

I think he was sincere. I bet he picked up a lot of trash on Saturday. It was a messy site they picked.

Each of the Mayors in the last 25 years of my career have each picked up litter. Yes, some of them did it for an hour only once, but they all did work and work hard.

Susan Savage would work every year at a site and make her staff help. She would stay long after the television cameras left and keep cleaning. Once, we had a hundred volunteers and she was one of the last three. She would jump in the creek and pick up heavy stuff.

Kathy Taylor was probably the best at picking up litter. She did it all the time. There would be a press conference at a park or a school and Kathy would stop and pick up trash all the time. It really bothered her and she would not wait...if she saw it on the ground, she picked it up and carried it to the trash can.

Thanks, RM. 

Your posting showing some background on this is why I enjoy this forum so much.  Although I still retain the right to carry a sharp stick and poke it at our leaders. 
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2011, 09:59:51 am »

I got the opportunity to work with Mayor Taylor on a couple of projects and I found she really wasn't all about the photo opp.  She would show up early and leave well after the cameras were gone.  I was truly amazed at her genuine interest in the community.

And this is coming from someone who could never see anything good or altruistic in her motives her first year or so in office.  She really was a dynamic leader and Tulsa is poorer for her not running for a second term.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Gonesouth1234
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2011, 06:48:41 am »

I got the opportunity to work with Mayor Taylor on a couple of projects and I found she really wasn't all about the photo opp.  She would show up early and leave well after the cameras were gone.  I was truly amazed at her genuine interest in the community.

And this is coming from someone who could never see anything good or altruistic in her motives her first year or so in office.  She really was a dynamic leader and Tulsa is poorer for her not running for a second term.

I felt  the same , especially after the way the downtown assessment district charges for the ball park were pushed through. 

But compared to what we have today, it begins to make the Taylor administration look dynamic.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org