A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 29, 2024, 10:30:54 am
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Shame on the carpenters union for flying the USA Flag upside down  (Read 20659 times)
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« on: March 11, 2011, 01:37:47 pm »

So the carpenters union (of Arkansas), which has been protesting every job they bid on and don't get, has been protesting the University of Tulsa since 2008-9 over losing out on a drywall contract at Skelly Stadium.  They hire guys to stand in front of TU with a huge banner saying "Labor Dispute.  SHAME on the University of Tulsa."

Of course, it isn't really a labor dispute, they just didn't get the bid.  They protested the Mayo, TU, Arvest, Southern Hills, some gated community...  Also, they have been known to hire outside non-union labor to protest for them (they did employ some homeless downtown to protest at the Mayo for a while, which is nice).  So they are already a joke in most books.

Today I drove by and saw this:

Generally flying the American Flag upside down is seen as poor taste unless there is an emergency (or you are trying to make a political statement?).  Or, perhaps, the labor they hired to protest for them is paid so poorly that they simply don't know any better.  My guess is their attention whoring over missing a contract bid just needed to be ramped up.

Stay classy carpenters union.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2011, 02:04:29 pm »

Boy, they are really barking up the wrong tree in this town!

Last week the bums picketing (sitting in lawn chairs) across from the Montereau had their sign leaning on a tree while they napped.  This is illegal.  They must be holding their sign, and it cannot be on private property.

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2011, 05:53:59 pm »

Of course, what does it say about a carpenters union
that makes their sign frame out of plastic pipe...

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2011, 06:50:24 pm »

lol....

cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2011, 01:38:31 pm »

I might have to inquire!

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2011, 09:40:45 pm »

Inquiring minds want to know.

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2011, 09:39:25 pm »

That's pretty funny.  Like the plastic touch.
(Cheaper that any wood I have found lately.)

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Ed W
City Father

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2011, 02:47:41 pm »

Flying the flag upside down is a distress signal.  And I don't understand the objection to this since unions are in such obvious distress just now.  Would the solution to this be to strip unions and their members of their First Amendment rights too?

Ed

May you live in interesting times.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2011, 02:51:56 pm »

Flying the flag upside down is a distress signal.  And I don't understand the objection to this since unions are in such obvious distress just now.  Would the solution to this be to strip unions and their members of their First Amendment rights too?

Of course not.  They are just as entitled to symbolic over the top hyperbole just like the rest of us.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
buckeye
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2011, 12:05:25 pm »

Well, everytime I step away from TN forums for a little while and come back, there's at least one wild, irrational post that deserves a little attention.  So let me ask, are you crazy?

The carpenter's union is "protesting" jobs that they overbid.  You ask too much money for the job, you don't get hired.  But that's not good enough for the entitled fools in charge, so they try to shame the buyer into a different frame of mind, one where the labor is simply paid as much as they ask without regard to anything else.  Fools then hire indigents that have no connection to the union to "protest", i.e. stand around near the signs all day.  Or part of the day.  Or take naps.  Have you been unaware of this ongoing nonsense since 2008 or so?

Flying the flag upside down is indeed hyperbole, bordering on the absurd in this case.  I suppose the Arkansas carpenter's union does have a constitutionally protected right to make utter asses of themselves with inane crap like this, but how long would any other group get away with being a public nuisance in this way?

It grinds my gears, if you couldn't tell.
Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2011, 12:52:07 pm »

Well, everytime I step away from TN forums for a little while and come back, there's at least one wild, irrational post that deserves a little attention.  So let me ask, are you crazy?

The carpenter's union is "protesting" jobs that they overbid.  You ask too much money for the job, you don't get hired.  But that's not good enough for the entitled fools in charge, so they try to shame the buyer into a different frame of mind, one where the labor is simply paid as much as they ask without regard to anything else.  Fools then hire indigents that have no connection to the union to "protest", i.e. stand around near the signs all day.  Or part of the day.  Or take naps.  Have you been unaware of this ongoing nonsense since 2008 or so?

Flying the flag upside down is indeed hyperbole, bordering on the absurd in this case.  I suppose the Arkansas carpenter's union does have a constitutionally protected right to make utter asses of themselves with inane crap like this, but how long would any other group get away with being a public nuisance in this way?

Excelent Post.....

Ed W
City Father

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2011, 03:17:34 pm »

So you agree that they have a constitutionally protected right to make asses of themselves to free speech, yet they shouldn't be permitted to exercise that right?  Yes, it may be a nuisance and it may 'grind your gears' but until or unless they've done something illegal, they still have the right to annoy you.

And no, I'm not crazy.  Did you wander in here from the TW comments sections?

Ed

guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2011, 04:10:37 pm »

So you agree that they have a constitutionally protected right to make asses of themselves to free speech, yet they shouldn't be permitted to exercise that right?  Yes, it may be a nuisance and it may 'grind your gears' but until or unless they've done something illegal, they still have the right to annoy you.

And no, I'm not crazy.  Did you wander in here from the TW comments sections?

Where in the he!! were you with all this "free speech" stuff during the tea party protests. Here's a reminder of how this forum looked at those protests.

http://www.tulsanow.org/forum/index.php?topic=13210.0

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
Ed W
City Father

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2011, 04:28:34 pm »

Guido, I really don't care how 'the forum' looked at those protests.  I'm speaking my mind here, writing about my own point of view.  I'm not concerned about consensus or groupthink.  But since you seem to have a need to derail the thread, let's look at the Tea Party and their First Amendment rights, or for that matter, let's consider the First Amendment and how it impacts those W###boro Baptist protesters.  It's no different for the Carpenters Union.

As someone pointed out long ago, the First Amendment is a two edged sword.  If it protects your right to speak, it offers equal protection to those who disagree with you. 

Ed

guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2011, 04:36:56 pm »

Guido, I really don't care how 'the forum' looked at those protests.  I'm speaking my mind here, writing about my own point of view.  I'm not concerned about consensus or groupthink.  But since you seem to have a need to derail the thread, let's look at the Tea Party and their First Amendment rights, or for that matter, let's consider the First Amendment and how it impacts those W###boro Baptist protesters.  It's no different for the Carpenters Union.

As someone pointed out long ago, the First Amendment is a two edged sword.  If it protects your right to speak, it offers equal protection to those who disagree with you. 

Oh, I'M derailing this thread...

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org