A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 29, 2024, 10:31:07 am
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Shame on the carpenters union for flying the USA Flag upside down  (Read 20661 times)
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #45 on: March 30, 2011, 09:18:10 am »

It's just a favorite talking point by one or more on TNF.
Yep.

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #46 on: March 31, 2011, 09:41:09 pm »

Illegals are an integral part of the economy and definitely participants in construction as well as many other industries.

Wouldn't it be nice if this country that pounds its chest and trumpets so much about be a country that respects the "rule of law" would actually enforce its laws??  And if those laws are inadequate, make the penalties for those encouraging the illegal behavior serious enough to end the behavior.  The Oklahoma law took a shot at it.  Didn't stick.  Must be on federal level.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #47 on: April 01, 2011, 07:11:57 am »

So what you're saying is that the union is harassing TU because the federal government doesn't have a workable immigration policy? 

Oh I didn't realize that. They should make their sign more clear.  I though they were pretending it was a "labor dispute."

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
we vs us
City Father

« Reply #48 on: April 01, 2011, 08:10:19 am »

The carpenter's union is "protesting" jobs that they overbid.  You ask too much money for the job, you don't get hired.  But that's not good enough for the entitled fools in charge, so they try to shame the buyer into a different frame of mind, one where the labor is simply paid as much as they ask without regard to anything else.  Fools then hire indigents that have no connection to the union to "protest", i.e. stand around near the signs all day.  Or part of the day.  Or take naps.  Have you been unaware of this ongoing nonsense since 2008 or so?

I thought this was a really interesting response about the bid process.  IMO it mistakenly assumes that the process ends with the award of the bid.  The free market allows for all sorts of innovation to claw business back or to shape the environment in which future bids are issued.  This happens to be a relatively innovative way to do both.  Whether it succeeds is a different matter, but it's undeniably a marketing strategy.

You don't have to award a bid to the lowest bidder and you don't have to award a bid to someone you like. I think it's interesting that we think there's a "fair" way to compete for the bid and an "unfair" way, and that by mounting shady street protests it steps outside the allowable bounds. 
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #49 on: April 01, 2011, 11:36:39 am »

I thought this was a really interesting response about the bid process.  IMO it mistakenly assumes that the process ends with the award of the bid.  The free market allows for all sorts of innovation to claw business back or to shape the environment in which future bids are issued.  This happens to be a relatively innovative way to do both.  Whether it succeeds is a different matter, but it's undeniably a marketing strategy.

You don't have to award a bid to the lowest bidder and you don't have to award a bid to someone you like. I think it's interesting that we think there's a "fair" way to compete for the bid and an "unfair" way, and that by mounting shady street protests it steps outside the allowable bounds. 

They are employing tactics not much different than how the mob does things: intimidation. 

"Employ us or we will send homeless people to protest on or near your property for the next several years."

Oh, and Buckeye, I like the way you summarized it: "Protesting jobs they overbid."

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #50 on: April 01, 2011, 11:45:25 am »

You don't have to award a bid to the lowest bidder and you don't have to award a bid to someone you like.

Nor does one have to accept a bid just because it's union.  Well, at least not in every location.

A purchasing agent once told me to get 5 bids.  Throw out both the highest and lowest bids.  Then choose among the middle priced ones.

patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #51 on: April 01, 2011, 06:52:09 pm »

It could be worse, like these strong arm tactics yesterday, from the Wall Street Journal:

Dated March 28, 2011, the letter is addressed to "DEAR UNION GROVE AREA BUSINESS OWNER/MANAGER," in Racine County. And it begins with this warm greeting: "It is unfortunate that you have chosen 'not' to support public workers rights in Wisconsin. In recent past weeks you have been offered a sign(s) by a public employee(s) who works in one of the state facilities in the Union Grove area. These signs simply said 'This Business Supports Workers Rights,' a simple, subtle and we feel non-controversial statement given the facts at this time."

The letter is signed by Jim Parrett, the "Field Rep." for Council 24 of the American Federation of State, County, and Municipal Employees, which is the most powerful union in the AFL-CIO.

The missive concludes by noting that, "With that we'd ask that you reconsider taking a sign and stance to support public employees in this community. Failure to do so will leave us no choice but do [sic] a public boycott of your business. And sorry, neutral means 'no' to those who work for the largest employer in the area and are union members."

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #52 on: April 01, 2011, 08:18:40 pm »

It could be worse, like these strong arm tactics yesterday, from the Wall Street Journal:

Dated March 28, 2011, the letter is addressed to "DEAR UNION GROVE AREA BUSINESS OWNER/MANAGER," in Racine County. And it begins with this warm greeting: "It is unfortunate that you have chosen 'not' to support public workers rights in Wisconsin. In recent past weeks you have been offered a sign(s) by a public employee(s) who works in one of the state facilities in the Union Grove area. These signs simply said 'This Business Supports Workers Rights,' a simple, subtle and we feel non-controversial statement given the facts at this time."

The letter is signed by Jim Parrett, the "Field Rep." for Council 24 of the American Federation of State, County, and Municipal Employees, which is the most powerful union in the AFL-CIO.

The missive concludes by noting that, "With that we'd ask that you reconsider taking a sign and stance to support public employees in this community. Failure to do so will leave us no choice but do [sic] a public boycott of your business. And sorry, neutral means 'no' to those who work for the largest employer in the area and are union members."

And this is why I will never, ever, use union labor for anything for the rest of my years.

we vs us
City Father

« Reply #53 on: April 01, 2011, 09:10:33 pm »

And this is why I will never, ever, use union labor for anything for the rest of my years.

Because they're all evil evil evil and whatever one does means the rest of 'em will do. 
we vs us
City Father

« Reply #54 on: April 01, 2011, 09:19:09 pm »

Nor does one have to accept a bid just because it's union. 

And I'm not suggesting they should.  And I'm also not suggesting that it's good or right to take it to this extreme . . . or to break legs (which is really what the Mob does, rather than, you know, picketing a job site).  My point was that we choose not to see this as a market force in action because it seems impolite and somehow against the rules or against etiquette.  I've come up against a similar level of dirty-fighting in my industry recently, too, and I have to remind myself that so long as it isn't illegal it's "legitimate competition." 

guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #55 on: April 01, 2011, 09:36:41 pm »

Because they're all evil evil evil and whatever one does means the rest of 'em will do.  

So what you are saying is what the Wisconsin unions are doing is evil then; correct? How about the Indiana AWOLers? They "evil evil evil" also?
« Last Edit: April 02, 2011, 11:00:13 am by guido911 » Logged

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #56 on: April 02, 2011, 09:06:05 am »

And I'm not suggesting they should.  And I'm also not suggesting that it's good or right to take it to this extreme . . . or to break legs (which is really what the Mob does, rather than, you know, picketing a job site).  My point was that we choose not to see this as a market force in action because it seems impolite and somehow against the rules or against etiquette.  I've come up against a similar level of dirty-fighting in my industry recently, too, and I have to remind myself that so long as it isn't illegal it's "legitimate competition."  

Maybe some of the affected businesses should picket the Union Hall protesting high prices and whatever else they could prove in court.  That would be relatively novel in recent times.  I don't know if it has been done to any significant level in the past.

TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #57 on: April 02, 2011, 12:08:55 pm »

Haven't read all the posts on here but imo I am glad this union group is in town.  First off they are hiring people and its money coming into the city and state from elsewhere.  Secondly its great advertising for the businesses they are protesting in front of.  (Apparently they are under some absolutely absurd and silly notion that the people in this very conservative state are on the unions side? lol)  Everyone in town already knows what this group is about and could care less at this point BUT it is good, free, attention getting, advertising.  As soon as I have something that I will be building and needing sheetrock for I will hand them a card and ask them to come protest in front of my business.  It would be a way of employing people, and not on my dime, and hey are good at catching your eye so it would be some great free advertisement. Win win  Grin  I think everyone should do this and I hope the union keeps this up for many years to come.

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #58 on: April 02, 2011, 12:11:31 pm »

Maybe some of the affected businesses should picket the Union Hall protesting high prices and whatever else they could prove in court.  That would be relatively novel in recent times.  I don't know if it has been done to any significant level in the past.

Why picket them?  They might leave. The businesses are on the whole only being positively affected. Its good advertisment and hiring the protesters is putting money into the local economy.  Lets hope for more protesters. 

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #59 on: April 02, 2011, 01:28:17 pm »

Haven't read all the posts on here but imo I am glad this union group is in town.  First off they are hiring people and its money coming into the city and state from elsewhere.  Secondly its great advertising for the businesses they are protesting in front of.  (Apparently they are under some absolutely absurd and silly notion that the people in this very conservative state are on the unions side? lol)  Everyone in town already knows what this group is about and could care less at this point BUT it is good, free, attention getting, advertising.  As soon as I have something that I will be building and needing sheetrock for I will hand them a card and ask them to come protest in front of my business.  It would be a way of employing people, and not on my dime, and hey are good at catching your eye so it would be some great free advertisement. Win win  Grin  I think everyone should do this and I hope the union keeps this up for many years to come.

Clever take.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org