A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 23, 2024, 01:34:52 pm
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What new establishment would you like downtown?  (Read 53876 times)
LandArchPoke
« Reply #45 on: June 08, 2011, 01:36:00 pm »

Honestly, that sounds pretty freakin' awesome!

This would be awesome! Start from the top of the BOk Tower and end at Boston Methodist church  Grin
OurTulsa
« Reply #46 on: June 10, 2011, 11:28:51 am »

Thought of another.

A big iconic water fountain with pool set in a plaza surrounded by eating establishments and other active commercial fronts.  One big enough that fair numbers of people can congregate around the edges.  One shallow enough that kids (and kids at heart) can wade their feet in.  I think I saw one in AggieArch's conceptual (which I like btw).

I always liked the stallions fountain in the Plaza (KC) except for it's location, bound on three sides by busy multi-lane streets.
Dana431
Armchair Urbanist
Civic Leader

« Reply #47 on: June 10, 2011, 12:11:28 pm »

I think we could use a Vegan Black Metal restaurant in downtown.   Smiley

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CeZlih4DDNg

DTowner
City Father

« Reply #48 on: June 10, 2011, 01:01:48 pm »

More employers - especially headquarters or regional offices.  I know that is not what the orignal question was asking, but Tulsa needs real and significant growth to attract and support all of the great ideas identified in this thread.  Oh, and a movie theater like an Alamo Drafthouse would be at the top of my wish list.
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #49 on: June 10, 2011, 01:05:36 pm »

Thought of another.

A big iconic water fountain with pool set in a plaza surrounded by eating establishments and other active commercial fronts.  One big enough that fair numbers of people can congregate around the edges.  One shallow enough that kids (and kids at heart) can wade their feet in.  I think I saw one in AggieArch's conceptual (which I like btw).

I always liked the stallions fountain in the Plaza (KC) except for it's location, bound on three sides by busy multi-lane streets.

I had something like that in the Cathedral Square idea I proposed in front of the Holy Family Cathedral.  You could also put a large Christmas tree in the center and turn the shallow part into a skating rink in the winter.  What a knock-out view that would be sitting under an outdoor loggia at a sidewalk cafe facing west, seeing the cathedral  and fountain lit up at night, people watching as they shop around the square... sigh.  Its a classic element that so many great cities have, and we still have the opportunity to be able to create one that would be stunning.

Here is one version of that.  Change the cathedral there to ours (I think ours would actually be prettier), imagine a fountain off there in the center, and add a loggia to the front of some shops (that perhaps have living and offices above). Can even be a very contemporary loggia of some sort for shade.  Then imagine what it would look like at night all lit up
« Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 03:14:57 pm by TheArtist » Logged

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
Teatownclown
City Father

Put the "fun" back into dysfunctional, Tulsa!

« Reply #50 on: June 10, 2011, 01:11:15 pm »

Nice Dana....but Tulsa won't support healthy eating....

Dbackup, there's no way IKEA comes to Teatown.
Jeff P
Civic Leader

« Reply #51 on: June 10, 2011, 01:41:06 pm »

This would be awesome! Start from the top of the BOk Tower and end at Boston Methodist church  Grin

Sorry - there's no way our Life Safety/Security group would go for that.

Wink
dbacks fan
« Reply #52 on: June 10, 2011, 01:58:15 pm »

Nice Dana....but Tulsa won't support healthy eating....

Dbackup, there's no way IKEA comes to Teatown.

I'm quite well aware of that. I was just pointing out the average size of one of their locations in relation to space downtown.
BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #53 on: June 16, 2011, 08:22:21 pm »

What's the status of this building (google maps)

It seems primo for some hip lofts, bar, restaurant, office space, or anything without boards on the windows.  Those windows face east onto the Reconciliation park and oneok field... There are also windows on the south side facing downtown.
ZYX
Philanthropist

« Reply #54 on: June 16, 2011, 08:32:35 pm »

Your link puts me on the corner of 2nd and boulder
BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #55 on: June 17, 2011, 06:42:15 am »

Your link puts me on the corner of 2nd and boulder
Weird... puts me on the street view of Detroit & Cameron
OurTulsa
« Reply #56 on: June 17, 2011, 08:47:23 am »

What's the status of this building (google maps)

It seems primo for some hip lofts, bar, restaurant, office space, or anything without boards on the windows.  Those windows face east onto the Reconciliation park and oneok field... There are also windows on the south side facing downtown.

The north 1/3 is owned by the Stadium Trust while the southern 2/3 is owned by GKFF Real Estate.  Who knows what/when will happen.  It's a great building from the street and office/res up top would seem like a great idea with big open store/restaurant fronts on the sidewalk.  I can't imagine a commercial conversion of the site any time soon.  There's not enough north of the building to generate enough traffic to justify. 
rdj
City Father

« Reply #57 on: June 17, 2011, 09:45:57 am »

The north 1/3 is owned by the Stadium Trust while the southern 2/3 is owned by GKFF Real Estate.  Who knows what/when will happen.  It's a great building from the street and office/res up top would seem like a great idea with big open store/restaurant fronts on the sidewalk.  I can't imagine a commercial conversion of the site any time soon.  There's not enough north of the building to generate enough traffic to justify. 

This would be great housing for OSU Tulsa professors/researchers.  I wish they would do something really cool for that group on the UCAT land.  But, I digress.

Live Generous.  Live Blessed.
DowntownDan
City Father

« Reply #58 on: June 17, 2011, 04:30:45 pm »

A real sports bar.  There are places with TV's that you can watch sports, but I mean a place that emphasizes it like Buffalo Wild Wings or Fox & Hound.  Not that it needs to be one of these chains, just using that type atmosphere with several TVs and a focus on watching sports.
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #59 on: June 18, 2011, 06:27:24 pm »

+1 on more marquee employers or regional offices.  Young professionals, hate them as you may, working, living, and spending money downtown will drive all the "cool" growth you want.  More people in denser areas in general...  and work draws them.  Plus business rehabing old buildings or occupying existing ones prevents more surface parking.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org