A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 23, 2024, 01:13:49 pm
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What new establishment would you like downtown?  (Read 53870 times)
Weatherdemon
Civic Leader

« Reply #90 on: March 12, 2012, 11:34:50 am »

The old gym is on 51. Smiley

And yes, it is being made into conference/training rooms.

The Board Room on 52, which is getting a bit dated, is also scheduled to be re-done.

Ha! I wouldn't call our floor swanky.  It's just a cube farm with a nice view. Smiley 

They used to have weddings up here, back when 50/51 was a resturaunt/bar like the Summit Club.

But it's been office space for some time now... since about 2001/02, IIRC.

Thanks for the info!
we vs us
City Father

« Reply #91 on: March 13, 2012, 07:28:05 am »

So now it appears that Ruth's Chris will be located in the One Place tower.  And it was described to me as a done deal.  So there. 
BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #92 on: March 13, 2012, 07:51:09 am »

So now it appears that Ruth's Chris will be located in the One Place tower.  And it was described to me as a done deal.  So there.  

Can't possibly be true.
Everybody knows that downtown can't support stuff.
Where are they going to park / one way streets / homeless people / people firing guns in the air!

Speaking of parking... just stumbled across
http://boingboing.net/2012/03/13/rethinking-a-lot-the.html
...ReThinking a Lot looks at the weird world of American parking, where the available non-residential parking spots cover a landmass the size of Puerto Rico, often sitting on prime real-estate in the middle of cities...
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 08:26:26 am by BKDotCom » Logged
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #93 on: March 13, 2012, 08:28:15 am »

Wow, in that little restaurant space with poor direct outside access?
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #94 on: March 13, 2012, 08:36:56 am »

So now it appears that Ruth's Chris will be located in the One Place tower.  And it was described to me as a done deal.  So there. 

Huh-uh. TTC said it can't be done and so its just not possible.
we vs us
City Father

« Reply #95 on: March 13, 2012, 08:47:34 am »

Huh-uh. TTC said it can't be done and so its just not possible.

Totally, right? 

If you think about it, it makes a lot of sense.  Consider that it will be a block from the Hyatt and a block from the BOK and a block from the new Aloft and a block and a half from the convention center.  Also about three blocks from the Mayo.  Also clustered between Cimarex, Northwestern Mutual, a raft of new condos, and a Homewood Suites (or whatever).  And it's a win for One Place as a marquee (for Tulsa) anchor tenant. 
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #96 on: March 13, 2012, 08:53:38 am »

One Place is the new Cimarrex building, right?

Hell, I never thought I'd see the day when there would be enough new development going on downtown that I'd even have to ask what or where a building was.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #97 on: March 13, 2012, 09:06:18 am »

One Place is the new Cimarrex building, right?

Hell, I never thought I'd see the day when there would be enough new development going on downtown that I'd even have to ask what or where a building was.

Sorry, got confused. I was thinking the FIRST Place Tower.
we vs us
City Father

« Reply #98 on: March 13, 2012, 09:22:10 am »

Yes, new Cimarex building.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #99 on: March 13, 2012, 09:26:28 am »

Thanks Wev.  Any idea if RC becomes somewhat of an anchor for other upscale national retail or food/beverage?

Chains and franchises aren't really my cup-o-tea, but if it brings more interest to the area from which the locals can benefit, they do serve their purpose.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
we vs us
City Father

« Reply #100 on: March 13, 2012, 09:50:10 am »

Thanks Wev.  Any idea if RC becomes somewhat of an anchor for other upscale national retail or food/beverage?

Chains and franchises aren't really my cup-o-tea, but if it brings more interest to the area from which the locals can benefit, they do serve their purpose.

From the convo I had, RC is definitely an anchor for more retail/restaurant in that specific project, though none have been named. In general, the retail/restaurant environment over there is just coming in to focus, and I think we'll hear more officially soon.  Also, when they announce whatever the hotel brand is, I think that will be an additional push. 

In addition to the other good things about adding an upscale chain, it sets a nice tone for the rest of the development, and arguably for the surrounding blocks.  If that part of the city is "Ruth's Chris-ish" then more upscale will come in. 

FWIW, I keep hearing rumbles about both Page Belcher and the open parking lot just north of where the Cimarex building is going up.  Nothing specific, just that stuff's happening.  For one supposedly the Fed's lease at Page Belcher is up soon.  And that block would be a perfectly place for a convention hotel.  But that's an idea that boomerangs back every year or so, so I'm not sure how seriously to take it. 

I sure do like spreading rumors around on the interwebs, though  Wink
DTowner
City Father

« Reply #101 on: March 13, 2012, 09:51:24 am »

I second that thought.  Additionally, chains, especially an upscale chain like RC, provide a level of validation that an area is development worthy that could open a lot of doors to additional development and developers who have been waiting on the sidelines.  If this happens, it is a very big deal.
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #102 on: March 13, 2012, 11:19:44 am »

I second that thought.  Additionally, chains, especially an upscale chain like RC, provide a level of validation that an area is development worthy that could open a lot of doors to additional development and developers who have been waiting on the sidelines.  If this happens, it is a very big deal.

I agree that the "validation" is key...it's akin to waving the start flag and moving the pace car out of the way. This is an exciting announcement; it could be the signal for more ground up development in other surrounding surface lots and definitely  makes the empty buildings on Cheyenne Ave more desirable. 
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #103 on: March 13, 2012, 01:02:19 pm »

Let's just hope the exuberance to re-develop doesn't create a bubble & glut. 

Bubble & Glut, that might make a great name for a pub...

DolfanBob
City Father

« Reply #104 on: March 13, 2012, 01:40:37 pm »

Let's just hope the exuberance to re-develop doesn't create a bubble & glut. 

Bubble & Glut, that might make a great name for a pub...

Kinda like "Three Sheets & Cooter Brown" lol

Changing opinions one mistake at a time.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org