A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 23, 2024, 01:02:01 pm
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What new establishment would you like downtown?  (Read 53867 times)
Jeff P
Civic Leader

« Reply #105 on: March 13, 2012, 01:47:41 pm »

So I've never been to a Ruth's Chris.

Sounds like it's an upscale steakhouse chain?  I'm guessing it's akin to Morton's or Flemmings?

And I also agree about the chain thing... it's not my cup of tea either, but once the chains -- especially upscale chains -- start locating downtown, you know we've reached a tipping point.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #106 on: March 13, 2012, 01:54:13 pm »

Sounds like it's an upscale steakhouse chain? 

Been to one.  Vegas.  Big mistake for that age.

Good place, bad idea for a group of 20-somethings on a bachelor party weekend.  Whoa momma.

The blue hairs sitting around us were very forgiving or understanding.
erfalf
City Father

« Reply #107 on: March 13, 2012, 02:25:34 pm »

Sounds like it's an upscale steakhouse chain?  I'm guessing it's akin to Morton's or Flemmings?

And I also agree about the chain thing... it's not my cup of tea either, but once the chains -- especially upscale chains -- start locating downtown, you know we've reached a tipping point.

Agreed, I know I will here the "don't Jenks my downtown" but having major chains locate in an area is an indication of desirability.

"Trust but Verify." - The Gipper
rdj
City Father

« Reply #108 on: March 13, 2012, 02:32:02 pm »

Agreed, I know I will here the "don't Jenks my downtown" but having major chains locate in an area is an indication of desirability.

I'm actually okay with chains being in downtown.  However, I want those chains built in a way that doesn't destroy the existing urban fabric.  For example, if Ruth's Chris was tearing down the buildings next to McNellie's to build a suburban style restaurant I would very much be opposed.

I find the arrival of chains to be a signal that the demographics of downtown are improving greatly.

Live Generous.  Live Blessed.
jacobi
Brain owner
Philanthropist

« Reply #109 on: March 13, 2012, 02:37:55 pm »

Is it just me or is ruth's Chris a Terrible name for a restaurant?  It makes me think of the rural juror from thirty rock.  I've said this before, chains are not in and of themselves bad.  Especially when they are something new that we haven't had before (that okc doesn't).

ἐγώ ἐλεεινότερος πάντων ἀνθρώπων εἰμί
Jeff P
Civic Leader

« Reply #110 on: March 13, 2012, 02:55:15 pm »

Is it just me or is ruth's Chris a Terrible name for a restaurant?  It makes me think of the rural juror from thirty rock.  I've said this before, chains are not in and of themselves bad.  Especially when they are something new that we haven't had before (that okc doesn't).

Ha!

It's definitely like "The Rural Juror."   Grin
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #111 on: March 13, 2012, 03:05:00 pm »

Is it just me or is ruth's Chris a Terrible name for a restaurant?

There's a story behind it. I think it was originally called Chris and then Ruth bought it and called it Ruth's Chris. I may have just made that up, though.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
erfalf
City Father

« Reply #112 on: March 13, 2012, 03:30:52 pm »

I'm actually okay with chains being in downtown.  However, I want those chains built in a way that doesn't destroy the existing urban fabric.  For example, if Ruth's Chris was tearing down the buildings next to McNellie's to build a suburban style restaurant I would very much be opposed.

I find the arrival of chains to be a signal that the demographics of downtown are improving greatly.

Not to sound like a parrot, but I agree as well. I would hope that any business would be mindful of it's surroundings. It would be just as inappropriate for say the new chocolate shop out on 71st to completely tear down the old Lone Star and build an urban building up to the street. People don't want to walk next to a race track, just like people don't want to walk through I parking lot downtown.

I would hope that businesses would keep this in mind, but I think I that would be giving most far too much credit.

I've been to a Ruth's Chris, although it has been quit some time. Around 2005 my wife and I went to one in San Antonio, just on the edge of downtown. I thought it was pretty good. They broil their steaks at incredibly high temperature. It allows the steaks to remain quit tender as no flames are used that may dry out other steaks. They must be expanding in general as my wife was just down in Fort Worth and she said one was just put in right next to the Hilton she was staying in downtown.

If it happens, it will be a good thing for downtown Tulsa. Where else do you get a steak downtown?

RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #113 on: March 13, 2012, 04:12:37 pm »

There's a story behind it. I think it was originally called Chris and then Ruth bought it and called it Ruth's Chris. I may have just made that up, though.

Yes. That is the story.

It serves an excellent, but pricy steak. I have eaten at a few of them. They are very nice.

Power is nothing till you use it.
DolfanBob
City Father

« Reply #114 on: March 13, 2012, 04:17:36 pm »

Oh wow, I thought I was alone on this. That name just rolls off the tongue weird. Then again it could be my Okie accent.

Changing opinions one mistake at a time.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #115 on: March 13, 2012, 04:24:15 pm »

Oh wow, I thought I was alone on this. That name just rolls off the tongue weird. Then again it could be my Okie accent.

I'd like to see these guys open up a few here.  I loved their restaurants back in the nineties when in I lived in Houston.

http://www.pappas.com/home/

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
erfalf
City Father

« Reply #116 on: March 14, 2012, 07:53:13 am »

I'd like to see these guys open up a few here.  I loved their restaurants back in the nineties when in I lived in Houston.

http://www.pappas.com/home/

Pappadeaux on Oak Lawn was one of my favorites in Dallas. I think the chain started in Arkansas, not sure why we haven't seen any in Oklahoma. Don't know too much about the other brands of Pappa's restaurants.

A similar restaurant with a little more casual atmosphere that I enjoyed was Razzoo's Cajun Cafe. Would be a fun addition around the Blue Dome.

dbacks fan
« Reply #117 on: March 14, 2012, 08:30:44 am »

Pappadeaux on Oak Lawn was one of my favorites in Dallas. I think the chain started in Arkansas, not sure why we haven't seen any in Oklahoma. Don't know too much about the other brands of Pappa's restaurants.

A similar restaurant with a little more casual atmosphere that I enjoyed was Razzoo's Cajun Cafe. Would be a fun addition around the Blue Dome.

I have eaten at the Pappadeaux several times when I lived in Phoenix, and it was always busy. Food and service was always good.
we vs us
City Father

« Reply #118 on: March 14, 2012, 08:44:34 am »

I'd like to see a Panera or a Cosi (http://www.getcosi.com/).  In general, we need a large-format cafe that bridges the major service times downtown.  Having a gathering place that's got mid AM and mid PM covered.  I know that both chains have urban concepts (as separate from the kinds we currently have in town) and would fit well in a ton of different ground level retail spaces, especially around Bartlett Square.  Unfortunately, I don't know for a fact that there's actually a need to bridge those service times yet, but I have a feeling, with more residential coming online and with the possibility of more young 'uns downtown with the TU/OU med school project, we won't be on such strict business-lunch hours.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #119 on: March 14, 2012, 08:45:33 am »

I'd like to see a Panera or a Cosi (http://www.getcosi.com/).  In general, we need a large-format cafe that bridges the major service times downtown.  Having a gathering place that's got mid AM and mid PM covered.  I know that both chains have urban concepts (as separate from the kinds we currently have in town) and would fit well in a ton of different ground level retail spaces, especially around Bartlett Square.  Unfortunately, I don't know for a fact that there's actually a need to bridge those service times yet, but I have a feeling, with more residential coming online and with the possibility of more young 'uns downtown with the TU/OU med school project, we won't be on such strict business-lunch hours.

Doesn't Billy's On The Square fit that niche now?

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org