A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 29, 2024, 07:31:24 am
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Oklahoma drops to 48th in annual health ranking  (Read 17472 times)
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« on: December 06, 2011, 04:48:44 pm »

Gets repetitive...

Oklahoma dropped two spots in an annual national health ranking to become the third least healthy state in the union.

The state is ranked 48th in overall health, compared to 46th last year, in America's Health Rankings by the United Health Foundation.

Louisiana and Mississippi were the two states ranking worse than Oklahoma.

The main reasons for Oklahoma's poor status are high rates of smoking, obesity and diabetes, as well as the low number of primary care physicians per capita.

In the past 10 years, obesity in Oklahoma has increased from about 20 percent of the population to more than 30 percent. Although smoking rates have decreased in the past five years, the state still ranks third from last with nearly 24 percent of the population smoking.

High points from the report included relatively low rates of binge drinking and infectious diseases.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=17&articleid=20111206_17_0_Oklaho358292

TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2011, 06:17:16 pm »

Woo hooooo!  We are #3! 

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2011, 12:47:51 am »

Hey, low incidence of infectious disease! I guess that means we're not dirty after all.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2011, 10:07:04 am »

Hey, low incidence of infectious disease! I guess that means we're not dirty after all.

or too lazy to rock the Casbah
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2012, 04:06:48 pm »

OPI FB post:

"Overall I would say it's a very encouraging ranking" - Secretary of Health Terry Cline on Oklahoma's ranking as 43rd healthiest state in the nation according to the United Health Foundation, up from 48th last year

So goodish news for us.
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2012, 12:51:27 pm »

Probably only because we haven't become healthier per se, but some other states have become even fatter and lazier smoky slobs than we are.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2012, 12:56:37 pm »

Probably only because we haven't become healthier per se, but some other states have become even fatter and lazier smoky slobs than we are.

Or Governor Fallin's healthcare plan is killing the sick faster than before.
sauerkraut
City Father

I Conquered The 2013 -2015 Polar Bear Plunge!!

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2012, 01:22:45 pm »

Wait till 'BamaCare starts and we find more surprises. The "Death Panels" will be making our health care choices for us. Oops I mean  the "Medical Advisory Board" aka "Death Panel Board".. We're in for a ruff ride. 'BamaCare starts full force in just about a year from now.

Proud Global  Warming Deiner! Earth Is Getting Colder NOT Warmer!
sauerkraut
City Father

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2012, 01:26:37 pm »

Governor Fallin is doing a great job, I'm very happy with her, she has our state's economy rocking & rolling, anyone who wants a job can find one in Oklahoma. The unemployment rate is 5%. We are in much better shape with Fallin then we were under Brad Henry the economy was in shambles back then under Henry. Fallin is doing her best to fight off 'BamaCare, we don't want 'BamaCare destroying our medical care system.

Teatownclown
City Father

Put the "fun" back into dysfunctional, Tulsa!

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2012, 01:38:14 pm »

Governor Fallin is doing a great job, I'm very happy with her, she has our state's economy rocking & rolling, anyone who wants a job can find one in Oklahoma. The unemployment rate is 5%. We are in much better shape with Fallin then we were under Brad Henry the economy was in shambles back then under Henry. Fallin is doing her best to fight off 'BamaCare, we don't want 'BamaCare destroying our medical care system.

She looks 25 lbs. heavier than when she took office. She wants to be a shining example of what we look like here.

Right, she's the one leading our economy. Try Brad Henry. In 3 years we can judge her record....right before she announces her candidacy.

Where is a decent state pollster?
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2012, 01:41:01 pm »

Wait till 'BamaCare starts and we find more surprises. The "Death Panels" will be making our health care choices for us. Oops I mean  the "Medical Advisory Board" aka "Death Panel Board".. We're in for a ruff ride. 'BamaCare starts full force in just about a year from now.

You might want to take those pills in the cup they hand you in the mornings.

If you're measuring only unemployment, Oklahoma unemployment was at 3.3% in February through April 2008.  It shot up once the legislature changed.

http://www.google.com/publicdata/explore?ds=z1ebjpgk2654c1_&met_y=unemployment_rate&idim=state:ST400000&fdim_y=seasonality:S&dl=en&hl=en&q=oklahoma%20unemployment%20rate

Our state is surviving in spite of your crush not because of her.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2012, 01:41:29 pm »

never cease to amaze me.  You aren't an Oklahoma Highway Patrol officer by chance?

And guess what.  SCOTUS indicated that "BamaCare" is constitutional.  She won't fight it off.  She just declared that we wouldn't be the ones setting up the health exchange; she'd let the federal gubmint do it for her.

Real great job she is doing there.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
sauerkraut
City Father

« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2012, 01:15:58 pm »

She looks 25 lbs. heavier than when she took office. She wants to be a shining example of what we look like here.

Right, she's the one leading our economy. Try Brad Henry. In 3 years we can judge her record....right before she announces her candidacy.

Where is a decent state pollster?
Brad Henry had the Oklahoma economy in shambles. Oklahoma had 7% & 8% unemployment (as did Tulsa)  under Brad Henry. Fallin gave us 5% unemployment. Anyone who wants a job in Oklahoma can find one today, even with Obama in the whitehouse destroying the national economy. In a little more than a  year 'BamaCare takes effect full force with death panels and all. (Medical Advisory Board) Telling us when and how we get treated. Fallin is doing her best to fight it off. We need to get behind Fallin and support her administration. Fallin also hopes to slash our income tax rates next year. Cheesy

AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2012, 01:41:39 pm »

Funny stuff. Tragic. But funny.

onward...through the fog
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2012, 01:52:15 pm »

Brad Henry had the Oklahoma economy in shambles. Oklahoma had 7% & 8% unemployment (as did Tulsa)  under Brad Henry. Fallin gave us 5% unemployment. Anyone who wants a job in Oklahoma can find one today, even with Obama in the whitehouse destroying the national economy. In a little more than a  year 'BamaCare takes effect full force with death panels and all. (Medical Advisory Board) Telling us when and how we get treated. Fallin is doing her best to fight it off. We need to get behind Fallin and support her administration. Fallin also hopes to slash our income tax rates next year. Cheesy

I wish someone would pull the plug on the library you keep going to.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org