A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 29, 2024, 07:28:53 am
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Oklahoma drops to 48th in annual health ranking  (Read 17469 times)
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #45 on: January 03, 2013, 03:16:46 pm »

Tulsa named one of the unhealthiest cities to be a woman

http://www.fox23.com/news/local/story/Tulsa-named-one-the-unhealthiest-cities-to-be-a/NPfMY5UwSkG9nAwiaYzFyw.cspx?rss=2448&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Women’s Health Magazine named Tulsa one of the ten unhealthiest cities to be a woman.

The Women's Health research team compiled data on 38 measures of health and well-being, such as access to medical care, cancer rates, obesity rates and longevity.

The team also looked at lifestyle factors, everything from nutrition to unemployment to happiness and fitness, by using survey responses from places like the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the U.S. Census and the American Cancer Society.

The rankings were based on that data.

Here are the top and bottom ten:

TOP 10:
1 San Francisco, CA (healthiest city)
2 Salt Lake City, UT
3 San Jose, CA
4 Boise City, ID
5 Burlington, VT
6 Minneapolis, MN
7 Seattle, WA
8 Austin, TX
9 St. Paul, MN
10 Portland, ME

BOTTOM 10:
91 Detroit, MI
92 St. Louis, MO
93 Tulsa, OK
94 Jackson, MS
95 Indianapolis, IN
96 Cleveland, OH
97 Memphis, TN
98 Toledo, OH
99 Philadelphia, PA
100 Birmingham, AL (unhealthiest city)

Super great that, as men, many of us are just fine.
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #46 on: January 03, 2013, 03:48:32 pm »

The team also looked at lifestyle factors, everything from nutrition to unemployment to happiness and fitness...

I just think our women are unhappy and it brought down the score.

And it is all men's fault they are unhappy.

Power is nothing till you use it.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #47 on: January 03, 2013, 06:29:19 pm »

What is incorrect about what I said? Does raising taxes help make jobs and grow the economy? Does less money in people's pockets help the economy grow?  Huh

Yes.  As a matter of fact they do.  As has been proven repeatedly over the last 70 years or so.  If you had paid any attention to the real world, you would already understand.

Like Aqua said - only nicer - sit down, shut up, pay attention and you might just learn something real.  Not that I expect that to happen...

I suspect that a lot of this may just be an act to try to instigate.  Kind of like a more lucid Breadburner....

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
sauerkraut
City Father

I Conquered The 2013 -2015 Polar Bear Plunge!!

« Reply #48 on: January 04, 2013, 10:39:04 am »

All the top cities mentioned are some of the most expensive places to live with one or two execptions. They all have high cost of livings and sky high housing costs.

Proud Global  Warming Deiner! Earth Is Getting Colder NOT Warmer!
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #49 on: January 04, 2013, 10:40:20 am »

All the top cities mentioned are some of the most expensive places to live with one or two execptions. They all have high cost of livings and sky high housing costs.

And so...
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #50 on: January 04, 2013, 10:43:58 am »

And so...

He doesn't realize that many of these high cost places to live offset that to some extent with a higher than average salary for the positions they employ.

But that involves research.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #51 on: January 04, 2013, 10:49:25 am »

Sorry...guess I was wrong about the more lucid version of Breadburner....

Study the whole package.  You sound like Sarah Palin!  Stop it!

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #52 on: January 04, 2013, 11:00:38 am »

He doesn't realize that many of these high cost places to live offset that to some extent with a higher than average salary for the positions they employ.
But that involves research.

I had the "opportunity" to be transferred to the San Jose / Milpitas CA area in the mid/late 80s.  I asked about a cost of living raise and the best they would offer was about $100/mo.  When I visited the area, I looked at some of the neighborhoods and saw Lincolns, Caddys, BMWs and Mercedes parked in driveways of what looked like $60,000 homes in the Tulsa area.  I was told those houses were running $400,000+.  I declined the transfer.

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #53 on: January 04, 2013, 11:04:19 am »

I had the "opportunity" to be transferred to the San Jose / Milpitas CA area in the mid/late 80s.  I asked about a cost of living raise and the best they would offer was about $100/mo.  When I visited the area, I looked at some of the neighborhoods and saw Lincolns, Caddys, BMWs and Mercedes parked in driveways of what looked like $60,000 homes in the Tulsa area.  I was told those houses were running $400,000+.  I declined the transfer.

You are a special case - engineering just doesn't cut it.  Got to be finance or upper management.

Even so, $100 a month was exceptionally low...  Same company as now?  That would explain some of it, but engineers here are always proportionally better off than either left or right coast.  Either location, it is still always too low for the relative contribution to the bottom line.

sauerkraut
City Father

I Conquered The 2013 -2015 Polar Bear Plunge!!

« Reply #54 on: January 04, 2013, 01:04:50 pm »

I had the "opportunity" to be transferred to the San Jose / Milpitas CA area in the mid/late 80s.  I asked about a cost of living raise and the best they would offer was about $100/mo.  When I visited the area, I looked at some of the neighborhoods and saw Lincolns, Caddys, BMWs and Mercedes parked in driveways of what looked like $60,000 homes in the Tulsa area.  I was told those houses were running $400,000+.  I declined the transfer.
Yep, not to mention the high taxes, besides California is bleeding residents due to the bad economy & high cost of living. The rich don't have a problem there- if you don't have millions of dollars many of those top rates cities are not for you. In California most people who are not rich have to rent, home buying is out of the question. The increase in wages does not cut it either. There are alot of real estate sites such as zillow.com and realtor.com that show you the homes on the market in any state or city you pick. Santa Monica homes don't look like much but even a mobile home costs a pretty penny. Not to mention California  earth quakes, mud slides,  wildfires and the like. No Thanks.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 01:08:18 pm by sauerkraut » Logged

Proud Global  Warming Deiner! Earth Is Getting Colder NOT Warmer!
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #55 on: January 04, 2013, 01:19:48 pm »

Yep, not to mention the high taxes, besides California is bleeding residents due to the bad economy & high cost of living. The rich don't have a problem there- if you don't have millions of dollars many of those top rates cities are not for you. In California most people who are not rich have to rent, home buying is out of the question. The increase in wages does not cut it either. There are alot of real estate sites such as zillow.com and realtor.com that show you the homes on the market in any state or city you pick. Santa Monica homes don't look like much but even a mobile home costs a pretty penny. Not to mention California  earth quakes, mud slides,  wildfires and the like. No Thanks.

I'm sure California is horribly disappointed.
AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #56 on: January 04, 2013, 01:38:47 pm »

Looked up a city worker in Berkeley one time. Sanitation engineer. $50K. Benefits too. No concern about sliding off into the bay but also no concern about tornadoes, floods and uninsureds. The city kept me on their mailing list for a year, just because I had logged on looking for positions.

I wonder if that position is still open....

onward...through the fog
DTowner
City Father

« Reply #57 on: January 04, 2013, 02:29:14 pm »

I read an article a while back discussing the impact of first the dot.com bubble of the 1990s and then the housing bubble on the 2000s on the Bay area housing costs and workers.  The result was very few police, fire, teachers and government employees could afford to live in the cities in which they worked due to housing costs.  Many commuted several hours each way.

Related, a few years ago I spent a lot of time in San Francisco for a case and I was surprised by the number of young lawyers at the firms with which I was dealing (who's salaries started in the $140K to $150K range) who lived in Oakland and other surrounding cities and commuted in to SF.  They said they simply could not afford to live in SF.

As for Tulsa's low showing on the health ranking – we are fat (men and women), smoke too much and avoid physical activity.  Those are individuals' choices and the fix must come from individuals' solutions.  Everything else is window dressing.
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #58 on: January 04, 2013, 05:33:49 pm »

Forget San Fran, lets talk about Salt Lake City.  I have found it to be an interesting place when you see what all is going on there.  Very conservative on the one hand, but very progressive and forward thinking on the other (especially when it comes to transit and building pedestrian friendly developments as one example).  According to the census data household incomes are quite similar to Tulsa's (we are actually a little wealthier in some categories) and % of the population in poverty is close as well.  

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #59 on: January 04, 2013, 07:35:53 pm »

Forget San Fran, lets talk about Salt Lake City.  I have found it to be an interesting place when you see what all is going on there.  Very conservative on the one hand, but very progressive and forward thinking on the other (especially when it comes to transit and building pedestrian friendly developments as one example).  According to the census data household incomes are quite similar to Tulsa's (we are actually a little wealthier in some categories) and % of the population in poverty is close as well.  

If you like Salt Lake, I bet you would LOVE Vernal, UT!!  Have been there a few times in the last decade, and even though it is a fairly small city (about 10,000), it has the feel of a larger place.  I could see spending quite a bit of time there during the year - especially in the fall.

Came by the AD Museum today and found it closed.  Walked through some of the art shops.  Very nice.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org