A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 29, 2024, 12:34:50 am
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Postal Center Closes  (Read 11343 times)
dbacks fan
« on: February 23, 2012, 12:30:02 pm »

It's official:

http://www.ktul.com/story/17002846/its-official-usps-closing-tulsa-processing-center
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2012, 12:37:48 pm »

Good for OKC
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2012, 12:43:21 pm »

Good for OKC

again. I just wonder where the choice was made on which to close and which to keep.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2012, 12:45:53 pm »

again. I just wonder where the choice was made on which to close and which to keep.

Fairly new facility.  I don't think it's much older than 10 years.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
dbacks fan
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2012, 12:49:58 pm »

Fairly new facility.  I don't think it's much older than 10 years.

My dad and I were just discussing that. They had just started moving dirt when my parents moved from Tulsa in '99 so 10 or 11 years sounds about right.
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2012, 01:30:24 pm »

The OKC facility was finished in 2008 and is massive, replacing a smaller facility that was just south of downtown where a new park will be located.  It was designed to be more of a regional distribution center.  It sucks for Tulsa and those jobs though, many of which will be transferred to OKC.  USPS is such a mess and hopefully these closings and consolidations will help them in the long run, similar to what the military has been accomplishing with BRAC.

nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2012, 01:39:12 pm »

Pretty soon it'll take four days to get first class mail from Fayetteville to Tulsa. However, the people who want to see the post office fail are slowly getting their wish. As they reduce service levels, mail volume will only drop further.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2012, 01:39:22 pm »

So if I mailed a card to someone who lives in Tulsa, it will go to OKC then back to Tulsa?
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2012, 01:45:54 pm »

So if I mailed a card to someone who lives in Tulsa, it will go to OKC then back to Tulsa?

Yep.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
DTowner
City Father

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2012, 02:05:50 pm »

Pretty soon it'll take four days to get first class mail from Fayetteville to Tulsa. However, the people who want to see the post office fail are slowly getting their wish. As they reduce service levels, mail volume will only drop further.

Worse service at a higher cost is usually not a successful strategy for a business under siege by its competitors.  My use of USPS for both work and personal matters will be further reduced as a result of this decision.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2012, 02:08:10 pm »

Worse service at a higher cost is usually not a successful strategy for a business under siege by its competitors.  My use of USPS for both work and personal matters will be further reduced as a result of this decision.

Could eventually go the same route as passenger rail here in OK.  From Dallas, to OKC, to Kansas, skipping Tulsa all together.

I guess all the bills I can't get online will be a day or two later than normal.
BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2012, 05:02:25 pm »

Could eventually go the same route as passenger rail here in OK.  From Dallas, to OKC, to Kansas, skipping Tulsa all together.

I guess all the bills I can't get online will be a day or two later than normal.

Online Billpay via your bank will allow you to make a payment to anyone whether or not they accept electronic payments...
If the biller doesn't accept electronic payments, the payment system will send a check and compensate for how long it will take to get delivered.

no writing checks or buying stamps here.
BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2012, 05:03:27 pm »

Doesn't sound like it will affect my Netflix (by mail) turnaround then.
 Grin
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2012, 05:11:12 pm »

Online Billpay via your bank will allow you to make a payment to anyone whether or not they accept electronic payments...
If the biller doesn't accept electronic payments, the payment system will send a check and compensate for how long it will take to get delivered.

no writing checks or buying stamps here.

I mean the ones I still get in the mail.  I pay electronically but I receive CoT and ONG in the mail.

Screw writing checks and buying stamps.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2012, 05:13:16 pm »

Doesn't sound like it will affect my Netflix (by mail) turnaround then.
 Grin

I wondered that too.  Will there be a delay since it all has to be sorted in OKC and will Tulsa take a back seat now?

I'll start the rumor:  I hear that all Tulsa mail will be taken out and stacked.  Once all of OKC's mail is sent out, they will look through Tulsa's.  Those bastards.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org