A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 28, 2024, 09:35:08 am
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Vision2 - money for brownfield cleanups  (Read 15766 times)
Weatherdemon
Civic Leader

« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2012, 07:30:28 am »

That comment doesn't address my statement.
I stay away from problems unless there's demand to justify curing those problematic issues. These poisoned lands are contained. The water and air poisons are well borne and air borne. The best you can do is remove yourself from these environments.
 I don't take on poisons unless I have to.

So it doesn't bother you that hundreds of homes have been built south of Collinsville within 2-3 miles of a former smelter superfund site?

If we're now cleaning stuff up with V2 then lets get some funding to clean up the pits of the "Tulsa Fuel and Manfacturing" site?
http://www.deq.state.ok.us/lpdnew/SF/TulsaFuels/11-2007%20factsheet.pdf

Actually I partially kid. V2 seems to be getting more clustered each week. Shelve it! Put some thought into it! Then, come back in a year!
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2012, 07:31:44 am »

That sword swings both ways...you might just end up with a detrement rather than a use that creates greater value.

What use could be worse than abandoned buildings being vandalized with homeless squatters?

Power is nothing till you use it.
DTowner
City Father

« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2012, 10:34:32 am »

If V2 passes, money to rehab these brownfields will not be available for many years.  By that time, these sites will have been fixed through other means or it will likely be pointless to fix them.  If remediation of these sites is in any way a priority, V2 is not the way to get it done.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2012, 10:38:00 am »

If V2 passes, money to rehab these brownfields will not be available for many years.  By that time, these sites will have been fixed through other means or it will likely be pointless to fix them.  If remediation of these sites is in any way a priority, V2 is not the way to get it done.

What the?  Logic?  Cover your ears!  Cover your ears!  "Lalalalalalalala"
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2012, 10:44:25 am »

What use could be worse than abandoned buildings being vandalized with homeless squatters?

Why can't that be solved through code enforcement? That would be a lot faster than waiting 5-15 years for this money to be available.
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2012, 10:53:01 am »

Why can't that be solved through code enforcement? That would be a lot faster than waiting 5-15 years for this money to be available.

Code enforcement would file a lien, wait for years and then maybe spend money to clean the properties and file another lien. It would never be paid and the city would be out millions.

Look at how they have been so successful with the Tulsa Club building. That is prime real estate and it don't work and these are all north Tulsa.

Teatownclown
City Father

Put the "fun" back into dysfunctional, Tulsa!

« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2012, 11:08:14 am »

This is a great point.

According to TW, Bynum has issued his concern about 2017 politicians jacking with allocations and priorities.

I don't think I have ever seen a worse attempt at a taxpayer grab bag than these councilors, a shabby Chamber,  and a screwy Mayor attempted to do here.
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2012, 11:49:16 am »

Code enforcement would file a lien, wait for years and then maybe spend money to clean the properties and file another lien. It would never be paid and the city would be out millions.

Look at how they have been so successful with the Tulsa Club building. That is prime real estate and it don't work and these are all north Tulsa.

The city does this all the time. Why can't this work for these sites?

Dwain Midget, the city's director of community and economic development, said the city demolished 182 buildings last fiscal year, which ended June 30, at a cost of more than $700,000.

The year before, the city demolished 48 structures.

The demolitions are paid for out of the city's general fund and other revenue sources, including grants.
http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=11&articleid=20120823_16_A11_CUTLIN375955
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2012, 12:16:36 pm »

Here is a presentation about the Tulsa Brownfields.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28j_jvBJT3w

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2012, 01:07:19 pm »

What about unused funds from river development or Boeing (I think there were funds not used for Boeing projects) from the original V-2025 to clean up the brown fields.  I still can't place the old Morton Health Center but the area just to the east of Greenwood is one I definitely would like to see cleaned up as soon as possible.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2012, 01:15:18 pm »

I was under the impression that cleaning these sites would cost a lot more then this provides.
Weatherdemon
Civic Leader

« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2012, 01:22:46 pm »

I was under the impression that cleaning these sites would cost a lot more then this provides.

If that is the case, that is something of a trend with V2.
Allocate money to go with potential matching money with the hope that we eventually get the money to use the money and if the money to be matched does not become available the V2 money will be spent based on the current needs as defined by the current mayor and council.
DTowner
City Father

« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2012, 02:26:10 pm »

If that is the case, that is something of a trend with V2.
Allocate money to go with potential matching money with the hope that we eventually get the money to use the money and if the money to be matched does not become available the V2 money will be spent based on the current needs as defined by the current mayor and council.

...and in the mean time, eliminate using this tax source for any other priorities/ideas that might arise until after 2029.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2012, 03:03:51 pm »

It's truly a shotgun approach

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2012, 04:02:54 pm »

...and in the mean time, eliminate using this tax source for any other priorities/ideas that might arise until after 2029.

This is my biggest problem. We have momentum and this does build on it at all. And it takes away the primary funding source for projects that could  build on to what we have going on now.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org