A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 29, 2024, 03:37:03 am
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Christmas Snowpocalypse 2012  (Read 10515 times)
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« on: December 21, 2012, 04:11:38 pm »

NPR just announced the lines have shifted and a very possible 6" just south of Tulsa to be delivered on the Yule.

I know we've got some weather geeks on here.  What say you?

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2012, 04:44:19 pm »

NPR just announced the lines have shifted and a very possible 6" just south of Tulsa to be delivered on the Yule.

Still too early to really tell.  As I said during the snowpocalypse of Feb 2011, anything further than 72 hours out for winter weather predictions is typically folly.  Ask me on Sunday.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2012, 05:21:11 pm »

Stop listening to NPR.  I need some new tires before it snows.   Grin

TurismoDreamin
Civic Leader

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2012, 08:57:02 pm »

The GFS is lining up with the NAM model and both aren't agreeing with each other for said snow forecasts. Actually, when the only thing mets had to rely on were long range models (i.e. GFS, ECMWF, etc) none of the models agreed with each other. So like Hoss said, wait until it's closer. So far, per the NAM, flurries to light snow that won't stick...per the GFS, up to six inches with OKC seeing more of an impact than the Tulsa area. Models do agree with air temperatures in the teens as a result of this system.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2012, 08:59:20 pm by TurismoDreamin » Logged

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2012, 10:51:52 pm »

The GFS is lining up with the NAM model and both aren't agreeing with each other for said snow forecasts. Actually, when the only thing mets had to rely on were long range models (i.e. GFS, ECMWF, etc) none of the models agreed with each other. So like Hoss said, wait until it's closer. So far, per the NAM, flurries to light snow that won't stick...per the GFS, up to six inches with OKC seeing more of an impact than the Tulsa area. Models do agree with air temperatures in the teens as a result of this system.

I usually don't align myself with a local meteo, but Travis Meyer of Channel 6 has this graphic for tonight (noting that we are still 48 hours from the event, so this will likely fluctaute some):

We'll see.  I don't work Wednesday (well, I don't work most days..LOL) but have the able to work from home.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2012, 11:12:12 pm »

I usually don't align myself with a local meteo, but Travis Meyer of Channel 6 has this graphic for tonight (noting that we are still 48 hours from the event, so this will likely fluctaute some):

We'll see.  I don't work Wednesday (well, I don't work most days..LOL) but have the able to work from home.

I hope it fluctuates south a bit.

TurismoDreamin
Civic Leader

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2012, 01:34:11 am »

We'll see.  I don't work Wednesday (well, I don't work most days..LOL) but have the able to work from home.

That looks optimistic compared to some of the crazy model runs coming in. The graphic below was from earlier today...12z NAM model run for anyone that's interested. Your eyes aren't lying to you...that says 2 feet lol. Now you see why all the mets around town are going wild with this one. But I just don't see this verifying. "Freezing rain followed by snow" is why I think the NAM is over exaggerating snow totals. The GFS still says Tulsa will be getting much less snowfall. With the most current run as of right now, 00z, the GFS says 2-6" while the NAM says 6-12" snow totals with points North of OKC getting +12".

« Last Edit: December 24, 2012, 01:36:00 am by TurismoDreamin » Logged

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2012, 09:30:28 am »

Looks like MC and I may be having standing rib roast alone this year and distributing left overs next weekend.  Wink

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
ZYX
Philanthropist

« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2012, 10:25:27 pm »

Some meteorologists are saying it looks unlikely for Tulsa to see any snow.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2012, 10:29:41 pm »

Some meteorologists are saying it looks unlikely for Tulsa to see any snow.

I wouldn't count on that.

ZYX
Philanthropist

« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2012, 10:41:10 pm »

I wouldn't count on that.

I desperately hope. I love snow.
ZYX
Philanthropist

« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2012, 08:28:03 am »

Still looking likely for Tulsa to not receive snow. Oh well I guess.

Merry Christmas!

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2012, 10:08:45 am »

Still looking likely for Tulsa to not receive snow. Oh well I guess.

Merry Christmas!

Always tough to predict it.  Sometimes they over predict.  Sometimes they miss completely.

davideinstein
« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2012, 10:23:36 am »

I survived Euclid.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2012, 10:26:52 am »

I survived Euclid.

Naming winter storms = stupidest self promotion ever.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org