A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 29, 2024, 03:35:28 am
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Al-Jazeera Coming to Your Living Room?  (Read 3255 times)
guido911
T-Town Elder

« on: January 02, 2013, 03:53:41 pm »

Looks like its super cereal:

http://mediadecoder.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/01/02/al-jazeera-said-to-be-acquiring-current-tv/

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
DolfanBob
City Father

« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2013, 04:10:07 pm »

Al-Gore, Al-Jazeera. Coincidence? I think not.

Changing opinions one mistake at a time.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2013, 04:10:32 pm »

Good news source.  
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2013, 04:19:00 pm »

What could possibly go wrong?

They are owned by the government of Qatar.  Should offer some fun programming.  I bet they bring Olbermann back!
« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 04:21:54 pm by Gaspar » Logged

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2013, 04:38:22 pm »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al_Jazeera

In the 2000s, the network was praised by the Index on Censorship for circumventing censorship and contributing to the free exchange of information in the Arab world, and by the Webby Awards, who nominated it as one of the five best news web sites, along with BBC News, National Geographic and The Smoking Gun. It was also voted by brandchannel.com readers as the fifth most influential global brand behind Apple, Google, Ikea and Starbucks. In 2011 Salon.com noted Al Jazeera's coverage of the 2011 Egyptian protests as superior to that of the American news media, while U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton also opined that the network's news coverage was more informative, and less opinion-driven than American journalism.

I follow their twitter.

They are owned by the government of Qatar.

What's your point?
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2013, 05:38:45 pm »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al_Jazeera

I follow their twitter.

What's your point?

Oh come on, you know his point. You may not agree with it, but you get it.

guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2013, 05:39:35 pm »

Good news source.  

I knew you'd like the NYT.

patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2013, 07:57:39 pm »

They have cred.

Jon Stewart, the host of the channel’s “The Daily Show,” was outraged last week about Republican efforts to block a bill that would provide more medical care to first responders to the World Trade Center terrorist attack in 2001. He called the Republican filibuster “an outrageous abdication of our responsibility to those who were most heroic on 9/11.”

Mr. Stewart was also angry about the lack of television coverage. “None of the three broadcast networks have mentioned any of this on their evening newscasts for two and a half months,” he said, seemingly trying to shame them into covering the bill. He also contrasted the Fox News Channel’s extensive coverage of the controversy over the wrongly called “9/11 mosque” with its little coverage of the first responders bill.

Pointedly, he added that the Arabic news network Al Jazeera had dedicated almost half an hour to the topic.

http://mediadecoder.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/12/17/jon-stewart-the-advocate-on-the-911-health-bill/

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Ed W
City Father

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2013, 09:42:58 pm »

I don't understand.  Is there some objection to allowing a media company with extreme political views and an obvious political agenda from having access to the American market, particularly when their politics and opinions aren't held by a majority of Americans?  Fox News has just as much right to air their views as any other company, or, as Mitt so wittily put it, "Corporations are people too, my friends."  Or is this about Al Jazeera?  It's so confusing.

Ed

May you live in interesting times.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org