A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 29, 2024, 02:25:50 am
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: US Mail  (Read 5474 times)
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« on: August 21, 2013, 11:08:42 am »

Has anyone been experiencing problems with packages shipped through US Mail lately?

At home we have had three packages lost (personal) and at work, two have yet to be delivered to the recipient after nearly two weeks.   We typically mail software license agreements via regular mail at work (standard envelope).  Arrival typically took two days, now it is exceeding a week.

I'd hate to switch everything over to FedEx but it's looking like that may be the only option.  The post office has been unable to provide any explanation.

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2013, 01:05:57 pm »

No issues with domestic mail that I can think of recently, seems most of the problems MC and I have is with overseas deliveries.  The USPS's idea of "tracking" is truly pathetic.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2013, 02:09:53 pm »

Just got another notification from Amazon that a package shipped USPS has been lost.  They are sending a replacement FedEx.  What the heck is going on?

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2013, 02:14:37 pm »

Just got another notification from Amazon that a package shipped USPS has been lost.  They are sending a replacement FedEx.  What the heck is going on?

I haven't had many packages lost, but I get 'pucker factor' whenever I see an online vendor I purchase from ships "UPS SmartPost".  It's essentially the UPS delivering the package to the local post office for delivery.  Not sure why they wouldn't just go the extra step to send it to my door.

The only time I don't worry so much about USPS is when a vendor sends Priority Mail.  I've never had an issue with Priority Mail shipments.

Hopefully it gets straightened out.  Most of my Amazon stuff arrives in two days or less.  They have a big warehouse in Coffeyville if memory serves correctly.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2013, 02:25:09 pm »

I haven't had many packages lost, but I get 'pucker factor' whenever I see an online vendor I purchase from ships "UPS SmartPost".  It's essentially the UPS delivering the package to the local post office for delivery.  Not sure why they wouldn't just go the extra step to send it to my door.

Ships and delivers to the the post office in 2 days, sits in post office for 2 more days.
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2013, 02:29:23 pm »

The only time I don't worry so much about USPS is when a vendor sends Priority Mail.  I've never had an issue with Priority Mail shipments.

Hopefully it gets straightened out.  Most of my Amazon stuff arrives in two days or less.  They have a big warehouse in Coffeyville if memory serves correctly.

Priority Mail through USPS is actually shipped by FedEx under a contract.  I suppose that's why it's more reliable.

godboko71
Philanthropist

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2013, 03:26:27 pm »

No problems on my end via US Mail though I am in a different part of town. May help they we ship out and recieve stuff daily and the mail staff has been the same for 5+ years.

Thank you,
Robert Town
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2013, 04:25:27 pm »

Can't say I've been having any problems with my mail. I have received a number of First Class parcels on time within the past couple of months. They even quit doing the "we'll just skip your house one day every few weeks" thing after my box was selected as one of their reporting points some months back. I do seem to recall some talk about reducing the service standard for First Class Mail, but I was under the impression it had not been approved.

If you call it a first class parcel instead of a letter you can pay a little extra (still far less than UPS or FedEx) and get some limited tracking out of them.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2013, 07:23:30 pm »

Have had no issues.  Surprisingly.  Most of the time it still works fine.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2013, 07:27:12 pm »

Can't say I've been having any problems with my mail. I have received a number of First Class parcels on time within the past couple of months. They even quit doing the "we'll just skip your house one day every few weeks" thing after my box was selected as one of their reporting points some months back. I do seem to recall some talk about reducing the service standard for First Class Mail, but I was under the impression it had not been approved.

If you call it a first class parcel instead of a letter you can pay a little extra (still far less than UPS or FedEx) and get some limited tracking out of them.

Is that what that white barcode sticker on my mailbox is?

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
AngieB
Proud Westsider
City Father

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2013, 11:31:28 am »

Newman!
AngieB
Proud Westsider
City Father

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2013, 07:35:40 am »

Is that what that white barcode sticker on my mailbox is?

That sticker is a Managed Service Point -

The Managed Service Points (MSP) program is intended to improve the time of day consistency of mail delivery to customers. The program uses Mobile Data Collection Devices (MDCD) to scan barcodes at the delivery unit and on specific points along the carrier’s line of travel. This allows supervisors to know if mail is being delivered within the expected time frames, ensuring consistent time of delivery to the customer.

In 2002, we deployed MSP to 95 percent of the targeted routes. The MSP goal for 2003 includes a 95 percent scanning rate for both the office and street scans on all MSP city routes. Achievement of these goals will provide sufficient office and street data to effectively evaluate consistency of delivery to our customers.
http://about.usps.com/strategic-planning/cs02/2f3.htm
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org