A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 29, 2024, 02:24:31 am
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Another senseless killing  (Read 16464 times)
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2013, 02:35:20 pm »

I'd like to point out that race shouldn't matter here.  They killed someone for fun.

Black or white, they're killers.

These guys killed a person for the hell of it.

This discussion has lost site of that.

Race shouldn't have mattered in the Trayvon Martin case either, but that's the conclusion the media arrived at mainly because two very prominent asshats in the racial divide said it was so.

I can say with 99.9% certainty, had this been two white kids who shot a black man out of boredom, race hustlers would be chiming in to claim this was a hate crime because of race.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #31 on: August 22, 2013, 02:36:35 pm »

Here's something else interesting.

The kid that was supposed to be victim #2 is black.

See, they hated blacks too!  Grin

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
DolfanBob
City Father

« Reply #32 on: August 22, 2013, 02:38:00 pm »

Here's something else interesting.

The kid that was supposed to be victim #2 is black.

That's were the driver would have come in. Then we would have a real uprising on our hands.  Roll Eyes

Changing opinions one mistake at a time.
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #33 on: August 22, 2013, 05:00:30 pm »

I frequently criticize folks in here that are "embarrassed" by what happens in this state. In this case, I truly am. If there is something the Australian friends needs, I will humbly help.

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
DolfanBob
City Father

« Reply #34 on: August 23, 2013, 07:22:45 am »

And another senseless killing. And again I ask. Where's the outrage?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2400716/World-War-Two-veteran-88-dies-brutally-beaten-teenagers-random-attack-parking-lot.html

Changing opinions one mistake at a time.
Quinton
Activist

« Reply #35 on: August 23, 2013, 07:27:42 am »

Where are all the LIBERALS including our so called president. Would he look like his son also. Huh

Liberalism is a mental disorder
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #36 on: August 23, 2013, 07:38:52 am »

And another senseless killing. And again I ask. Where's the outrage?

What outrage do you need?  Should we be flipping cars and lighting your house on fire when someone gets killed?
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #37 on: August 23, 2013, 07:40:55 am »

Where are all the LIBERALS including our so called president. Would he look like his son also. Huh

Where are all the CONSERVATIVES?  Who do you think is our appropriate President?
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #38 on: August 23, 2013, 07:46:59 am »

Not really sure why a case that is being immediately investigated where the perpetrators were arrested as soon as they were identified is being compared to a case where those things did not happen.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
rebound
City Father

« Reply #39 on: August 23, 2013, 07:49:50 am »

OK, I'll bite...

First, Obama is not our "so called" President, he's our President.  I often thought GWB was an idiot as well, and I've questioned his judgement and policy decisions numerous times, but I always respected the fact that he was the President.  Let's keep the arguments to one point at a time.

But that's beside the point, really.  And like some of the other posters here on this thread, you miss the whole issue of how race plays into this, if it does at all.  Just because the assailant is white or black, and the victim the other, doesn't raise immediately raise "race" to be a societal-level cause-celebre  as part of the event.  Both of the cases in this thread are situations of thugs attacking innocent victims. This is true regardless of white/black, or whatever.  It's sad, even pathetic, that stuff like this happens.  But it's nothing new under the sun.

The Trayvon Martin case is different.  In that case you had a person (who happened to be white) acting in a position of quasi-authority and in conjunction with  actual law enforcement.  If a "normal" person acting in authority allows race to sway them to the point of killing someone, then it needs examination.   (But for the record, I thought the Zimmerman case was way overblown as well.)

A crime that might reflect a significant societal bias, particularly coming from a position of authority, makes news.  Stupid, senseless, street crime is unfortunately too common most of the time to rise above the static of our lives.    

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #40 on: August 23, 2013, 11:07:42 am »

OK, I'll bite...

First, Obama is not our "so called" President, he's our President.  I often thought GWB was an idiot as well, and I've questioned his judgement and policy decisions numerous times, but I always respected the fact that he was the President.  Let's keep the arguments to one point at a time.

But that's beside the point, really.  And like some of the other posters here on this thread, you miss the whole issue of how race plays into this, if it does at all.  Just because the assailant is white or black, and the victim the other, doesn't raise immediately raise "race" to be a societal-level cause-celebre  as part of the event.  Both of the cases in this thread are situations of thugs attacking innocent victims. This is true regardless of white/black, or whatever.  It's sad, even pathetic, that stuff like this happens.  But it's nothing new under the sun.

The Trayvon Martin case is different.  In that case you had a person (who happened to be white) acting in a position of quasi-authority and in conjunction with  actual law enforcement.  If a "normal" person acting in authority allows race to sway them to the point of killing someone, then it needs examination.   (But for the record, I thought the Zimmerman case was way overblown as well.)

A crime that might reflect a significant societal bias, particularly coming from a position of authority, makes news.  Stupid, senseless, street crime is unfortunately too common most of the time to rise above the static of our lives.    

The outrage in the Martin case, at least for thinking people (not implying you are not), was what the media succeeded in cobbling the story into.  The media turned it into a racial issue and even went so far as manipulating the taped 911 call from Zimmerman to make it appear he was racist when evidence to the contrary existed that he wasn't.  I'd never even heard the term "white Hispanic" until this case. No one else I know had either.

It's the immediate assumption by certain corners of society when it's white on black violence it's out of hate or racism.  Certainly those cases are investigated closer so hate crime laws can be applied.  I don't recall ever hearing of hate crime laws being applied in instances of black on white violence. 

rebound
City Father

« Reply #41 on: August 23, 2013, 11:57:59 am »

The outrage in the Martin case, at least for thinking people (not implying you are not), was what the media succeeded in cobbling the story into.  The media turned it into a racial issue and even went so far as manipulating the taped 911 call from Zimmerman to make it appear he was racist when evidence to the contrary existed that he wasn't.  I'd never even heard the term "white Hispanic" until this case. No one else I know had either.

It's the immediate assumption by certain corners of society when it's white on black violence it's out of hate or racism.  Certainly those cases are investigated closer so hate crime laws can be applied.  I don't recall ever hearing of hate crime laws being applied in instances of black on white violence. 

I am pretty much  in agreement with you, and acknowledged that I thought the Zimmerman case was blown out of proportion.  Your points about the media manipulating the tapes, etc, are valid, and that aspect is/was inexcusable.   

Regarding "white Hispanic", that was new to me in that context as well, but I have seen "White/Hispanic" on census or related type forms before.

There is legitimate "hate crime" coming from - and towards - just about every combination of ethnicity and religion and while none of it is excusable or tolerable, it is unfortunately fairly common.  But in the Martin case, I still contend it was the position of power that Zimmerman had acquired (as well as just the general sense of "something not right with the guy") that allowed for the extended interest in that particular case.

guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #42 on: August 23, 2013, 06:40:19 pm »

What outrage do you need?  Should we be flipping cars and lighting your house on fire when someone gets killed?

You know darn well what folks are talking about when it comes to asking about outrage...

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
sauerkraut
City Father

I Conquered The 2013 -2015 Polar Bear Plunge!!

« Reply #43 on: August 24, 2013, 08:46:23 am »

Very grim. The problem is guns in the hands of crooks. The gun laws against felons and bad guys with guns need to be tuff and enforced- Bad guy found with a illegal or stolen gun? automatic 25 years. The idea would  be to make guns  so "hot" that a bad guy would not want to have a gun around him or in his possession. A traffic stop and illegal or stolen gun is found? automatic 25 years. Firsk gang members and a gun is found bye bye for 25 years. They do seat belt, DWI and speeding crackdowns at every holiday- but I never heard of a gang crackdown- ever. This event in Duncon goes to show that some 15 year old kids do need to be executed- what would they grow up to be anyhow? The 15 year old posed for a picture in front of stacks of $100.00 bills.

Proud Global  Warming Deiner! Earth Is Getting Colder NOT Warmer!
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #44 on: August 24, 2013, 12:14:03 pm »

Very grim. The problem is guns in the hands of crooks. The gun laws against felons and bad guys with guns need to be tuff and enforced- Bad guy found with a illegal or stolen gun? automatic 25 years. The idea would  be to make guns  so "hot" that a bad guy would not want to have a gun around him or in his possession. A traffic stop and illegal or stolen gun is found? automatic 25 years. Firsk gang members and a gun is found bye bye for 25 years. They do seat belt, DWI and speeding crackdowns at every holiday- but I never heard of a gang crackdown- ever. This event in Duncon goes to show that some 15 year old kids do need to be executed- what would they grow up to be anyhow? The 15 year old posed for a picture in front of stacks of $100.00 bills.

And how do you know who is, or is not, a gang member?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org