A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 05, 2024, 05:17:32 pm
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A second new hotel planned in Brady  (Read 14687 times)
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2013, 08:05:28 pm »

Never heard anybody call a train horn soothing before.

Especially if it is raining on a tin roof!!

Am also actively looking for a school bus now, and one of the accessories will be a train horn (with compressor and air tank!).  So if you see a radically painted schoolie running around that makes a LOT of noise at times, you will know who it is!  Nathan K5LA looks like a good choice....

http://www.hornblasters.com/products/details.php?i=nathan-airchime-k5-540-train-horn-kit

5 chimes gives a 'full' sound that you can really appreciate when some idiot on the turnpike cuts you off at the work zones...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBHXp6XPAAo

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2013, 09:58:22 pm »

Never heard anybody call a train horn soothing before.

I guess I got used to them having a train running behind my back yard when I was younger, living in the 1400 blk of S Elgin (don't look it up; it doesn't exist anymore except for maybe a freeway ramp).

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Weatherdemon
Civic Leader

« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2013, 07:24:10 am »

You do get used to the to trains but it isn't something I would personally use to entice people to buy from me.
"Oh, that little noise? That's just a train. You only hear it 5-8 times a day and you get used to it. The one at 5:00AM on Saturday isn't as a bad as it sounds."
dsjeffries
City Father

« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2013, 02:43:27 pm »

What happened to the Quiet Zone?

And here's the rendering of the hotel featured in the Fox 23 story:
« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 03:01:57 pm by dsjeffries » Logged

Change never happened because people were happy with the status quo.
ZYX
Philanthropist

« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2013, 04:11:54 pm »

I'm pleasantly surprised! That looks great! I was downtown yesterday and walked by that site and thought about how much better the area would look with a nice building on the corner. Hopefully this hotel lives up to its renderings.

EDIT: if they could take what appears to be EIFS and replace it with brick, at least for the ground floor, that would make it even better and  complement the surrounding buildings.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 04:14:37 pm by ZYX » Logged
rdj
City Father

« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2013, 04:40:31 pm »

That rendering put this on the SE corner of Archer & Detroit, correct?

If so, it'll be across from Archer Market/New Medio/Detroit Lofts/Rusty Crane.  That corridor has filled out nicely.  It will also be across Detroit from the proposed OK Pop Museum & parking garage.  I would assume that is the parking garage mentioned in the earlier posts.

For what it is worth, according to land records GKFF purchased the building from David Sharp in 2008 for $500m.  It was transferred to the Stadium Trust in 2010 with no amount given on the warranty deed.  The parking lot behind (south) of the building has a deed for $1.1mm filed by GKFF but multiple properties were involved in that transaction.

TDA actually owns the land directly west of the ballpark, or the NW corner of Archer & Elgin.  That is where Wilkens hotel is going, correct?

Also, was the old tire building on this block too bad to incorporate into the new hotel?
« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 04:44:01 pm by rdj » Logged

Live Generous.  Live Blessed.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2013, 10:23:48 pm »

The quiet zone means trains don't honk at those intersections, but they only have done the main intersections closest to the downtown core. Some of the intersections on the edge of downtown are not yet converted.
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2013, 06:50:18 am »

And here's the rendering of the hotel featured in the Fox 23 story:

At fist glance I thought I was looking at the County Court House on Denver.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2013, 07:47:47 am »

That rendering put this on the SE corner of Archer & Detroit, correct?

If so, it'll be across from Archer Market/New Medio/Detroit Lofts/Rusty Crane.  That corridor has filled out nicely.  It will also be across Detroit from the proposed OK Pop Museum & parking garage.  I would assume that is the parking garage mentioned in the earlier posts.

For what it is worth, according to land records GKFF purchased the building from David Sharp in 2008 for $500m.  It was transferred to the Stadium Trust in 2010 with no amount given on the warranty deed.  The parking lot behind (south) of the building has a deed for $1.1mm filed by GKFF but multiple properties were involved in that transaction.

TDA actually owns the land directly west of the ballpark, or the NW corner of Archer & Elgin.  That is where Wilkens hotel is going, correct?

Also, was the old tire building on this block too bad to incorporate into the new hotel?

$500m??? As in 1/2 billion?

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2013, 08:19:18 am »

I'm guessing probably $500k, but that was a hell of a deal if so!   Grin

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2013, 09:34:03 am »

onehandoneheart
Citizen

« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2013, 09:46:36 am »

Here's a larger rendering of the hotel, sourced from Promise Hotels' website. (http://promisehotels.com/news/new-holiday-inn-express-coming-brady-district) Do we know if there is any street-level retail planned?

rdj
City Father

« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2013, 09:48:48 am »

$500,000

In my world $500mm would be $500,000,000.  Sorry for the confusion.

Live Generous.  Live Blessed.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2013, 10:22:22 am »

Here's a larger rendering of the hotel, sourced from Promise Hotels' website. (http://promisehotels.com/news/new-holiday-inn-express-coming-brady-district) Do we know if there is any street-level retail planned?

If it's anything like their new HIE in El Reno which opened last spring, it will be really nice inside.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
dsjeffries
City Father

« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2013, 11:25:54 am »

At fist glance I thought I was looking at the County Court House on Denver.

I thought the same thing!

And this may be wishful thinking, but it looks like it's designed with street-level retail in mind. Maybe.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 11:27:25 am by dsjeffries » Logged

Change never happened because people were happy with the status quo.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org