A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 24, 2024, 03:23:26 pm
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Uhhh....ooops?  (Read 11181 times)
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« on: January 13, 2014, 02:43:02 pm »

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2014/01/13/262073200/airliner-lands-at-wrong-airport-barely-misses-going-off-runway?ft=1&f=1001

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2014, 02:44:33 pm »

Cheers!

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2014, 02:54:54 pm »

They should have enough strip to get that 737 back up in the air with no pax, I’d think.

I seem to recall Delta had a problem with destination mix-ups about 20 years ago.  With the GPS and navaids available, it’s surprising this still happens to anyone other than Wrongway Inhofe.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2014, 03:14:16 pm »

They should have enough strip to get that 737 back up in the air with no pax, I’d think.

I seem to recall Delta had a problem with destination mix-ups about 20 years ago.  With the GPS and navaids available, it’s surprising this still happens to anyone other than Wrongway Inhofe.

Looks like about 3,000 feet at 90,000 lbs with flaps 15 at that altitude.  Not bad but not a lot of room for error either.  Based on flightaware's designation that it's a 737-700.  The Boeing manual also states that aircraft with winglets have a little better performance.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Ed W
City Father

Re:
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2014, 03:14:58 pm »

The Enhanced Ground Proximity Warning System (EGPWS) is required on all commercial passenger aircraft, I think. It may be configured to warn pilots approaching the wrong runway, rolling too fast on a taxiway, or attempting to depart on a runway that's too short. Honeywell has some nice info on their website.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Ed

May you live in interesting times.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2014, 03:17:21 pm »

Looks like about 3,000 feet at 90,000 lbs with flaps 15 at that altitude.  Not bad but not a lot of room for error either.  Based on flightaware's designation that it's a 737-700.  The Boeing manual also states that aircraft with winglets have a little better performance.

I imagine if they had it spooled up before releasing the brakes should be a snap, especially on a cold morning.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2014, 03:17:52 pm »

I'm guessing the guys that landed it are not going to have to worry about the take off, from there or anywhere.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2014, 03:19:40 pm »

I imagine if they had it spooled up before releasing the brakes should be a snap, especially on a cold morning.

Here's your answer:

http://www.ozarksfirst.com/story/southwest-plane-to-leave-taney-co-airport-before-1/d/story/cLcP5JcFAUa3ZaP51F3aNA

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2014, 03:20:31 pm »

Yeah, somehow I guessed it wouldn't be a rolling takeoff.  Smiley

Gaspar
T-Town Elder

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2014, 03:44:40 pm »

I watched the takeoff on CNN.  Seemed very normal.

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2014, 04:03:11 pm »

I watched the takeoff on CNN.  Seemed very normal.

It landed here at 3:33pm.  A friend of mine said "Riverside better get ready"...LOL.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2014, 04:15:39 pm »

How many clues did they miss they were at the wrong airport?  The alignment at Taney is 14/32, it’s 12/30 at Branson.  They should have been on with Springfield approach and/or Branson tower at that time of day.  You’d think someone at either Springfield or Branson would have noticed they were not on target.  Tower operator would have noticed they didn’t have a visual.  At least I’m assuming the tower at Branson is staffed early evening.

Gaspar
T-Town Elder

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2014, 04:22:26 pm »

14/32, 12/30, whatever it takes.

Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2014, 04:34:11 pm »

I'm guessing the guys that landed it are not going to have to worry about the take off, from there or anywhere.

Removed pending investigation
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2014, 04:48:36 pm »

How many clues did they miss they were at the wrong airport?  The alignment at Taney is 14/32, it’s 12/30 at Branson.  They should have been on with Springfield approach and/or Branson tower at that time of day.  You’d think someone at either Springfield or Branson would have noticed they were not on target.  Tower operator would have noticed they didn’t have a visual.  At least I’m assuming the tower at Branson is staffed early evening.

Yep, sounds like ATC dropped the ball also.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org