A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 22, 2024, 02:34:09 pm
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 29   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Shotgun Sams  (Read 201359 times)
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #30 on: May 14, 2014, 09:53:20 am »

Exactly.

He comes off as a snipey tool who didn’t bother to read the code requirements.  You don’t simply file your papers with the health department and expect them out the next day.

What’s the over/under on how long this place lasts Heir?  +/- six months?

Not sure....my tastes are obviously different from about 99% of the rest of the planet.  They could have a nice long run.  And I may go visit in a few weeks, but the first thing I will do is visit the bathroom - you can often tell a LOT about the place by the condition of the bathrooms.  Used to be a biker bar I have been to on 15th, east of Lewis, called the Snake Pit.... yeah, just what one would expect - lived up to it's name in all possible manners - with commensurate restroom facilities.  Cold, cheap beer, though!

As example, it has been at least 25 years since I ate a Taco Mayo, for what I considered to be the worst possible way to waste time and money processing what was horrible quality food supplies....  and yet, they thrive!  In the last couple years, I have started to wonder if maybe something had changed, and it was somehow better now - so I have kind of started thinking about trying them again, just to see.  And then I ran across Del Taco in Moore, and was diverted.  May still go try them, yet.

As for health department - they were always very up front with me about what I had to do, and were always very accommodating in scheduling any/all inspections.  They even came out one time as a "pre-inspection" visit to do a quick walk through and let me know if I was on track with some things I had questions about, so I really never had a bad relation with them at all - this was a few years ago, so things may change, but am getting ready to interface again and will let ya know how it goes now.  And as mentioned elsewhere about my OCD, there were a couple small things they were a little slack about that I did "more" of.  One is procedural - rather than just food handler permits, I require Food Manager Certification for anyone working with me.  Yeah, I pay for tuition...and paid time in class.  Food handler permit just isn't quite enough info for me.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #31 on: May 14, 2014, 09:53:28 am »

I am a little bit OCD

It’s CDO, damn it!

Not that I’m CDO or anything.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #32 on: May 14, 2014, 09:55:33 am »

It’s CDO, damn it!

Not that I’m CDO or anything.

You might be interested in a group I joined a few years ago....

DAM.   Mothers Against Dyslexia....

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #33 on: May 14, 2014, 09:57:02 am »

Now that he aired his dissatisfaction with the THD, I can see the reaction of the inspectors from the first round:

“In a hurry? I’ll get around to you in a week or month or two.”

Talk about biting the hand...

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #34 on: May 14, 2014, 09:59:58 am »

Good thread and good responses.

I worked in a McDonalds while in college. The owners were fanatical about cleanliness, food safety and image. The cooking area was surrounded by glass windows so the customers could see the food prepared. Employees with long hair had to wear hair nets and beards not allowed. Even so, the employees were often....less committed than the employers.

One of our grill cooks timed his burgers by counting the number of sweat droplets that fell off his nose onto the grill. We never ate the food when he was on duty.

onward...through the fog
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #35 on: May 14, 2014, 10:20:46 am »

Good thread and good responses.

I worked in a McDonalds while in college. The owners were fanatical about cleanliness, food safety and image. The cooking area was surrounded by glass windows so the customers could see the food prepared. Employees with long hair had to wear hair nets and beards not allowed. Even so, the employees were often....less committed than the employers.

One of our grill cooks timed his burgers by counting the number of sweat droplets that fell off his nose onto the grill. We never ate the food when he was on duty.

If one is looking for employees, I have felt for a very LONG time that the very best place on the planet is at one of the major fast food restaurants - in particular, I like McD's and Burger King.  And not just for food related jobs, but for many types of jobs in general industry.  The particular person to look for is an assistant manager with 2+ years experience in that restaurant and that position (important qualifiers).  That particular person has been "trained" far beyond what any other work environment would provide in a much greater amount of time.  You can pre-scan or "interview" the employee by going there regularly and watching them in action.  You get a feel for ALL the important qualities that are of concern in the business' I have been associated with - attendance, working with the public, working with employees, organizational ability (there is variation even in as structured a place as McD.), stamina, personality (working with public), ability to think on one's feet, adaptability to changing situations, and probably most important to me - they are trainable!  That means I can most likely train them to work in just about any business situation from food industry, to handling scheduling for manufacturing, to assembling widgets....  even if I send them to school, it is money massively well spent!  And yes, I have "vetted and stolen" employees like that before and been very happy with the result.   (And I hope to be out in the market looking again very soon.)

Those mid-level "managers" are often super-stars....probably more often than not!

dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #36 on: May 14, 2014, 10:21:36 am »

Original Menu:

1- Shotgun's Favorite - Pepperoni
2- Ace of Spades - Anchovie
3- Northwest Mountie - Canadian Bacon with or without garlic
4- Sweetwater Sal - White Mushroom
5- Billy the Kid - Black Olive
6- Sheriff - Polish Sausage
7- Slippery Sam - Sardine
8- Full House - Combination with Achovies
9- Golden Nugget - Mozzarella Cheese
10- Colt .45 - Spicy Sausage
11- Red Eye - Ham
12- Deputy - Italian Sausage and Black Olive
13- Sea Horse - Shrimp
14- City Slicker - Oyster
15- Wagon Wheel - Italian Salami
16- Leather Slapper - Lean Beef and Chicken
17- Painted Desert - Green Pepper, Mushroom and Onion
18- Irish Cowboy - Corned Beef
19- OK Corral - Shrimp, Mushroom and Olive
20- Boot Hill - Jalepeno, Onions, and Beef
21- Fool's Gold - Cheese and Green Tomato
22- Chicken Little - Chicken, Cheese and Pimento

« Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 10:24:43 am by dbacksfan 2.0 » Logged
dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #37 on: May 14, 2014, 10:22:51 am »

dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #38 on: May 14, 2014, 10:40:43 am »

Speaking of Shakey's Pizza:

http://www.shakeys.com/menu/default.aspx
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #39 on: May 14, 2014, 10:53:25 am »

Saw that yesterday and wondered if that was the same outfit.  Seems to be heavy on the west coast.

dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #40 on: May 14, 2014, 11:00:14 am »

Saw that yesterday and wondered if that was the same outfit.  Seems to be heavy on the west coast.

They are also heavy in Asia as well. Wanted to go to one I saw in SoCal years ago, but didn't after going to a Godfathers in Phoenix and was really disappointed in the quality so I passed on Shakey's.

I was in Vancouver last year and had enough points to get a free pizza from Papa John's and had not had them in about a year and a half, and was disappointed in the taste and it was one of my favorites from them. Too many good places anymore for chain stores.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 11:08:52 am by dbacksfan 2.0 » Logged
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #41 on: May 14, 2014, 11:31:45 am »

Now that he aired his dissatisfaction with the THD, I can see the reaction of the inspectors from the first round:
“In a hurry? I’ll get around to you in a week or month or two.”
Talk about biting the hand...

Health Department's response:
http://www.fox23.com/news/local/story/Shotgun-Sams-reopening-stopped-by-health/fbexPkS-MUS69YBQ7uE2lA.cspx

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #42 on: May 14, 2014, 12:03:53 pm »

No, different owners.

Doing some research on the “face” of Shotgun Sam’s on OSCN reveals he’s still in litigation over the Knotty Pine in Broken Arrow.  $48,000 owed to a food vendor from Fort Smith for invoices dating from mid Dec. 2012 to the end of January in 2013.  I guess you could rack up that kind of food costs in a hurry, but I’d think a food service company would make a new stand-alone restaurant go COD to start or at least a much shorter leash on credit terms.

Appears they are also in on-going litigation over a franchise they purchased from Knotty Pine.  I don’t think the KP people are very brilliant business people since they only got $800 up front for the franchise fee then agreed to carry another $24,200 for 60 days until they opened.  In addition to defaulting on that note, it appears the franchisees were also derelict in paying their royalties, however, counterclaims sound as if the franchisors were ignorant about federal and Oklahoma laws regarding franchises and certain disclosures.  It’s also claimed that the franchisors did not supply promised training and other assistance.

Sounds like a huge friggin’ mess that happens when you get two parties together and neither knows what is going on.

If the food at the BA Knotty Pine is anything like the one in west Tulsa, it won’t be long for the world.

I went there last year.  It was mediocre, at the very best.  Some of the food seemed as if it was direct out of the microwave.  Sullies the original KP name.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #43 on: May 14, 2014, 12:32:24 pm »

This guy is a clown.  Here is the real list from that article - not the misrepresentations in his rant....

""Items of significance that were found to need correcting include: no hot or cold water at hand sinks, no hot water at prep sink, ceiling of walk in cooler caving in, condensate dripping water onto food stored in walk in cooler, a lot of needed caulking/sealing/painting throughout, equipment/floor/drains dirty with construction dust (things were not clean & ready to go), and inadequate lighting/unshielded light throughout. THD was unable to issue a license due to the results of the inspection. ""

And I also bet the health department will be more reasonable with him on re-inspection that he has been with them.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #44 on: May 14, 2014, 12:35:53 pm »

Items of significance that were found to need correcting include: no hot or cold water at hand sinks, no hot water at prep sink, ceiling of walk in cooler caving in, condensate dripping water onto food stored in walk in cooler, a lot of needed caulking/sealing/painting throughout, equipment/floor/drains dirty with construction dust (things were not clean & ready to go), and inadequate lighting/unshielded light throughout. THD was unable to issue a license due to the results of the inspection.

Uh, that right there is one hell of a public health issue.  No telling how many potential customers he lost by going ballistic on THD.  What were they planning on using for hand sanitation?  Didn’t it register with anyone condensate dripping on food in the cooler is a hazard?

If they were still finishing up “construction” on what he claimed had been an on-going restaurant for 12 years and had passed inspections before, what have they been doing this whole time since they announced SSPP was going to re-open?

And one more thing, since when has London Square shopping center been in west Tulsa?  Anyone else catch that?
« Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 12:37:29 pm by Conan71 » Logged

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 29   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org