A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 29, 2024, 04:23:23 pm
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Best festival last weekend?  (Read 20153 times)
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2014, 09:54:51 am »

So, you are saying no one paid for guides to be printed and handed out?

I found it on the Mayfest website.  Allow me to quote:

The Mayfest Event Guide is a free publication that is available to over 350,000 attendees and visiting artists over the
four-day festival. The 2014 Guide will be available both online at www.tulsamayfest.org and in print. Premium
placement for your advertisement on relevant festival information pages will be available for a $50 fee.

So that made you say:

Mayfest spends tens of thousands of sponsorship dollars on advertising

had hundreds of thousands of guides printed.

Where does it say that?
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2014, 09:59:42 am »

Mayfest does have an impressive list of sponsors.  I would assume there is a promotional budget of some sort, correct?

What’s the point in sniping at each other?

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2014, 10:08:44 am »

Yes. Mayfest does have an advertising budget. Yes, Mayfest puts out brochures, has billboards, posters, social media, etc.

Mayfest also works the free media well. It comes from having a savvy staff and well-connected volunteers.

I have been involved with Mayfest for 26 years. I currently serve on the board of directors. I have brought many of my friends in and they are very involved in the festival and most of us were there for 30 plus hours in four days.

I don't do it because I love art. I do it because I love downtown.

Power is nothing till you use it.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2014, 10:11:28 am »

Mayfest does have an impressive list of sponsors.  I would assume there is a promotional budget of some sort, correct?

What’s the point in sniping at each other?

His tendency to post crap gets a bit out of hand sometimes.
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2014, 10:18:33 am »

His tendency to post crap gets a bit out of hand sometimes.

I have posted nothing that is not supported by Mayfest's own documentation.  Do you wish to continue with your challenge?

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2014, 10:28:32 am »

I have posted nothing that is not supported by Mayfest's own documentation.  Do you wish to continue with your challenge?

How is it supported?

It says "available to" not "We printed"

Where does it say Mayfest spent tens of thousands of dollars on advertising?

Damn Gaspar, your political posts are jacked up enough.  Don't post misinformation about something that is good for the city.

Cats Cats Cats
City Father

« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2014, 10:40:51 am »

How is it supported?

Damn Gaspar, your political posts are jacked up enough.  Don't post misinformation about something that is good for the city.

Embarrassed
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2014, 10:45:59 am »

Embarrassed

What?  Dad slapped mom at the dinner table?
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2014, 10:54:27 am »

I could be wrong.  I was under the impression they sold sponsorships and had hundreds of thousands of guides printed.

3,500 guides. So only like 90% off
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2014, 11:08:24 am »

I honestly can’t think of any Mayfest ads I heard unless they were buys around weather forecasts on the radio “Looks like a great weekend to get out to Mayfest...".  They get enough media attention starting a week or two out as it is I never have trouble figuring out when it is.

There are billboards, ads in every paper, posters on almost every downtown business and flyers at every hotel and airport.
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2014, 11:16:35 am »

How is it supported?

While your snarkishness provides a nice diversion and endless giggles, it detracts from the conversation.

A few things, and then I'm done with you.

First, when you represent circulation rates when selling advertising or sponsorships it is unethical and there are indeed legal repercussions to misrepresent.  So if Mayfest says they make printed festival guides with the sponsor's advertisements available, your answer in support of Mayfest should be "yes they do."   You certainly would not want to imply that they do not make a printed guide available in sufficient quantities to satisfy the demand of festival goers.

Second, I love Mayfest, it is one of my favorite Tulsa traditions.  I think, and have thought for some time, that it is rather sleazy that Blue Dome opted to take advantage of Mayfest publicity to promote their own festival.  I have been to the Blue Dome festival several times and heard performers and others badmouthing Mayfest.  I have even seen signs for food and drink that say stuff like "Cheaper than Mayfest."  The BD festival is in no way complementary to Mayfest.  It has become Mayfest light.  Less artsy and more hipster, which is fine if you like that sort of thing.

Third, I have done, organized, and sat on the board of several festivals for almost a decade.  I am aware of how much money, time, energy and in-kind effort it takes to promote a successful event. If you wish to challenge the amount of money, both event and sponsor paid, spent on advertising for Mayfest, I'm sure we can get that number for you.  You have made a very silly series of challenges here that detract from the subject simply because you enjoy challenging the poster.   I'm sorry I have this effect on you.

Now. Back on task.  As we can see from some of the other posters, BD's festival has and continues to bleed Mayfest for vendors and public attention.  The sentiment is that Mayfest has become too expensive for some of the vendors and BD is offering better pricing and increasing traffic. It seems that Mayfest may need to become more competitive.

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2014, 11:18:35 am »

There are billboards, ads in every paper, posters on almost every downtown business and flyers at every hotel and airport.

Even if I see a billboard, it’s probably something I expect to see this time of year so it goes in one eye and out the other.  Wink

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2014, 11:19:10 am »

While your snarkishness provides a nice diversion and endless giggles, it detracts from the conversation.

Your conversation was dishonest.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2014, 11:21:30 am »

I am aware of how much money, time, energy and in-kind effort it takes to promote a successful event. If you wish to challenge the amount of money, both event and sponsor paid, spent on advertising for Mayfest, I'm sure we can get that number for you.  

Who's this "we"?  Are you associated with Mayfest?

Never mind.  I'm through with you.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2014, 11:23:54 am by Townsend » Logged
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2014, 11:26:24 am »

I went to all three fests on Sunday along with the market at Guthrie Green and the Driller's game.

I like Mayfest a lot, but I give an edge to the BDAF because of the reasons that RM cited, it's more bohemian, it feels more organic and local, lots of local food trucks and you can get a beer that is not 3.2

If I had been a visitor to Tulsa for the first time this weekend I would have been blown away by all of the activity downtown. Heck, even as a lifelong resident I was blown away.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org