A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 29, 2024, 04:36:08 pm
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Best festival last weekend?  (Read 20188 times)
sauerkraut
City Father

I Conquered The 2013 -2015 Polar Bear Plunge!!

« Reply #45 on: May 27, 2014, 11:48:48 am »

It really does seem like OKC is growing much faster and is becoming the city of choice in Oklahoma while "T" Towne gets  left behind in the dust. They are really taking care of business in OKC. I heard the unemployment rate is around 3% and jobs go begging for employees. Everything we do here in "T" Towne  OKC is already one step ahead of  us. The OKC Marathon is even starting to get national attention. OKC has built one heck of a nifty system of jogging trails, they  run half marathon races  on the Lake Hefner Trail ... Tulsa needs to get it's rump in gear. OKC now has the states tallest skyscraper, something like 900' or 1000' tall. I'm telling ya Tulsa is becoming 2nd fiddle fast. Undecided
« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 11:56:40 am by sauerkraut » Logged

Proud Global  Warming Deiner! Earth Is Getting Colder NOT Warmer!
AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #46 on: May 27, 2014, 11:57:31 am »

Maybe we need to steal their Thunder?

I go there a lot. It seems like a totally different animal than Tulsa. We don't need to emulate them, we need to play up our own stuff. Like Blue Dome, Brady, Cherry, Brookside and the River. But mostly we need better paying jobs for the mainstream of the city.

onward...through the fog
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #47 on: May 27, 2014, 12:02:52 pm »

It really does seem like OKC is growing much faster and is becoming the city of choice in Oklahoma while "T" Towne gets  left behind in the dust. They are really taking care of business in OKC. I heard the unemployment rate is around 3% and jobs go begging for employees. Everything we do here in "T" Towne  OKC is already one step ahead of  us. The OKC Marathon is even starting to get national attention. OKC has built one heck of a nifty system of jogging trails, they  run half marathon races  on the Lake Hefner Trail ... Tulsa needs to get it's rump in gear. OKC now has the states tallest skyscraper, something like 900' or 1000' tall. I'm telling ya Tulsa is becoming 2nd fiddle fast. Undecided

Tulsa has always been second fiddle. They spent $95 Million on a tribal museum when the tribes don't even seem to want it, and are thinking about spending another $40M on it, finishing it at close to 3x budget. OKC was jealous of Tulsa's river development opportunities so they built a river of their own while denying us even basic funds to do dam repairs on ours.

OKC is Dallas, Tulsa is Austin. Austin will never big bigger than Dallas, and will never have taller buildings or better funding.... but personally I can't stand Dallas.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #48 on: May 27, 2014, 12:08:29 pm »

Tulsa has always been second fiddle. They spent $95 Million on a tribal museum when the tribes don't even seem to want it, and are thinking about spending another $40M on it, finishing it at close to 3x budget. OKC was jealous of Tulsa's river development opportunities so they built a river of their own while denying us even basic funds to do dam repairs on ours.

OKC is Dallas, Tulsa is Austin. Austin will never big bigger than Dallas, and will never have taller buildings or better funding.... but personally I can't stand Dallas.

And boom goes the dynamite. That's pretty well put. I can't stand OKC.  Closest I'll go to it is Stroud.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #49 on: May 27, 2014, 12:20:46 pm »

OKC is flat and ugly.  Tulsa is voluptuous and curvy.  They are just jealous. 

I used to live in OKC.  My dog ran away one day, and a week later you could still see him on the horizon.

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
Cats Cats Cats
City Father

« Reply #50 on: May 27, 2014, 12:29:33 pm »

The beer scene is better in Tulsa than OKC.
DolfanBob
City Father

« Reply #51 on: May 27, 2014, 01:02:00 pm »

Tulsa. The pretty Oklahoma City.  Grin

Changing opinions one mistake at a time.
rdj
City Father

« Reply #52 on: May 27, 2014, 01:38:17 pm »

The beer scene is better in Tulsa than OKC.

Coop and Mustang would probably disagree.

Live Generous.  Live Blessed.
hello
Civic Leader

« Reply #53 on: May 27, 2014, 01:49:05 pm »

OKC is flat and ugly.  Tulsa is voluptuous and curvy.  They are just jealous. 

OKC *is* ugly and after about a few hours I think why am I visiting here again and am ready to go home. Tulsa is a far more beautiful city. I don't want Tulsa to BE OKC but I just wish we had more concentrated retail stores in our districts downtown.

rdj
City Father

« Reply #54 on: May 27, 2014, 02:44:28 pm »

Spent any time around the remodeled Myriad Gardens?  Plaza District?  Broadway aka Automobile Alley?  Deep Deuce? Plaza Court area?  Hudson & 8th?  Crown Heights?  Mesta Park & Heritage Hills?  All great areas that rival any public space, entertainment district  and historic neighborhood Tulsa has to offer.  Yes, parts of OKC resemble 'Merica's largest truck stop, but don't let your Green Country Glasses shade out the desirable parts of OKC that many Tulsans would feel right at home.

Not sure, how a thread about Tulsa's best downtown festival in one weekend turned into bashing OKC, but jeeze the little brother syndrome came out quick.

On the original topic, I'm not sure how'd I'd rank them.  They are all very different strokes for different folks.  Personally, I'd rather see this programming spread out on separate weekends rather than all lumped into one weekend but that is me.  Besides, the best downtown festival is really Tulsa Tough.  Nothing better than the Friday night crits under the lights in the Blue Dome District.

Live Generous.  Live Blessed.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #55 on: May 27, 2014, 02:50:56 pm »

Coop and Mustang would probably disagree.

And Roughtail, Dead Armadillo (for now), Huebert’s, Anthem, Battered Boar, Bell Isle, Hicktown Brewery, and probably a few others I’m forgetting.

Is Mustang actually brewing in the OKC area now?

FWIW, my wife grew up in Midwest City.  She is eternally grateful we ended up in Tulsa and not OKC when we got married as was the original plan.  She likes the cycling scene better, Tulsa is prettier, and it doesn’t have quite the sprawl OKC metro does.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 02:52:30 pm by Conan71 » Logged

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Cats Cats Cats
City Father

« Reply #56 on: May 27, 2014, 03:05:35 pm »

And Roughtail, Dead Armadillo (for now), Huebert’s, Anthem, Battered Boar, Bell Isle, Hicktown Brewery, and probably a few others I’m forgetting.

Is Mustang actually brewing in the OKC area now?

FWIW, my wife grew up in Midwest City.  She is eternally grateful we ended up in Tulsa and not OKC when we got married as was the original plan.  She likes the cycling scene better, Tulsa is prettier, and it doesn’t have quite the sprawl OKC metro does.

If you just sit around and count breweries then sure.  I didn't know companies constitute a scene.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #57 on: May 27, 2014, 03:35:23 pm »

If you just sit around and count breweries then sure.  I didn't know companies constitute a scene.

How do you define it then since you made the initial comment about Tulsa having a superior beer scene?

I don’t see how the craft brew culture is any different there unless you are referring to some comments on the Oklahoma Craft Beer FB page in relation to participation in Craft Beer week in OKC.  They’ve got Tapwerks & McNellies as well as other places you can enjoy craft beer (some people seem to think Tapwerks is better than McNellies).  They have more breweries and brew pubs.  That would indicate to me that their scene is a little better established considering Tulsa hasn’t had a brew pub in 15+ years and we currently have two functioning breweries with two more to come that I know of.

There’s a few liquor stores I can think of that cater to the craft beer crowd pretty well there, that’s probably an area we do excel at as I can think of about six or seven really well-stocked stores with a great variety of craft brew.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Cats Cats Cats
City Father

« Reply #58 on: May 27, 2014, 05:19:38 pm »

Tulsa had a brew pub 2 years ago but it got shut down.  I'm basing it on what I hear from people who work in the beer industry in OKC and do events in Tulsa and OKC.  There are other little things like our homebrew club is 30 years old and theirs is 4.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 05:23:35 pm by CharlieSheen » Logged
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #59 on: May 27, 2014, 05:30:12 pm »

Denver has a Coors Brewery, obviously they are superior.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org