A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 28, 2024, 05:28:59 pm
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Space immediately North of The Tavern (Brady District)  (Read 34372 times)
DTowner
City Father

« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2015, 10:00:35 am »

I moved back from Kansas City in the Fall of 1987 and lived at Center Plaza (now Central Park Condos) for a year and a half or so.  Other than flop houses, that was about it.  It was still an apartment complex back then and had a very eclectic crowd living there.  YP’s, retirees, middle age divorcees, creative types, and professionals.  The decline in downtown had pretty well bottomed-out by then and it was not in very high demand.  Still no idea what made me an "aspiring urbanite" at the age of 21, but I was simply drawn to it.  Other than concert nights, there really was nothing to do downtown at night.  Any bars were pretty sketchy.  They did have a bar in the basement of the north building, but it was not heavily utilized.

I lived in the Uptown Renaissance in early 2000s.  The apartment was very nice and it was great walking to work, but there wasn’t much happening on that side of town.  On a positive note, my dogs and I meet some very “interesting” characters on our walks around the courthouse/library plaza.
DTowner
City Father

« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2015, 10:05:08 am »

There is not much more today. Most are pretty pricey and are 100% full. I'm looking forward to more affordable apartments in the Brady that are open to everyone to rent.

I hear this from a number of our younger employees.  However, unless the bottom falls out of the local economy (not so unthinkable given oil’s decline), I doubt there’s going to be much affordable housing stock in the middle of the action downtown.  It’s simply too expensive to rehab and repurpose existing buildings or to buy land for new construction. 
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2015, 10:57:07 am »

Hartford Commons should be resonable rates, at least on a par with rents throughout the city.

There are lots of apartments and garage apartments very reasonable in Riverview, Owen Park and Brady Heights.
rdj
City Father

« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2015, 12:29:36 pm »

I thought Eliot Nelson & Casey Stowe's project on Elgin and 8th (?) would be closer to suburban market rate?

Multi-family rental rates are rising throughout the city and the nation.  With the tightening of mortgage standards and the desire for mobility less people are buying their residence, single family or otherwise.  Most real estate investors will tell you the place to be is in multi-family.  This is the reason ARG was able to unload so much of their portfolio to fund their downtown Tulsa projects.

Live Generous.  Live Blessed.
DowntownDan
City Father

« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2015, 02:38:48 pm »

You're pretty much describing right now. Downtown sits at or near 100% occupancy and rental rates of $1.50 psf and up putting basically every apartment at over $1,000/mo.

The Philtower was going for $2000+ a month.  I doubt any of the new stuff downtown is that high.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2015, 10:31:49 am »

The Philtower was going for $2000+ a month.  I doubt any of the new stuff downtown is that high.

The 100 Boulder condos are about $200,000 each, and on top of your mortgage you owe $1600/mo in condo fees for 1000sqft.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2015, 10:45:11 am »

The 100 Boulder condos are about $200,000 each, and on top of your mortgage you owe $1600/mo in condo fees for 1000sqft.

$1600?  Per month? SRSLY?

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2015, 10:49:10 am »

$1600?  Per month? SRSLY?

Just re-read the page. They need to be more clear. Those amount are for the whole complex (WTH)

So per unit it is more like $100 per month.

(Keep in mind in these units you sleep on a murphy bed, have no real closet and a tub is not an option)
« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 10:51:45 am by sgrizzle » Logged
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #38 on: January 31, 2015, 11:55:06 am »

$200 to $225K for less than 1000 square feet.  Wow.  I’m sure that would sound like a bargain if I were relocating from NYC or San Francisco.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #39 on: January 31, 2015, 12:43:31 pm »

$200 to $225K for less than 1000 square feet.  Wow.  I’m sure that would sound like a bargain if I were relocating from NYC or San Francisco.

Exactly what I was thinking earlier, given the proclivity for those two metros to only have real estate available vertically...Tulsa?  Well, we're not so crowded in that market.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
johrasephoenix
« Reply #40 on: January 31, 2015, 01:22:50 pm »

I would pay $200k for a kick donkey apartment downtown, especially if it was in the Brady District and maybe the Blue Dome.  People want to be near the fun stuff.

The problem with that project is that condos are unbelievably ugly.  They are a solid blank wall sandwiched between parking lots.  There are lots of ways you could make that lot work, but what they did is not one of them. 

Brick construction, differentiated units, detail and craftsmanship, something to make it look like it belongs to ANY architectural school (my preference for is replicating Tulsa's 1920s brick look, but really I would take anything).  What they have there doesn't look like anything.   

Wish I could find a way to insert images...

ZYX
Philanthropist

« Reply #41 on: January 31, 2015, 01:47:22 pm »

The problem with that project is that condos are unbelievably ugly.  They are a solid blank wall sandwiched between parking lots.  There are lots of ways you could make that lot work, but what they did is not one of them.  

This is exactly what I think every time I walk by these. Other than being right up next to a huge parking garage, they've got a pretty decent location. But they're incredibly bland. Even just a little bit of color would go a long way to way to make this more appealing. Why did they paint to gray?
« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 02:00:16 pm by ZYX » Logged
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #42 on: February 02, 2015, 10:39:22 am »

This is exactly what I think every time I walk by these. Other than being right up next to a huge parking garage, they've got a pretty decent location. But they're incredibly bland. Even just a little bit of color would go a long way to way to make this more appealing. Why did they paint to gray?

The inside is not much more appealing...they feel like a suburban apartment inside and there is zero thought to the urban view outside of the (if there were any) windows. There are no trees, there is no curb appeal and it's like the developer has never walked through an urban neighborhood in any big city.

I'm happy that we are building in the empty spaces, but geez...this is a true lack of vision = FAIL.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #43 on: February 02, 2015, 10:54:06 am »

The inside is not much more appealing...they feel like a suburban apartment inside and there is zero thought to the urban view outside of the (if there were any) windows. There are no trees, there is no curb appeal and it's like the developer has never walked through an urban neighborhood in any big city.

I'm happy that we are building in the empty spaces, but geez...this is a true lack of vision = FAIL.

20th century brutalist design?

saintnicster
« Reply #44 on: February 03, 2015, 01:19:55 pm »

I would pay $200k for a kick donkey apartment downtown, especially if it was in the Brady District and maybe the Blue Dome.  People want to be near the fun stuff.

The problem with that project is that condos are unbelievably ugly.  They are a solid blank wall sandwiched between parking lots.  There are lots of ways you could make that lot work, but what they did is not one of them. 

Brick construction, differentiated units, detail and craftsmanship, something to make it look like it belongs to ANY architectural school (my preference for is replicating Tulsa's 1920s brick look, but really I would take anything).  What they have there doesn't look like anything.   

Wish I could find a way to insert images...

They were part of the Dwell in the IDL tour this year.  There were some details that were kinda neat, but also stuff that just looked bad.  Galley kitchen looked modern, but when I saw things like the glass shower door being installed crooked, or the HDMI cables just hanging out of the wall instead of going to a flush plug in the wall, it just looked sloppy.  Factor in that you're paying 1000 a month in mortgage alone, and it was just bad.

As soon as they put up those prices, I figured that they'd eventually be bought at discount by banks and other companies as executive apartments.  I don't know if anyone has bought a unit
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org