A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 28, 2024, 09:27:33 am
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tulsa Bike Park  (Read 2897 times)
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« on: May 11, 2016, 10:14:31 am »

As an insider on Tulsa Tough, it’s been hard not to say anything about this for the last 1 1/2 years since I first heard the concept.

From Malcolm McCollam, Executive Director of St. Francis Tulsa Tough:

For the past year - at the request of Tulsa Tough - OU Urban Design grad students have been working quietly and under the radar studying possible opportunities for Tulsa's West River Bank, including Turkey Mountain. The culmination of this work will be on display Wednesday, May 11, at 8th & Cincinnati from 5 - 8 p.m. ...This project lays out a true vision (and I don't use that word lightly) for Tulsa. Gravity trails, BMX tracks, velodrome, green space and more. End your ride at 8th & Cinncinati or be like me and skip one week. This is worth your time.

The unveil takes place at the Cyntergy offices in the old Avanti Building.  This would be a very cool community asset for Tulsa.  

The best part, IMO, is this would enhance the experience of Turkey Mountain users while also making really good use of the area used for sludge drying beds and compost for years.  The largest part of the development would be south of the 71st St. bridge.

http://www.newson6.com/story/31638905/ou-students-team-with-tulsa-tough-for-west-river-bank-designs
« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 10:18:10 am by Conan71 » Logged

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
PonderInc
City Dweller
City Father

« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2016, 02:11:36 pm »

This is a super cool concept. 

Just curious, what's the plan for sludge drying?  This presumably still needs to occur, and it obviously stinks, so you can't put it just anywhere.  Can this facility be relocated?

I'm making the assumption that this has something to do with the city's water treatment system.  If that's false, please correct me.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2016, 02:55:40 pm »

This is a super cool concept. 

Just curious, what's the plan for sludge drying?  This presumably still needs to occur, and it obviously stinks, so you can't put it just anywhere.  Can this facility be relocated?

I'm making the assumption that this has something to do with the city's water treatment system.  If that's false, please correct me.

I can think of a few city officials whose yards could use a direct application...but I digress.

As it is now, the sludge is trucked there from the WWT plant off I-44.  There’s no reason it can’t be trucked elsewhere.  I’ll ask this evening at the reveal.  You should go!

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2016, 06:57:33 am »

Wife and I biked there.

Neat plans, lots of imagination with the students. Obviously some things that are very unlikely to ever happen (41st street bridge, development over the concrete plant and Riverwest park at 23rd, development of the Holly Refinery land near Garden City), but their ideas are cool. A lot of them I'd be a huge, huge fan of. Like everything near Turkey Mountain (sludge site as mentioned, and north of there where a lot of land is under/not utilized).

Plus, there was free beer. Who knew?
« Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 07:50:26 am by cannon_fodder » Logged

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2016, 09:46:20 pm »

Wife and I biked there.

Neat plans, lots of imagination with the students. Obviously some things that are very unlikely to ever happen (41st street bridge, development over the concrete plant and Riverwest park at 23rd, development of the Holly Refinery land near Garden City), but their ideas are cool. A lot of them I'd be a huge, huge fan of. Like everything near Turkey Mountain (sludge site as mentioned, and north of there where a lot of land is under/not utilized).

Plus, there was free beer. Who knew?

Free "beer" is relative.  They had AB-InBev products left by the time the mood hit us.  ABIB is dead to me.

Great concepts and some ideas which came up in the pitch for Vision funds were absorbed and re-presented which I thought was pretty cool.  The bike park, depending on costs could become a reality.  Apparently, the sludge beds can be moved to the south to accommodate.  That whole section could make a really neat recreational and retail node without ruining the experience for trail users.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 07:50:36 am by cannon_fodder » Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org