A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 24, 2024, 04:29:05 pm
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hey patric! Lighting questions.  (Read 6988 times)
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2007, 10:07:16 pm »

A good example of Mercury's relationship to electrical generation in the news today:

(MUSKOGEE, Okla.) June 17 -  Environmental researchers say mercury concentrations in rainfall samples collected near an eastern Oklahoma town were higher than those found in all but one other town in the U.S.

Rainfall samples collected at an air quality station near Stilwell in Adair County had a mercury concentration of 15.4 nanograms per liter.

That's more than twice the national average of about 7 nanograms per liter, according to the Mercury Deposition Network, which is part of the National Atmospheric Deposition Program.

The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency has previously identified coal-fired power plants as a main source of atmospheric mercury, and four such plants are in counties near to Stilwell.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
PonderInc
City Dweller
City Father

« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2007, 04:06:41 pm »

Didn't I read somewhere that AEP wants to build a huge coal-fueled power plant in Oklahoma somewhere?  This strikes me as folly in a state known for it's natural gas reserves.  (Especially given the devastation caused by leveling mountains to get at the coal...too bad the folks in W.Virgina don't have much say in the matter...)
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2007, 07:17:42 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by PonderInc

Didn't I read somewhere that AEP wants to build a huge coal-fueled power plant in Oklahoma somewhere?  This strikes me as folly in a state known for it's natural gas reserves.  (Especially given the devastation caused by leveling mountains to get at the coal...too bad the folks in W.Virgina don't have much say in the matter...)

AEP and OG&E are cooperatively building a coal-fired plant south of Ponca City next door to OG&E's sooner power plant. While AEP's oklahoma subsidiary runs almost entirely on Natural Gas, the parent company is almost exclusively coal.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org