A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 29, 2024, 03:37:22 pm
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Asking TU to revoke your degree  (Read 7589 times)
MarkPotts
« on: April 29, 2006, 10:19:08 pm »

I received a B.S. in mathematics from the University of Tulsa in 1985. Because the degree has proved useless in getting any kind of decent job, I would like to ask TU to revoke it. After corresponding with a TU official named Joan Nesbitt, I learned that TU doesn't have a procedure to consider such a request.

Have you heard of any other TU graduate who tried to get TU to revoke his degree? I would like to get in contact with such people.
MarkPotts
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2007, 10:36:34 pm »

Still looking. Certainly other Tulsans have had bad experiences with TU, as they work in their Wal Mart or Quik Trip sorts of jobs with their overpriced bachelors degrees from that place.
Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2007, 10:48:23 pm »

I think you should search for a good shrink.....

rwarn17588
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2007, 12:27:09 am »

Who would ever want to revoke a hard-earned degree?

That'd be like wanting to revoke your membership to the human race.

Be proud of your degree. Don't treat it like an affliction.

Otherwise, I concur with Breadburner.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2007, 06:45:49 am »

quote:
Originally posted by MarkPotts

Still looking. Certainly other Tulsans have had bad experiences with TU, as they work in their Wal Mart or Quik Trip sorts of jobs with their overpriced bachelors degrees from that place.

If you used that logic, OU would have to revoke almost every degree they issued..

<ba-dum-ching!>

Seriously though, this is the land of lawsuits. If you have the money and the time, you could always look at breach of contract. If the college fostered a reasonable expectation of a certain job or pay level and you didn't get there and you can prove that TU's education was the reason why, then you might have a shot. Don't know about getting your degree revoked, but maybe get your tuition money back. If you can find a lawyer to take it, it could make good press to.
DM
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2007, 06:46:41 am »

quote:
Because the degree has proved useless in getting any kind of decent job,

Maybe its not the degree that is preventing you from getting the decent job. Maybe its you.
TURobY
Social Butterfly
City Father

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2007, 06:47:48 am »

quote:

Have you heard of any other TU graduate who tried to get TU to revoke his degree? I would like to get in contact with such people.

quote:

No luck yet? I will let you know that I'm doing quite well with my degree from TU. In fact, I've even returned to TU to work on my MBA.

The fact is that you can find people from any school that were not successful in their field. Trolling around on this board will not help you with your problems.

---Robert
AMP
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2007, 10:28:31 am »

If education is based on outcome there are thousands of people in Oklahoma/Arkansas/Kansas and Texas that may want to file a similar lawsuit.  Based on the law suit for lack of education theory, I have dealings with hundreds of folks that should enter into a class action suit against the Public School Systems.  They obviously were shortchanged on their secondary education if they were issued a diploma.  

I have said for years, many of those folks need a refund or additional classroom time to bring them up to speed.  
Renaissance
City Father

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2007, 11:44:54 am »

If you don't want your degree, physically tear it up and never refer to it again on your resume.  No one will ever know you attended an institution of higher learning.

Enjoy manual labor.
midtownnewbie
Activist

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2007, 12:27:25 pm »

What job did you expect to get with a math degree?

PonderInc
City Dweller
City Father

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2007, 01:16:14 pm »

So you got an education, but wanted job training instead?  Perhaps you would be happier with a degree from Tulsa Technology Center?  Or there's always truck driving school...

Or might I suggest the armed forces?  They're always looking for an "Army of One."  And once you graduate, I bet they put you straight to work!

I remember hearing a great quote about higher learning: "The goal of education is not to guarantee you a job; the goal of education is to free your mind."

Oh, and hint to job seekers: You'll have better luck at interviews if you peel that big sticker off your forehead that says "Entitled whiner/victim seeks prestigious, high-paying job.  No previous experience."
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2007, 01:53:27 pm »

Underemployed with a math degree and you are surprised, why?

I believe mathematics degrees are usually undergrad with the intention of getting something more specialized, like a masters or doctorate in econ, finance, or some science.  Why didn't you get something with an application involved, like accounting.

I'd think it would work pretty good for bartending, I mean having to make change under pressure & all.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2007, 01:58:24 pm »

He could calculate the interest on the private school loans and compare that to the loss of potential earnings then extrapolate the difference with compounded interested over his life.  The degree isn't worthless.

Most degree's in science fields are in huge demand.  Actually, at 4% unemployment warm bodies that are literate are in demand.  A degree should be a bonus, a degree in anything.  Even "general studies,"  "non-teaching English" or math.

I appreciate your frustration, but what do you have that the labor market should buy and what have you done to sell it?

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2007, 02:15:06 pm »

quote:

I received a B.S. in mathematics from the University of Tulsa in 1985. Because the degree has proved useless in getting any kind of decent job, I would like to ask TU to revoke it. After corresponding with a TU official named Joan Nesbitt, I learned that TU doesn't have a procedure to consider such a request.

Everyone should really visit this guys blog from his profile, it's an old but still interesting read.

http://supersurvival.blogspot.com

Phireman
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2007, 04:31:23 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by DM

quote:
Because the degree has proved useless in getting any kind of decent job,

Maybe its not the degree that is preventing you from getting the decent job. Maybe its you.

Plus one.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org