A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 18, 2024, 07:03:10 pm
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 14   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bartlett Square Fountain  (Read 81026 times)
OurTulsa
« Reply #135 on: March 30, 2011, 12:53:06 pm »

The street is already "calmed." It's narrow. It's not smooth. There are buildings up to the sidewalk on most of that three-block stretch.

The speed limit's 25, but everything about that street tells you to go slower than that, like 15 or 20mph. The guy who hit that hard enough to cause that kind of destruction had to be seriously stupid plus seriously distracted.

The fountain itself may suck, but there's nothing wrong with that intersection other than its location in the middle of many dumbass drivers. People can't even get the fact that in America, we drive on the right. So many people turn left there rather than going 3/4 way around the fountain.

Agree.  That intersection is pleasant from many perspectives.  The slower speeds actually aid traffic through-put.  A 4-way stop would be an unecessary step back in terms of traffic management.  From a pedestrian and aesthetic perspective the circle adds alot of value.  The fountain itself isn't exactly beautiful but it is nicer than flat brick-stamped asphalt/concrete.
Cats Cats Cats
City Father

« Reply #136 on: March 30, 2011, 01:05:49 pm »

Agree.  That intersection is pleasant from many perspectives.  The slower speeds actually aid traffic through-put.  A 4-way stop would be an unecessary step back in terms of traffic management.  From a pedestrian and aesthetic perspective the circle adds alot of value.  The fountain itself isn't exactly beautiful but it is nicer than flat brick-stamped asphalt/concrete.

I think I have seen just about as many people hit the fountain as the average number of people sitting at it through the entire year.
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #137 on: March 31, 2011, 07:43:24 am »

I think I have seen just about as many people hit the fountain as the average number of people sitting at it through the entire year.

No one is going to sit at this fountain unless the street is closed for an event.
Maybe we can call it "fail fountain"
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #138 on: March 31, 2011, 07:44:31 am »

No one is going to sit at this fountain unless the street is closed for an event.
Maybe we can call it "fail fountain"

Not as long as there's a big bullseye in the center of it they won't sit at it.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #139 on: March 31, 2011, 08:03:34 am »

Definitely not a "sitting fountian"  I never saw anything in the design that said "sit on me"
However, Kenny (or whatever the guitar singing dude's name is) regularly stood/sat around it.   He seems a little lost/misplaced right now.
Cats Cats Cats
City Father

« Reply #140 on: March 31, 2011, 09:16:51 am »

Definitely not a "sitting fountian"  I never saw anything in the design that said "sit on me"
However, Kenny (or whatever the guitar singing dude's name is) regularly stood/sat around it.   He seems a little lost/misplaced right now.

That guy has been raising money for the last few years in his guitar case to rebuild the fountain.
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #141 on: March 31, 2011, 10:48:30 am »

While that's a neat bulb, nathanm, I was thinking of linear cove lighting under the lip of the fountain, where the light source is concealed but the fountain itself is illuminated.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #142 on: May 04, 2012, 10:37:05 am »

I couldn't remember where the city was with the fountains.

Will it be a splash pad fountain?
dsjeffries
City Father

« Reply #143 on: May 04, 2012, 01:12:33 pm »

More like a bird bath. Replace the water once a month in the summer and hope that it rains enough the rest of the year to keep it filled.

Change never happened because people were happy with the status quo.
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #144 on: May 04, 2012, 02:18:46 pm »

More like a bird bath. Replace the water once a month in the summer and hope that it rains enough the rest of the year to keep it filled.

The city of Tulsa has agreed to pay a total of $315,000 to the parents of two unrelated children who died from a rare, water-borne disease after playing at a Mohawk Park splash pad in the summer of 2005.

Terrell Hampton II, 9, and Martinez Owens, 7, both died Aug. 5, 2005, after becoming sick with the naegleria fowleri infection days earlier.

The lawsuit alleged that both boys were exposed to the naegleria fowleri amoeba while playing at the splash pad in the city park.

Naegleria is caused by an amoeba that lives in warm water. The rare infection caused by naegleria cannot be contracted by drinking water or merely wading in it; the water must go up a person's nose, where the amoeba enters the body through the nasal passage and then follows the central nervous system to the brain.

The water park and playground adjacent to the Tulsa Zoo opened in July 2003. After the illnesses, the city closed the splash pad and officials said the system would be revamped so it no longer used recirculated water.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #145 on: May 04, 2012, 02:26:08 pm »

The city of Tulsa has agreed to pay a total of $315,000 to the parents of two unrelated children who died from a rare, water-borne disease after playing at a Mohawk Park splash pad in the summer of 2005.

Terrell Hampton II, 9, and Martinez Owens, 7, both died Aug. 5, 2005, after becoming sick with the naegleria fowleri infection days earlier.

The lawsuit alleged that both boys were exposed to the naegleria fowleri amoeba while playing at the splash pad in the city park.

Naegleria is caused by an amoeba that lives in warm water. The rare infection caused by naegleria cannot be contracted by drinking water or merely wading in it; the water must go up a person's nose, where the amoeba enters the body through the nasal passage and then follows the central nervous system to the brain.

The water park and playground adjacent to the Tulsa Zoo opened in July 2003. After the illnesses, the city closed the splash pad and officials said the system would be revamped so it no longer used recirculated water.

I don't think the plans were for a playground splash pad.
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #146 on: May 04, 2012, 02:54:13 pm »

I don't think the plans were for a playground splash pad.

But that could be interesting see as how attractive that spot is for cheerleaders from Owasso....
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #147 on: May 04, 2012, 03:22:22 pm »

But that could be interesting see as how attractive that spot is for cheerleaders from Owasso....

Undercarriage washes galore
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #148 on: May 04, 2012, 03:32:56 pm »

Undercarriage washes galore

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #149 on: May 05, 2012, 05:19:40 pm »

New fountain will have no bowl, basically submerged jets.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 14   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org