A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 27, 2024, 01:30:06 am
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I-44 Right of Way Aquisition  (Read 9662 times)
Dana431
Armchair Urbanist
Civic Leader

« on: October 24, 2006, 07:22:49 pm »

I saw today's article in the Tulsa World (www.tulsaworld.com/NewsStory.asp?ID=061024_Ne_A1_I44wi124) and it reminded me that last week I received a letter from Smith-Roberts Land Services, Inc.  It said:

October 18, 2006

RE:  Oklahoma Department of Transportation, I-44 Improvement Project, (number), (number), Tulsa County

This letter is to notify you that the Oklahoma Department of Transportation (ODOT) is beginning the right-of-way phase on the above-referenced project.  Based on the design plan, it has been determined that property you may own or have an interest in could be affected by the new right-of-way requirements.

ODOT has contracted the local Tulsa firm of Smith-Roberts Land Services, Inc. (SRLS) to provide its right-of-way aquisition and relocation services for this project.  If you are an occupant of the property, a relocation agent of Smith-Roberts will be contacting you in the near future to provide you general information on the right-of-way process and explain ODOT's relocation program of benefits and assistance.  Smith-Roberts' phone number is (918) 359-7500; our office is located on the north side of I-44, west of Harvard, at Suite 103, 3000 Center, 3015 East Skelly Drive, Tulsa.

You or your representative will be given the opportunity to accompany the appraiser who will establish the valuation of your property.  The appraisal company which will be providing ODOT with these services is the local Tulsa firm of Integra Realty Resources, phone (918) 492-4844.  An appraiser associated with Integra will be contacting you in the near future to arrange for the appraisal inspection of your property.

Another representative of Smith-Roberts will be contacting you after the appraisal and review of that appraisal are complete, when acquisition of your property interest is known.  This individual will schedule an appointment with you to provide you with information on ODOT's acquisition process and discuss any offer to purchase the property.

Smith-Roberts website is www.srls.net

My property is west of Lewis.  But when I look at the INCOG website it doesn't show anything happening west of Lewis in the FY 2006-2008 Transportation Improvement Program (http://www.incog.org/Transportation/Documents/TIP2006_2008.pdf).  Did ODOT bypass INCOG on this?

Has any of you been through a right-of-way process?  My plumber was saying the Wendy's next to TU "got screwed" in their eminent domain process, but that sounds like heresay.

Anyways, this is what a right-of-way letter looks like.
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2006, 06:18:15 am »

The negotiations for the Wendy's property on 11th never made it to the eminent domain stage, as a mutual agreement over fair market value was achieved.
TulsaDavid
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2006, 11:59:15 am »

Jamil's Steakhouse is closing because of this.
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2006, 11:07:21 pm »

I thought that as I44 was widened, the trail was going to be extended alongside it. It was part of the trails master plan and would eventually connect to riverside.  I live right by a part that already exists and was excited to see the next section towards riverside go in.  But, as of yet, I can see no way for it to happen?  It just appears as if the trail is going to end right at Yale.  Whats that all about?  

Here is a view, you can see part of the trail that already exists to the right of the highway and the wall. I don't see where and how its going to get across the road and where it would go after that?

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2006, 07:25:06 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Dana431

My property is west of Lewis.  But when I look at the INCOG website it doesn't show anything happening west of Lewis in the FY 2006-2008 Transportation Improvement Program (http://www.incog.org/Transportation/Documents/TIP2006_2008.pdf).  Did ODOT bypass INCOG on this?

The I-44 plan:
http://www.okladot.state.ok.us/meetings/post/i44riverside-plans.pdf
makelifebetter4ok
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2006, 08:04:49 am »

Yep.  Pave this town, til EVERYTHING is either a parking lot or a 6-lane road.  Ya think we got enough concrete in this crummy town?  Naaaaaaaaaaah.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2006, 10:13:16 am »

quote:
Originally posted by makelifebetter4ok

Yep.  Pave this town, til EVERYTHING is either a parking lot or a 6-lane road.  Ya think we got enough concrete in this crummy town?  Naaaaaaaaaaah.

You know, for being so opposed to the highways, we sure see you a lot on them.

Seems like a bicycling santa could be of better use around this time of year trying to get bicycles for needy children, while also raising bicycle riding awareness.

Call me crazy.
Dana431
Armchair Urbanist
Civic Leader

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2006, 10:15:33 am »

quote:
Originally posted by TheArtist

I thought that as I44 was widened, the trail was going to be extended alongside it. It was part of the trails master plan and would eventually connect to riverside.  I live right by a part that already exists and was excited to see the next section towards riverside go in.  But, as of yet, I can see no way for it to happen?  It just appears as if the trail is going to end right at Yale.  Whats that all about?  

Here is a view, you can see part of the trail that already exists to the right of the highway and the wall. I don't see where and how its going to get across the road and where it would go after that?

I also wondered how the trail was supposed cross Yale.  Will there be a walkway built over Yale?
makelifebetter4ok
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2006, 06:34:39 am »

quote:
Originally posted by sgrizzle

You know, for being so opposed to the highways, we sure see you a lot on them.

Seems like a bicycling santa could be of better use around this time of year trying to get bicycles for needy children, while also raising bicycle riding awareness.

Call me crazy.

No, you are not crazy.  Perhaps a bit misguided and IGNORANT.  

Bikes are not toys.  Improperly assembled and/or driven, they can kill and maim.  Note to Salvation Army and Goodwill:  Wal-Mart is facing some choice lawsuits for selling improperly assembled bikes that caused MAJOR injuries to kids.  Just about every happy-go-lucky personal injury legal eagles are BANKING on board this money train.  Keep selling bad, USED bikes, you are next on the hit list.

Misguided efforts during X-mas giving away bikes to "needy" kids, without the attendent bike driving education at the 4th and 5th grade level, is like giving EverClear to drunks or Sonics cheesecake bites to FAT people.  

Nothing more than passive-aggressive PEDICIDE.  To all the misguided X-mas do-gooders, Santa spits on the graves of your mothers, for all the children you kill and maim, with all your SELFISH do-gooding, just to feed your PATHETIC need to do-good.

No, Santa is NOT opposed to highways.  Just the six-lane ones.  Keep the four lanes roads, with two lanes for buses and the other two for everyone else, bikes and personal owned motor vehicles.  Be sure to lay down a patch for walkers and rollerbladers too.  Come on, people, how much pavement do we really need when the price of gas goes to $10?

Seems to me, Santa has already raised bicycle riding awareness.  You light up your house and yard for X-Mas.  Santa lights up the 911 switchboard and the town.

When the 911 switchboard lights up, EVERYONE, the police, the motorists, and the media, gets a quickie crash course in bike riding.  There is some, albeit, not a whole lot, method to the madness.  

The State Legislature can either ban Santa off the roadway OR DPS can include questions on bicycle laws in the driver's test, like California.  Feliz Navidad y Ano Nuevo, people.

makelifebetter4ok
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2006, 06:38:09 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Dana431

I also wondered how the trail was supposed cross Yale.  Will there be a walkway built over Yale?

There's no need for a trail across Yale, when you already have the ROW on I-44.  We already have all the trails we need.  The problem is the price of gas is still too low.
rwarn17588
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2006, 10:53:03 am »

Santa wrote:

When the 911 switchboard lights up, EVERYONE, the police, the motorists, and the media, gets a quickie crash course in bike riding. There is some, albeit, not a whole lot, method to the madness.

<end clip>

I don't see ... *any* ... method at all, sir.
makelifebetter4ok
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2006, 09:53:25 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by rwarn17588

I don't see ... *any* ... method at all, sir.

Perhaps you wish to accompany Santa during one of his outings on I-44 and write the story: What actually happens behind the scene at 911 dispatch when Santa rolls.
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2006, 10:19:45 am »

Other than for that handfull of people, how does that educate everyone else. Heck I still don't know what your trying to educate peple about?

As for giving kids bikes. If there are bad bikes, hand out flyers letting people know what to look for.  Especially to organizations around town that do hand out or want to hand out bikes.  Tell organizations that you would be willing to give free bike lessons, that if they want to hand out bikes in order for the kid to get them for free, have the condition that the kid, or adult, should also get a safety lesson at the same time.

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
makelifebetter4ok
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2006, 06:55:46 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by TheArtist

Other than for that handfull of people, how does that educate everyone else. Heck I still don't know what your trying to educate peple about?

As for giving kids bikes. If there are bad bikes, hand out flyers letting people know what to look for.  Especially to organizations around town that do hand out or want to hand out bikes.  Tell organizations that you would be willing to give free bike lessons, that if they want to hand out bikes in order for the kid to get them for free, have the condition that the kid, or adult, should also get a safety lesson at the same time.

GENIUS!  Unfortunately, Santa is NOT qualified NOR insured to provide bike lessons, aka Effective Cycling classes.  There are four well-qualified people in this town, aka licensed cycling instructors, who provide bicycle driving classes through the auspices of Community Cycling Project.  They are Ed Wagner of Owasso, Sandra Crisp of the City of Tulsa Parks Department, Gary Parker of Eugene Fields Elementary, and Brian Potter of TCC-North.

With what little they have to work with, CCP provides specific and professional bicycle driving instruction, certified by the League of American Bicyclists, to convicted felons at Exodus House.  After completing the Effective Cycling course, CCP provides properly repaired donated bikes and accessories for the clients to use as basic transportation.

Another unfortunate situation, CCP doesn't happen without FUNDING or volunteer support.

What is really needed is publicly funded bicycle driving classes at the 4th and 5th grade level in the public school system.  This demographic is the number one roadkill statistic.  The number one dangerous manuver: the mid-block dart-out.  

Kid appears out of NOWHERE on a bike, in the middle of the block, right in front of your car.  Though you will be unharmed, you'll wish you were DEAD.  Post traumatic will haunt you for life, even if it was not your fault.  Also, teaching 4th and 5th graders would serve as precursor to regular high school drivers' ed.  

Regular bike drivers also make better car drivers.  Unless you know how to do the front flip, ala BikerFox, one bad move on a bike could make for a really BAD day.  Effective Cycling does not teach the front flip.  Then again, if you NEED the front flip, it's probably way too LATE.  There's only one relevant safety record: 100%.  

Yes, cycling on the BA and in fast-moving heavy traffic is risky business and looks suicidal.  So is eating out at Taco Bell.  But, Santa uses Effective Cycling to manage and minimize the risks.

BikerFox, BTW, is more like BikerChicken.  He does NOT practice Effective Cycling.  He rides AGAINST traffic.  He rides on the sidewalk, which, btw, is illegal in the City of Tulsa.  At least he stops for red lights.

Most people, like yourself, are totally IGNORANT about what is really required to qualify as true "bike lessons."  You seem to have a misguided, dangerous misconception that proper "bike lessons" can be accomplished on the cheap, free even, and on a Saturday morning.  Nothing can be further from the truth.

As in the earlier post, Santa invited rwarn to accompany him on a outing on I-44 and write a story: What really happens behind the scenes at 911 dispatch when Santa rolls.  Inquiring minds, especially Santa, would like to know.

Thank you, sgrizzle, for opening up a whole can of WORMS and inspiring an off-topic thread.  New Rule:  Avoid shooting the messenger.
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2006, 07:21:00 pm »

The Oklahoma Bicycling Coalition mentions some other licensed instructors than just those four.

http://okbike.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=22&Itemid=46

It also mentions bike safety classes in OKC just after the first of the year...

Classes Scheduled for this winter at Metro Tech & Bike One.

Gain a full understanding of how to safely operate a bicycle in a variety of situations. Learn how to perform a bicycle safety check
and fix a flat. Gain confidence while learning that you are riding safely and legally. Crash avoidance techniques are discussed. You'll
learn about route selection, bicycle choices, dealing with cargo and clothing, parking your bike and lighting. This class is approved by
the League of American Bicyclists and taught by a League Certified Instructor. Children over 14 may attend with an adult. Be prepared to ride rain or shine, expect cold weather!

REQUIREMENT: Bicycle, helmet and comfortable clothing.

TUITION: $40 - Bike Club Members $25
Code: GIT-CYC1-EF02
Days: Sa
Dates: 1/13/07
Time: 8 am-5 pm
Hours: 9

Power is nothing till you use it.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org