A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 29, 2024, 01:25:37 pm
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 26   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 1957 Plymouth dig up  (Read 120073 times)
sauerkraut
City Father

I Conquered The 2013 -2015 Polar Bear Plunge!!

« Reply #45 on: June 11, 2007, 03:52:11 pm »

Heck NO, it'll be worth around $50K according to talk  I have been hearing about it and the article about it in the Tulsa World, if that comes out in mint showroom new, it'll be woth a ton. In fact one story said it's worth around $75,000 in the Tulsa Newspaper. (if the car is not rusty)

Proud Global  Warming Deiner! Earth Is Getting Colder NOT Warmer!
Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #46 on: June 11, 2007, 04:19:31 pm »

It's worth what someone is willing to pay for it.....

sauerkraut
City Father

« Reply #47 on: June 12, 2007, 08:52:58 am »

I heard they plan to raise the lid today (Tuesday), I hope the weather will stay dry. They will know then if the vault is dry or wet. I guess the whole city of Tulsa is rocking over this event. I wish I could be there.[Tongue]

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #48 on: June 12, 2007, 01:20:15 pm »

Talked to the owner of the crane company today as they do some work for us.  Thursday is the test lift.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
sauerkraut
City Father

« Reply #49 on: June 12, 2007, 05:28:40 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Conan71

Talked to the owner of the crane company today as they do some work for us.  Thursday is the test lift.

That is intresting. Some posts I have been reading on other forums seemed to say they will lift out the whole vault with the car inside it and plop it all down on a truck and haul it out, but from what I understood it'll be only the car in it's wrap. The vault will stay in the ground. That is why they are poping off the lid. I wish I was a worker there chipping away at that lid gunnite, and watching that lid come off. The car inside the wrap will be opened at the C.C. at 6pm or 7pm whenever it is. The whole vault is not coming out of the ground I don't think.

AMP
« Reply #50 on: June 12, 2007, 05:42:05 pm »

Perhaps next time they should bury something big and cool such as another vehicle in the center of Skelly Stadium.  Then more folks could get a look see when they dig it back up in 50 to 100 years.  

Need to do it now, as the next Centenial will be on the same time frame.  Wonder if they have plans to re-use the vault in the ground in downtown Tulsa.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #51 on: June 12, 2007, 06:46:06 pm »

The vault is like 6" thick concrete, it's not coming out anytime soon. Even the lid is in three parts for lifting.
Steve
« Reply #52 on: June 13, 2007, 07:36:18 am »

Only the car and vault contents will be removed; the concrete vault will stay in the ground.  What I have read and heard has said the vault will remain in the ground and be backfilled with dirt and relandscaped like nothing was ever there.

Some encouraging trivia:  The concrete vault for the car was built by Max True's "True Gunn-All Corp." in Tulsa.  In early 1956, the Max True company constructed my neighborhood swimming pool at 4941 E 26 St, Tulsa's first private neighborhood subdivision (Lortondale) pool.  Except for pumps, filters, some exterior concrete decking replacement and annual painting of the pool walls & interior, our pool is exactly the same as in 1956, still open for swimming and now in its 52nd consecutive summer season.  Speaks pretty well for the Max True company and their construction quality, so I would say chances are pretty good the car vault has held up and remained water-tight.

I understand that Mr. True is now 93 years young, and he will be in the viewing stands on Friday when the car is raised from the ground.  If the car is still in half-way decent shape, we have Mr. True to largely thank for that.
sauerkraut
City Father

« Reply #53 on: June 13, 2007, 08:13:48 am »

I think it'll be a good idea to plant a 2007 vehicle in the vault to be dug up in 2057. Then the people of 2057 will have something exciting to look forward to. Seems a waste to just cover in the vault if it held so good.

AngieB
Proud Westsider
City Father

« Reply #54 on: June 13, 2007, 08:15:52 am »

There's some bad news coming from the site...

Rick Couri is there and reported seeing 3' of water in the vault and evidence that it has been completely submerged at times over the last 50 years.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #55 on: June 13, 2007, 08:33:18 am »

Per KRMG radio, several feet of water inside. No mention of the other statement. Keep in mind the rain we had yesterday which I believe was after the seal was broken.

Fingers crossed that the plastic held.
Hawkins
« Reply #56 on: June 13, 2007, 09:02:56 am »

I've personally heard from friends that work downtown that there are water marks on the walls.

Several people have taken a peek inside, and although the car is still covered, it doesn't look good. Some of the water marks are higher than the car, and there look's like old sediment on the cover.

Bad news indeed, I was really hoping the car would come out mint.

cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #57 on: June 13, 2007, 09:13:56 am »

So they are digging the car up today?  I thought it was supposed to be Friday?

Someone fill me in, clearly I'm in the dark and the buriedcar.com site is flooded with traffic and will not respond.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
tulsa1603
Philanthropist

« Reply #58 on: June 13, 2007, 09:17:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by cannon_fodder

So they are digging the car up today?  I thought it was supposed to be Friday?

Someone fill me in, clearly I'm in the dark and the buriedcar.com site is flooded with traffic and will not respond.

They took the cap off today to do an intitial inspection.  They're supposed to do a practice lift tomorrow.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #59 on: June 13, 2007, 09:17:15 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Steve

Only the car and vault contents will be removed; the concrete vault will stay in the ground.  What I have read and heard has said the vault will remain in the ground and be backfilled with dirt and relandscaped like nothing was ever there.

Some encouraging trivia:  The concrete vault for the car was built by Max True's "True Gunn-All Corp." in Tulsa.  In early 1956, the Max True company constructed my neighborhood swimming pool at 4941 E 26 St, Tulsa's first private neighborhood subdivision (Lortondale) pool.  Except for pumps, filters, some exterior concrete decking replacement and annual painting of the pool walls & interior, our pool is exactly the same as in 1956, still open for swimming and now in its 52nd consecutive summer season.  Speaks pretty well for the Max True company and their construction quality, so I would say chances are pretty good the car vault has held up and remained water-tight.

I understand that Mr. True is now 93 years young, and he will be in the viewing stands on Friday when the car is raised from the ground.  If the car is still in half-way decent shape, we have Mr. True to largely thank for that.

Steve,

Maybe they should put a pump set and filter on the vault and turn it into a pool for downtowners. [Wink]

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 26   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org