A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 29, 2024, 03:22:12 pm
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 26   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 1957 Plymouth dig up  (Read 120109 times)
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #75 on: June 13, 2007, 10:30:48 am »

Of course, now if a nice looking car is unveiled we can all conspire about a switch!  

By the way, to any city officials reading this... it would be kind of embarrassing if it was s rust pile.  So I wonder if you want *someone* to look for a 1957 to display should it come up as a pile of rust.  You know, so people know what it should have looked like.  Yeah, thats it.

Also, on an unrelated note, the new scrap medal recording guidelines have not gone into effect yet. [Wink]

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
tulsa1603
Philanthropist

« Reply #76 on: June 13, 2007, 10:31:46 am »

quote:
Originally posted by grahambino

there is still hope...that it doesnt disintegrate upon lifting it out.

it just doesnt look good based on those pics.  45 years +/- of water damage....
[V]

I'm going to hold onto the last shred of hope until I see the thing.  Smiley  They wrapped it in plastic for precisely this reason I'm sure.

TulsaSooner
« Reply #77 on: June 13, 2007, 10:36:48 am »

It's wrapped in plastic AND has some kind of coating sprayed on it doesn't it?
grahambino
« Reply #78 on: June 13, 2007, 10:39:21 am »

quote:
Originally posted by tulsa1603

quote:
Originally posted by grahambino

there is still hope...that it doesnt disintegrate upon lifting it out.

it just doesnt look good based on those pics.  45 years +/- of water damage....
[V]

I'm going to hold onto the last shred of hope until I see the thing.  Smiley  They wrapped it in plastic for precisely this reason I'm sure.

yeah, perhaps i was a bit too negative on that first post. obviously im just speculating on 45 years of damage.  
though, i cant help but think would the weight of the water 'fuse' (for lack of a better term) the plastic to the paint of the car?  

cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #79 on: June 13, 2007, 10:43:01 am »

TulsaSooner: As I understanding it is coated in cosmoline (sp?).  Which is essentially a REALLY think petroleum jelly commonly used to long store armored vehicles, rifles, and other items prone to rusting.  If they did a good enough job you could damn near just set it on the street smeared with that stuff.

I've had the misfortune of importing some rifles stuffed with it.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Lister
« Reply #80 on: June 13, 2007, 10:46:10 am »

On another note, what do you want to bet that EVERY single population estimate recorded on the microfilm in the vault will be way over what it currently is today.

Who would've thought that Tulsa's population would've declined over many of those years?
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #81 on: June 13, 2007, 10:51:43 am »

Cosmoline is an effective preservative if water doesn't get underneath it and it really only seems to be of benefit against condensation-type moisture- not sumbersion in water.  If it does, it can make matters worse.  I used to deal in surplus WWII era parts and still have quite a few things in the original packaging.  If the box was mildewy, usually the part was still okay.  If the box was submerged, it was usually junk.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Wekiwa
« Reply #82 on: June 13, 2007, 10:52:32 am »

Wasn't the car put up on jack stands, with steel i-beams on top of the stands which support the car?  I'm assuming these were installed in the vault before the car, encased in the protective bag, was lowered into it?  To me, the rust evidenced on the sides of the vault probably came from the steel exposed outside the bag.  At least, I hope that's where it came from.

Eternal optimist here!
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #83 on: June 13, 2007, 10:58:58 am »

Good point Conan... they probably did not get to cosmo the inside of the body.  Who knows.  Just thinking on paper (screen).

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Rust Country
« Reply #84 on: June 13, 2007, 11:05:32 am »

Tulsa, Oklahoma (Associated Press)  Tulsa is on the map as the buried car capitol of the world. With that in mind hundreds of millions of taxpayers dollars will soon be spent to collect the remaining Dusenbergs for burial in a mass grave on the citys south side. It is believed covering the "Duseys" in a paste of road slat should keep them pristine. Not to be outdone Broken Arrow will bury the original Bill of Rights in a paper sack and unearth it fifty years from now in a state wide celebration. Asked if the paper sack would protect this most important document Broken Arrow mayor Richard Carter said "Probably".

Save the Prowler!
http://www.geocities.com/beamascope/classic_blue.html
scrapman
« Reply #85 on: June 13, 2007, 11:24:51 am »

I suggest next time we bury a boat.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #86 on: June 13, 2007, 11:42:40 am »

I keep looking at some failry close photos and the overal structure seems intact. If you leave a car in a river for 5 years all you get is a couple of frame pieces left. This one has body panels intact.

The lack of air and lack of movement could've helped.

I want to see how "the great plastic bag" held up.

What if the pup they took out there last night was actual pumping water IN and this is all a publicity stunt?
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #87 on: June 13, 2007, 12:01:09 pm »

I just picked up the new Urban Tulsa at lunch.  (I had to go to Napoli's to pay for all the damage we did last Friday.  They've replaced all the window panels we broke).

Page 15, the new aquarium ad is very prophetic:

"See what's underground!"
And...see what's underwater"

Photo-shopped pic of a Belvedere with a shark driving it.

UTW

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
restored2x
Disgraced - AGAIN!
Civic Leader

Marble steps - Charm City

« Reply #88 on: June 13, 2007, 12:01:16 pm »

Regardless of the condition (and it appears to be at least still in the shape of a car) - it's still pretty cool. There should be no damage to the plastic - as sgrizzle said, the water that got inside wasn't moving - no force to break the plastic (except the weight of the water itself) -

Here's hoping it's a "showable" car - fingers crossed.
AMP
« Reply #89 on: June 13, 2007, 12:03:12 pm »

Anyone living in this area that has owned a home with a basement or a multi-level home with part underground knows about water damage, sump pumps and french drains.  

As with most things today, will probally cost more to transport it to the recycle metal yard than the value of the weight will bring.

Wonder how many folks are wishing their population guess is wrong, as they may be stuck with the bill to get rid of the thing.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 26   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org