A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 29, 2024, 05:28:47 pm
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 26   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 1957 Plymouth dig up  (Read 120217 times)
Daniel Wright
« Reply #105 on: June 13, 2007, 03:15:14 pm »

The dent you see with the sediment on it appears to be the deck lid.  Remember that the trunk lid is down between the fins.  I only hope that the car is intact under the plastic.  It is sealed in a plastic bag so perhaps things will not be pristine but still might be salvageable.
MichaelC
« Reply #106 on: June 13, 2007, 03:51:13 pm »

You talking about the dent on the trunk?  Or somewhere else?  I'm not pickin' up what you're layin' down.

Here's that pic posted on page 3 by TulsaSooner.  

Looking at pics of 1957 Belvederes, it's hard to tell just how sunken in that trunk normally is.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #107 on: June 13, 2007, 04:02:54 pm »

The perspective on that photo is difficult to tell how much the trunk is "sunken" since one of the walls is at the bottom of the photo.

Some of the other angles, it doesn't look so bad.  I guess we will all know for certain on Friday.

I wonder if there is a talking/singing frog in the trunk...

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
MichaelC
« Reply #108 on: June 13, 2007, 04:17:38 pm »

I agree.  From the angle of the pic, and depending on the type, and depending on how much cover there is on this thing, it's hard to tell if the trunk was damaged or not.  There could also be a bit of an optical illusion going on, since there appears to be standing water in between the fins.

Here's a site that has a few pics of different 1957 Belvederes

http://www.plymouthcentral.com/57Belvedere1.html
Steve
« Reply #109 on: June 13, 2007, 04:23:08 pm »

From this picture, it appears to me that the trunk lid is entirely gone, as well as the roof of the passenger compartment.  Doesn't seem like good news for the steel time capsule that was supposedly put in the trunk.  Other photos I have seen on flickr seem different.  The front end bonnet over the engine seems to be intact.

I guess we shall all see for sure Friday evening.  I just hope they can raise the beast without any further damage.
MichaelC
« Reply #110 on: June 13, 2007, 04:30:30 pm »

Something I find slighty amazing about this pic is that the windshield and rear window almost appear to be intact.   Can't be sure of course, until Friday.  But with so many pounds of water pressure on the car, I'd half expect the roof to give way enough to compromise the structure around the windows.
AngieB
Proud Westsider
City Father

« Reply #111 on: June 13, 2007, 04:44:24 pm »

I talked to someone who was down in the vault today. I don't want to reveal too much, but I showed him these pics and he said that those flat areas -- the trunk, top and hood are not collapsed or sunken. That's all I'm sayin'.
Steve
« Reply #112 on: June 13, 2007, 04:46:10 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by MichaelC

Something I find slighty amazing about this pic is that the windshield and rear window almost appear to be intact.   Can't be sure of course, until Friday.  But with so many pounds of water pressure on the car, I'd half expect the roof to give way enough to compromise the structure around the windows.

Yes, it appears that the windows are still largely intact.  I have heard that curved glass is at least if not more structurally sound than steel, not to mention less corrosive.  Looks like the front and rear window framing held up, as well as the right (passenger) side roof frame.

We all know by now that it is in sad shape, but I still can't wait to finally see what has survived.
Steve
« Reply #113 on: June 13, 2007, 04:50:04 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by TulsaMINI

I talked to someone who was down in the vault today. I don't want to reveal too much, but I showed him these pics and he said that those flat areas -- the trunk, top and hood are not collapsed or sunken. That's all I'm sayin'.

GREAT TulsaMINI!  Given Tulsa's history with flooding and water problems, I think we should be glad as much of the car has survived as we have seen so far.  I am still anxiously awaiting the big reveal this Friday.
Wilbur
« Reply #114 on: June 13, 2007, 06:10:30 pm »

At this point in time, I think I'm grateful I don't have a chance to win the car!
AngieB
Proud Westsider
City Father

« Reply #115 on: June 13, 2007, 07:02:26 pm »

Here's a bunch more pics:

http://www.tulsachevys.com/Images/buriedcar/index.html
daddys little squirt
« Reply #116 on: June 13, 2007, 07:17:53 pm »

This is all really fun!  Since it was sealed in plastic if the vault filled with water it is likely the vehicle floated to the top which could have dented the roof and fins. I was not too impressed with the cloth covered rubber sealing in late 50's cars. They leaked during rainstorms. Its a rust bucket now without a doubt. Still fun though.
Lister
« Reply #117 on: June 13, 2007, 07:40:24 pm »

quote:

Thanks for the link to the pics. Sorry to say, but judging from those pictures this thing is probably nothing but rust. It looks as though the cloth or whatever it is that's covering the trunk has even been eaten through with rust. Wouldn't matter anyway - where do you think all of that rust came from? There's nothing else in the vault made of corrosive material other than the car, right? I mean, look at this..

Steve
« Reply #118 on: June 13, 2007, 07:57:57 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Wilbur

At this point in time, I think I'm grateful I don't have a chance to win the car!

Well Wilbur, I think that is a very selfish and disrespecful attitude.  I don't care if the car is a rust heap; if I were the official winner (I would be the legal heir of my parents and their winning entry) I would be honored to win this automobile and take my place in Tulsa history.  It is not all about money or winning a pristine vintage 1950s car; it is all about being a part of Tulsa history.
Steve
« Reply #119 on: June 13, 2007, 08:02:49 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Lister

quote:

Thanks for the link to the pics. Sorry to say, but judging from those pictures this thing is probably nothing but rust. It looks as though the cloth or whatever it is that's covering the trunk has even been eaten through with rust. Wouldn't matter anyway - where do you think all of that rust came from? There's nothing else in the vault made of corrosive material other than the car, right? I mean, look at this..

Thanks Lister for that picture, that is the best picture I have seen today that shows the entire basic structure of the Plymouth intact, lifts my spirits and gives me hope about the survival of the Plymouth.  The roof and the trunk lid in that picture do not appear to be caved in; you can see the sloping roofline of the 1957 hardtop Plymouth, the distinctive front end and the tail fins.  I am sure the interior of car is long gone, but I think we have reason to hope that the car is not a total lost cause.  Damaged, for sure. But only the final reveal on Friday will tell us the truth!
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 26   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org