A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 29, 2024, 05:18:55 pm
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 26   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 1957 Plymouth dig up  (Read 120187 times)
daddys little squirt
« Reply #225 on: June 15, 2007, 03:49:11 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by sauerkraut

OK with that clear close up photo of the tear you can see the damage, it does look serious. A little bit of rust like that is normally just the tip of the iceburg. Looks like it's just about rusted thru at the tip of the tail fin. Too bad that wrap didn't hold up. If the total amount of water in the vault over the 50 years was only 2-3 feet deep the parts of the car above it may be good shape. I was hoping so hard for a mint showroom new car to be coming out.

Might not be bubbling rust you see on the fin. It looks like that protective plastic they use on plexiglas.
Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #226 on: June 15, 2007, 03:51:37 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by tulsa1603

Whoever suggested that they do a display with a cutaway section of the vault, and the car in as-is condition, I think that's a great idea.  This car is part of our history, rusty or not.  To restore it would be historically dishonest IMHO.  In fact, if they had opened that vault, and the tarp had been in pristine condition, I don't think it would be nearly as interesting...We'd know exactly what to expect.  Now with all the speculation of "just how bad is it?", we're having some fun.

You can send your check to....heh...j/k...

Steve
« Reply #227 on: June 15, 2007, 04:01:35 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Steve

Well I for one am going to sign off this forum now, because I don't want to see any more negative rumors about our wonderful car that may or may not be true.  I will wait to see the Ch. 6 show tonight and view it for myself.

Everyone keep their fingers crossed...

I tried and managed to be gone from TulsaNow for 2 hours, but burning curiosity got the best of me.  I could have just lurked as a guest, but thought I would be honest and sign on!

2 hours to go ...
Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #228 on: June 15, 2007, 04:04:33 pm »

I hear the unveiling is actually at 8 is that the case......

Steve
« Reply #229 on: June 15, 2007, 04:10:23 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by rwarn17588

To those who think this whole Belvedere thing is a failure just because the car isn't in pristine condition:

Look at the number of posts on this thread. Look at the total number of views on the buriedcar.com Web site. Look at the thousands of visitors from all over the U.S. and several foreign countries to our city.

The Tulsarama people in 1957 were as crazy as a fox.

You got that exactly right rwarn17588.  The condition of the car is really not the point now.  The publicity for Tulsa and the fact that the old gal has survived as well as it seems to have is priceless.  I am still positively giddy about tonight's reveal, whatever we may find.  Has any other city in the U.S. had something like this before? No.  Did any other U.S. city bury an automobile in the 20th century to be uncovered 50 years in the future?  No.  I think is is really a monumental event for pop culture fans.  Not as significant as the fall of communism in Eastern Europe and the Berlin Wall, but a heck of a lot of fun and wildly entertaining!
jiminy
« Reply #230 on: June 15, 2007, 04:29:09 pm »

I think we definitely need to bury another one.  Maybe in the same vault, with better protection and sealant.  And a way to drain.  If we don't do it, somebody else will.  OKC in particular might have the arrogance to do it and make like it was their idea all along.  

One of the neat things is watching the video of the people burying the car.  A lot of them knew they would not live to see the end result, but they did it for us anyway.  That's something we need to pass on to future Tulsa.
Steve
« Reply #231 on: June 15, 2007, 04:37:29 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by jiminy

I think we definitely need to bury another one.  Maybe in the same vault, with better protection and sealant.  And a way to drain.  If we don't do it, somebody else will.  OKC in particular might have the arrogance to do it and make like it was their idea all along.  

One of the neat things is watching the video of the people burying the car.  A lot of them knew they would not live to see the end result, but they did it for us anyway.  That's something we need to pass on to future Tulsa.

Funny, I think OKC and Tulsa will forever be in a love/hate (mostly hate) relationship and always be trying to trump each other.  Not necessarily a bad thing.

As I was watching the big lift today at noon on TV Ch. 2, I was really touched when the camera panned the live audience in the bleachers.  There were many people there that were involved in the original burial back in 1957.  It was thrilling and touching that so many of them were still with us today and could attend the ceremony.  Thanks so much to all of you, ladies and gentlemen!
T-Town Now
« Reply #232 on: June 15, 2007, 05:45:33 pm »

They've already covered up the vault.

At the rate it's been raining, we'll have grass covering it in a week. You'll never know there was anything there.

At the very least, they should install a plaque stating what was once buried on that spot.

They still use cosmolene on new cars. A friend told me Porsche coats the bottoms of their cars with cosmolene to protect them from salt water during shipping. So, it must be good stuff since it's still used.
Ibanez
City Father

« Reply #233 on: June 15, 2007, 05:49:30 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by T-Town Now

They've already covered up the vault.

At the rate it's been raining, we'll have grass covering it in a week. You'll never know there was anything there.

At the very least, they should install a plaque stating what was once buried on that spot.

They still use cosmolene on new cars. A friend told me Porsche coats the bottoms of their cars with cosmolene to protect them from salt water during shipping. So, it must be good stuff since it's still used.

The military still uses it as well for various things.
Ibanez
City Father

« Reply #234 on: June 15, 2007, 06:18:07 pm »

Did they not plan or rehearse any of this? It looks like amateur hour.

Also....commercials? C'mon KOTV you have got to be kidding me!
Lister
« Reply #235 on: June 15, 2007, 06:19:42 pm »

It's too bad they couldn't have used a little common sense back in 1957 and realized it would have been cheaper and the car would have been in almost pristine condition if they would've put the car in a vault ABOVE GROUND.. It's a damn shame that it's nothing but a big f__n pile of RUST that most likely (no, definitely) permeates every single millimeter of that car.
Ibanez
City Father

« Reply #236 on: June 15, 2007, 06:33:22 pm »

Kick donkey! At least the time capsule was intact. Brought tears to my eyes to see the flag come out.
Ibanez
City Father

« Reply #237 on: June 15, 2007, 06:34:04 pm »

KOTV YOU FREAKING SUCK!!!!!
jiminy
« Reply #238 on: June 15, 2007, 06:37:56 pm »

Note for next time: Make a capsule big enough to put the car in.
TurismoDreamin
Civic Leader

« Reply #239 on: June 15, 2007, 06:39:45 pm »

I think if there is a winner of the car and if they accept the car as their prize, the city of Tulsa will buy it back. If not, they should.

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 26   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org