A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 29, 2024, 05:30:02 pm
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 26   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 1957 Plymouth dig up  (Read 120223 times)
ttownclown
« Reply #240 on: June 15, 2007, 06:47:46 pm »

hummm - more commercials than actual show... Geeez, thanks KOTV.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #241 on: June 15, 2007, 06:57:59 pm »

KOTV coverage sucks!

Can't even get the audio on, and when it's on it's not in sync. The commercials are extremely excessive and ill-timed.

I noticed OSU students polished part of the front bumper to a mirror finish how come no-one is talking about that?
tulsa1603
Philanthropist

« Reply #242 on: June 15, 2007, 06:58:46 pm »

Seeing the car in it's current condition, I have to agree with Boyd Coddington - leave it as it is!  I think it would make a wondeful exhibit at the Historical Society.

So glad that at least the capsule held - and the guesses are intact!

TurismoDreamin
Civic Leader

« Reply #243 on: June 15, 2007, 07:03:06 pm »

I'm very anxious to see the pictures in that capsule of Tulsa from back in 1957. I plan on going to that car show tomorrow to see in person what I couldn't tonight.

I look near the top to see the website stats and it says 8 active members and 77 guests. Interesting.

sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #244 on: June 15, 2007, 07:04:04 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by tulsa1603

Seeing the car in it's current condition, I have to agree with Boyd Coddington - leave it as it is!  I think it would make a wondeful exhibit at the Historical Society.

So glad that at least the capsule held - and the guesses are intact!

With the car and all the stuff in it, you could make a museum or at least a huge section of one. They should clean it up, get some chemical treatment on it and keep it under plexiglass.

Whoever wins, donate it!

Lets use all of this as the beginnings of Tulsa History & Children's museum.
T-Town Now
« Reply #245 on: June 15, 2007, 07:09:39 pm »

Shame on KOTV for the too-frequent commercials. I don't blame the people doing the show, it's live and they didn't really know what to expect, so I think overall they did OK. (Although it would have been 950% better WITHOUT the retired AM talk radio deejay.)

I think just cleaning up the car will do wonders for it. No doubt water got in the engine and rusted it solid. It could probably still be torn down, machined, and rebuilt.

Interior door panels, seat covers, etc., are all reproduced, so the car could be restored if someone wanted to. At any rate, they will need to take steps to preserve it as it is, or it will continue to deteriorate.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #246 on: June 15, 2007, 07:12:19 pm »

I'm going tomorrow too. I really want to see the car myself. 12x zoom at my side...
TulsaSooner
« Reply #247 on: June 15, 2007, 07:15:49 pm »

Yeah, I thought Sharon King-whatshername did a far better job as emcee than John Ehrling did.

And KOTV was going overboard with the commercials I thought.  Sheesh, it's only an hour...if it was a heavy thunderstorm in Pushmataha, you wold never have even considered running a commercial.  [Sad!]

But...I'm happy for the time capsule.  I'm glad something was salvaged out of there.
jiminy
« Reply #248 on: June 15, 2007, 07:33:47 pm »

Well, by saying we should leave her just as she is, I think Boyd is basically saying she's not restorable.  I do think she might be more of a spectacle now than if she was mint.  Given that they found some of the beer inside, the back panel is probably gone, possibly the firewall and floorboards as well.  It might literally be a car that is only being held together by rust.  I wish they had spent more time talking about the car and it's condition, and where the preparations with the vault, coverings and cosmoline failed, and less time on, oh I don't know, commercials???  I would specifically like to know why they don't think it's restorable, what problems someone would face if they tried, etc.  Like are the body panels rotted through, is the frame still sound, can the windows and chrome be cleaned up?  It was very low in the back, but that could have just been the coils.  I hope they do try and clean her up as much as possible, but maybe they will leave that decision to the owner.
TulsaSooner
« Reply #249 on: June 15, 2007, 07:40:56 pm »

Yeah, they went through it like kids in a candy store....but that's alright I guess.  I'd sure like to have seen it all in pristine condition like the time.

I think they should do whatever they need to do to keep it from getting any worse and leave it like it is and display it somewhere for everyone to see.  It won't be the same to restore it since that isn't how it came out, just keep it from getting worse (however that might be accomplished) and keep it and its contents for future generations to see.

But like was said earlier, it will be up to the owner.
TulsaSooner
« Reply #250 on: June 15, 2007, 07:42:32 pm »

Oh...and I agree with jiminy.  When Boyd said to leave it like it is, and even when they first came on and said they'd leave it just as they found it, I figured they all knew it wasn't salvagable.

sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #251 on: June 15, 2007, 07:43:23 pm »

I doubt it had coil springs, especially in the back. Keep in mind they had a decent amount of weight in the truck and I think the rear tires went flat again.

It wasn't rusted through but it was bad enough that they can't just buff it. With the sheetmetal having no holes in it, the frame should be fine as is and it will be in good shape to move around for restoration and storage.
jiminy
« Reply #252 on: June 15, 2007, 07:56:06 pm »

Oh right, they had leaf springs back then. I bet those failed.

Well they polished up a spot of the chrome, I wish they had tried that on a spot of the body as well.
TulsaSooner
« Reply #253 on: June 15, 2007, 07:57:12 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by jiminy

Oh right, they had leaf springs back then. I bet those failed.

Well they polished up a spot of the chrome, I wish they had tried that on a spot of the body as well.

They couldn't because Ehrling was having a spasm or KOTV was having a commercial.  [Cheesy]
TulsaSooner
« Reply #254 on: June 15, 2007, 08:03:56 pm »

Didn't they say they found the entries in the capsule but it wasn't on microfilm like they thought?  It was written down on paper and rolled up like a scroll?

I don't mean the post cards that Ehrling mentioned but I thought towards the end the said they had the paper with the entires.

I could be wrong on that, it was probably time for a Dodge commercial.  [Sad!]
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 26   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org