News:

Long overdue maintenance happening. See post in the top forum.

Main Menu

City Hall Consolidation (purchase of One Technolog

Started by rbryant, June 12, 2007, 06:59:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sgrizzle

quote:
Originally posted by TulsaSooner

quote:
Originally posted by TulsaSooner

Has it been determined whether or not the Police/Municipal Courts building would be included in this consolidation?

According to the presentation it isn't, which kind of eliminates the "One Stop" benefit.  So folks who make a court appearance and need to pay a fine would have to go to One Tech or the City would have to have another set of cashiers/supervisory staff located at Municipal Court?

Your court appearance would be in front of a COUNTY judge. The new facility is to be a one stop shop for CITY services.

TulsaSooner

quote:
Originally posted by sgrizzle
Your court appearance would be in front of a COUNTY judge. The new facility is to be a one stop shop for CITY services.

People make court appearances in and pay fines for MUNICIPAL court every day, it's in the building just west of the County Courthouse. These appearances would be for court cases involving citations issued by the TPD.

Wrinkle

Of the $15 Million supposedly 'saved'over the first 10 years, how much of that occurs in years 1, 2 and 3 (the remainder of Kitty's term)?

When averaging things over 10 years, half of those could be a net loss.

How much of this savings does utilities constitute? And, what are the rate projections for the next 10 years?

Exactly how much rent is the City of Tulsa going to pay the new Authority (bldg owner)?

sgrizzle

quote:
Originally posted by Wrinkle

Of the $15 Million supposedly 'saved'over the first 10 years, how much of that occurs in years 1, 2 and 3 (the remainder of Kitty's term)?

How much of this savings does utilities constitute? And, what are the rate projections for the next 10 years?

Exactly how much rent is the City of Tulsa going to pay the new Authority (bldg owner)?

A lot of the savings shown are from not doing maintenance which was already deferred and unfunded. There is no mention of the city paying rent to itself.

Wrinkle

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Wrinkle

A lot of the savings shown are from not doing maintenance which was already deferred and unfunded. There is no mention of the city paying rent to itself.

It's not paying rent to itself, the City becomes a tenant in a building owned by a new Authority. Thus, rent would be required, if for no other reason than liabilities.

I've not even seen square footage figures on the amount the City expects to occupy.

And, there's rumors of The Chamber, perhaps INCOG and other non-governmental agencies becoming other tenants of this building. That should be of some concern.

Two weeks advance notice for the Council to be presented, digest and form an opinion of this transaction is unacceptable.

Let's see the Operations Budget for the new Authority. In particular, how much money will be spent on MAINTENANCE in the first ten years?

sgrizzle

Some of the square footage info is in the powerpoint.

Hometown

quote:
Originally posted by rbryant

quote:

I'm sure it seemed completely reasonable to Tulsans of the day to demolish each and every one of our wonderful old priceless movie houses.

It takes time to see the value in historic architecture.

I say get good photos.  The trends of the last 30 years will most likely continue unabated.

I share your disgust with what has been demolished over the years.  When I see the slide shows and photos showing what Tulsa was like decades ago... the density downtown... the activity... the vitality... it makes me want to cry because that's the city I want to live in.  And we had it at one time.  The biggest crime is when the buildings are demolished to be replaced with surface parking.  And, unfortunately, this has been happening even recently when you consider the Skelly Building and the Auto Hotel.  If someone insists on demolishing a building, then at the very least they should build something better.  This is a situation in which that should happen, as the city is in need of a hotel next to the convention center (according to various folks who have been trying to bring in large conventions to Tulsa).  If it's not demolished and simply becomes vacant and available for lease, I wonder if anyone would even be willing to locate their offices there.

However, I see this not so much as an issue of whether or not the current city hall building will be demolished at some point, but more a factor of the city making an improvement (on many levels) in the location of city hall.

A new hotel?  I just want to point out that today there are four large hotels in downtown Tulsa that sit nearly empty.

The Doubletree Hotel is two blocks from the new Arena.  The other hotels are also located within an easy walk from the Arena.

Wrinkle

It's obvious the City has no solid plans for the "old" City Hall building. Otherwise, they'd have the Tulsa World printing six part series on undisclosed developers who are fighting amongst themselves over the possibilities.

Then, there's the Library, which is part of the as yet unrevealed plan. They'll be back asking for the $80 Million for a 'Grand Central' Library (in an Internet Age).

And, the Federal Building hasn't gone unnoticed, for sure.

City Officials need to come out of the closet.

RecycleMichael

Another hotel is needed to attract the medium size conventions that we want.  Downtown hotels don't really compete with each other, they complement each other.
Power is nothing till you use it.

Wrinkle

quote:

Some of the square footage info is in the powerpoint.

Would it be asking too much to reprint some of those here?

Hometown

quote:
Originally posted by recyclemichael

Another hotel is needed to attract the medium size conventions that we want.  Downtown hotels don't really compete with each other, they complement each other.

With all due respect, that doesn't make sense.

Wrinkle

The new Authority Budget is of great concern, especially the MAINTENANCE aspects of the operation.

Remember, this Authority will be required to be a competative force in the downtown real estate market. The City norm of deferring MAINTENANCE will be absolutely unacceptable in a competative market place. Tenants will expect services and for their place of business to not be constantly erroding like the City has done to virtually all of its' possessions.

RecycleMichael

quote:
Originally posted by Hometown

quote:
Originally posted by recyclemichael

With all due respect, that doesn't make sense.

We only have enough hotel rooms downtown to attract conventions that need less than 1,000 rooms. None of the choices are four star and many conventions like to have one upscale hotel to host.

A new hotel at that location will give us the chance to attract the next size conventions and more upscale visitors.

Ask the management at the Doubletree or the Crowne Plaza and I bet they will say they support a new downtown hotel.
Power is nothing till you use it.

jne

quote:
Originally posted by rwarn17588

As a person who's experienced in preservation and types of architecture on Route 66, I can say with considerable certainty that I won't miss that mold-infested, confusingly laid-out, nondescript, dogsh*t building that is city hall.

Amen.

I think the move will prove to be one of the Mayor's more popular decisions.  It could give Tulsa a little since of pride, help the economic viability of commerce in our emerging arts district, make it friendlier for folks doing business with the city.  We're going from a dungeon with files stacked in hallways and workers knocking elbows to a showcase.
Vote for the two party system!
-one one Friday and one on Saturday.

daddys little squirt

Anyone who has paid a traffic fine in this building or visited the offices knows that the building is no treasure. Style wise or construction quality. The plaza in general has been problematic since it started leaking back in the late seventies, a mere dozen years into its life. Redevelopment into a more complementary property to the Arena certainly makes sense to me.

That being said, the new location seems to be missing a sense of place. It is not "branded" like the plaza area. No other typical govt. services like the library, county offices or fed offices will be nearby. Basically it says, "we're not the player we once were".