News:

Long overdue maintenance happening. See post in the top forum.

Main Menu

City Hall Consolidation (purchase of One Technolog

Started by rbryant, June 12, 2007, 06:59:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RecycleMichael

Hometown is right.

Where was our congressional contingency when the Federal agencies were fleeing to east Tulsa and abandoning downtown?

The Corps of Engineers, U.S. Fish and Wildlife, even the quasi-federal Post office left and the downtown worker population plummeted.

It caused almost every restaurant west of Boulder to close.
Power is nothing till you use it.

Wrinkle

quote:
Originally posted by recyclemichael

Hometown is right.

Where was our congressional contingency when the Federal agencies were fleeing to east Tulsa and abandoning downtown?

The Corps of Engineers, U.S. Fish and Wildlife, even the quasi-federal Post office left and the downtown worker population plummeted.

It caused almost every restaurant west of Boulder to close.

Good Point. However, it was really their choice at the time. They fled downtown to solve what they saw then as parking problems, now there's nothing but surface lots everywhere.

The Corp might actually be willing to reconsider at this point since they plunked themselves down in what has now become the site of nightly fireworks.  They'd actually be almost a perfect tenant for One Tech, especially if they could fill the building.

Conan71

Wait though.  Wasn't the Murrah building bombing and 9/11 considered the impetus (or would that be impeti) for de-centralizing Federal offices all around the country?

I realize that had little to anything to do with the USACE and USPO going east, but I believe that would be a stumbling block to centralize much of any Federal offices in a downtown area in the post 9/11 era.
"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first" -Ronald Reagan

shadows

I believe the Williams Brothers wanted the Urban
Renewal to condemn the property up to Greenwood and turn it over to them to redevelop.  There seems to be one of the largest frauds in-behind-the back dealing in falsehoods that robbed many of their retirement savings was perpetrated.   It surpasses the Community National Insurance fraud of some years back

The design of the present City Hall is traditional and most workers within spend there pension requirement in it.  Once they are introduced to the building they only seem to leave in retirement.  

The IRS is also among those who moved east to the Corps building.  The city could work with WalMart and build a new plaza East on all the vacant land that was annexed.  

The Landmark Camelot is to be  a new Quick Trip store that will be a killing field for robbers with instant access to the expressways.  Those residents will now be happy with all the traffic it will create 24 hours a day.    

The traffic tickets should have an explanation on them that the violator is to take the ticket to municipal court at the plaza, then walk the six blocks to the new glass building to pay, because there may be a problem with parking and even then one could have to walk three or four blocks.

Oh! Blessed are the millionaires who donate their time to correct the working poor problems .      
Today we stand in ecstasy and view that we build today'
Tomorrow we will enter into the plea to have it torn away.

TheArtist

I was reading down through the posts, got to that last one and was like, "What the heck kind of incoherent babble...?"  Then looked over and saw it was Shadows. lol
"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h

Chris

quote:
Originally posted by TheArtist

I was reading down through the posts, got to that last one and was like, "What the heck kind of incoherent babble...?"  Then looked over and saw it was Shadows. lol

lol me too exactly!

The guy seems to have interesting things to say, I just can't always figure out what they are.

shadows

One can find some wisdom in the words of the jester.

If we had the river development with the low water dams installed we would be able to have the water to fill them and all the citizens of God's little acres would be ready then to explore where to store the surplus to fill the future sand bar lakes.

Tulsa best artwork is located on the retaining wall of the old school house east of Yale on 11th street.  

We are in need of some more Hotels like the Mayo Brothers built.   lol

Walking Point

I happen on this thread while looking for information on the Cith Hall move.  Does everyone know that tha Mayor has agreed to pay the Staubach Company a "commision" of $1,100,000.00?

shadows

No but I understand the strong mayor, acting through an authority, who will purchase the building and plans to lease a part to the city for thirty years.   This way it is a done deal beyond the vote of the people.  Millionaires only start with the opening bid of a million dollars I'm told.  What else is news?

Hope in thirty years the city does not end up like Bell's with a cancelled lease.

Walking Point

Sorry but thats incorrect.  The Tulsa Public Facility Authority vote to issue bons etc if andf only if the deal is approved by the City COuncil.  Our voice can make a difference.

BASleuth

Solution to entire problem.  Build new city hall in the Channels project of the Arkansas River.

shadows

quote:
Originally posted by Walking Point

Sorry but thats incorrect.  The Tulsa Public Facility Authority vote to issue bons etc if andf only if the deal is approved by the City COuncil.  Our voice can make a difference.

I believe the 4 grade civics classes would describe the purpose of the TPFA in issuing revenue bonds to buy the building and lease it out to qualify for producing revenue.   One must come to the conclusion that the silent government that controls all functions of the city does not sit on the council.   They just say "jump".

Hometown

I hear you Shadows.  Bringing about real change in Tulsa doesn't stop with city government.

You may have read my posts in the past where I have suggested that Tulsa trade in her rich folks for new and improved models.

Or one or two super rich could circumvent the old money crowd and shake things up.  That happened in Fort Worth with their super rich Bass family trumping the old money crowd.

There is a lot of infighting with the rich and the old millionaires can't touch the new billionaires.  The old money crowd has the patina of respectability but not the dough.  But we live in a bottom line kind of culture where it's the dough that matters.

TheArtist

quote:
Originally posted by Hometown

I hear you Shadows.  Bringing about real change in Tulsa doesn't stop with city government.

You may have read my posts in the past where I have suggested that Tulsa trade in her rich folks for new and improved models.

Or one or two super rich could circumvent the old money crowd and shake things up.  That happened in Fort Worth with their super rich Bass family trumping the old money crowd.

There is a lot of infighting with the rich and the old millionaires can't touch the new billionaires.  The old money crowd has the patina of respectability but not the dough.  But we live in a bottom line kind of culture where it's the dough that matters.

Yea I think the trading our old rich for some new ones is a great idea. I think you should definitely get right on that Hometown.  And anything I can do to help, just let me know.
"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h

Conan71

quote:
Originally posted by Walking Point

I happen on this thread while looking for information on the Cith Hall move.  Does everyone know that tha Mayor has agreed to pay the Staubach Company a "commision" of $1,100,000.00?

Are you the only other person besides myself who is troubled by this revelation?

I mean, you agree to pay a consultant a higher fee if the deal goes down than if it doesn't.  Wouldn't that give the consultant all the incentive needed to say this is a slam dunk deal and ignore any of the pitfalls?
"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first" -Ronald Reagan