A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 25, 2024, 12:20:05 pm
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Good Bye Civic Center  (Read 27949 times)
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #60 on: July 02, 2007, 02:03:26 pm »

Hometown, for once posts from you that made me laugh instead of groan.  Great creativity- you should use it more often instead of being a sock puppet for the liberal left. [}:)]

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
shadows
City Father

« Reply #61 on: July 02, 2007, 03:17:46 pm »

All that I read is that there are so many in God’s little acres that are so excited about the moving of 20% of the total employees of the city into the glass house. There is an old saying “don’t throw stones if you live in a glass house”.  

The move is being made to impress the visiting dignitaries what a millionaire is be able to do by changing the redneck concept to  professional high class where there is not even room for the working poor to congregate to admire it from the sidewalk.  

It’s a done deal but I understand there will be no gates of pearl replacing the entrance doors.  For now anyway.  

Today we stand in ecstasy and view that we build today’
Tomorrow we will enter into the plea to have it torn away.
Hometown
« Reply #62 on: July 02, 2007, 04:00:25 pm »

Shadows I truly do not understand how an interloper can dive into Tulsa, throw out decades of city planning and undermine a huge complex of government buildings all without public discussion.  Watching this process has helped me understanding how Tulsa got into the shape she is in.

And it would help if we had a local newspaper that would give some coverage to folks that disagree with their agenda.

Maybe this idea will die a quiet death like the Channels did.

Renaissance
City Father

« Reply #63 on: July 02, 2007, 04:38:07 pm »

Getting lost in the conversation about the Civic Center is that it's a leaky moldy poopbucket.  It may be rectangular, but it's still a leaky moldy poopbucket.  

Seriously though, the Civic Center fails as a civic center.  Why do reasonable people want to throw out decades of public planning?  Because they recognize that those plans failed, and it's time to move on for the sake of the city center.  I hope it works.
Hometown
« Reply #64 on: July 02, 2007, 05:24:10 pm »

If it is so obvious they shouldn't be afraid to open it up to public discussion and invite public input.

Wilbur
« Reply #65 on: July 02, 2007, 06:51:12 pm »

I might buy more into the project if Tulsa County would also move into the same building and share expenses.  If the City will only use half the building, why not put the county in the other half and make it one-stop-shopping for customers.
waterboy
« Reply #66 on: July 02, 2007, 07:24:12 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Wilbur

I might buy more into the project if Tulsa County would also move into the same building and share expenses.  If the City will only use half the building, why not put the county in the other half and make it one-stop-shopping for customers.

Because they would devour each other. Each would want to be the landlord.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #67 on: July 03, 2007, 09:23:41 am »

quote:
Originally posted by waterboy

quote:
Originally posted by Wilbur

Because they would devour each other. Each would want to be the landlord.

Ralph Furley vs Stanley Roper
Hometown
« Reply #68 on: July 06, 2007, 11:26:04 am »

Saw my City Hall mole over the holiday.  Apparently staffers do not support the move.  They want to stay in current city hall where they have offices.  In proposed location they would only have cubes.  So this looks to be a plan that was originated at the top.

There are other alternatives being studied including staying put.

sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #69 on: July 06, 2007, 11:28:36 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Hometown

Saw my City Hall mole over the holiday.  Apparently staffers do not support the move.  They want to stay in current city hall where they have offices.  In proposed location they would only have cubes.  So this looks to be a plan that was originated at the top.

There are other alternatives being studied including staying put.

Wow. They might have to usher in 1981.
Hometown
« Reply #70 on: July 06, 2007, 11:38:16 am »

What happened in 1981 Mr. Grizzle?  Your post is mysterious.  Please enlighten.

TulsaSooner
« Reply #71 on: July 06, 2007, 12:19:02 pm »

quote:

So this looks to be a plan that was originated at the top.

Hmm.  I was sure this project was undertaken by the utility customer service folks.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #72 on: July 06, 2007, 01:32:28 pm »

quote:

Shadows I truly do not understand how an interloper can dive into Tulsa, throw out decades of city planning and undermine a huge complex of government buildings all without public discussion.  Watching this process has helped me understanding how Tulsa got into the shape she is in.

And it would help if we had a local newspaper that would give some coverage to folks that disagree with their agenda.

Maybe this idea will die a quiet death like the Channels did.

You voted for this interloper from Ft. Lauderdale/OKC...yes?

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #73 on: July 06, 2007, 02:41:18 pm »

Let’s be honest here,

Even if the deal to move the city office does cost some money and doesn’t really save as much as advertised, it’s a good deal.

The Civic center simply is the very worst city government complex I have ever seen in any city. Period. The worst, and by far. And we all know it.

It’s an abomination. I cringe at the idea that city leaders take prospective business people and developers into that wasteland. It’s beyond awful. It’s depressing and cold and looks like something from the Soviet era in Russia. The Civic Center was very badly conceived, designed and maintained. There is no possible civic pride in that terrible collection of bad buildings.
Hometown
« Reply #74 on: July 06, 2007, 04:58:28 pm »

Swake, I have a background in art and in my opinion Tulsa's Civic Center is beautiful.  It provides a striking terminus for 5th Street.  Its public spaces are many and impressive.

We have a classic Mid Century Modern Civic Center.  Taken in its entirety, our Civic Center has great esthetic and historic value.

Where were you when the city tore down the Will Rogers or the Delman or the Brook?  Where were you when the city allowed small business owners to destroy 15th between Utica and Lewis?  Were you looking the other way when the city and small business owners destroyed South Denver?  Did you call it preservation when the city tore down most of the Old Warehouse Market and built a Home Depot beside it?  Did you call it progress when the city tore down its historic old library near T.U.?  

I haven’t even started.

Tulsa has many virtues but preserving her historic buildings and neighborhoods is not one of them.

Let’s not throw away any more of Tulsa’s important history.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org