A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 28, 2024, 11:22:42 am
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Accessory Dwelling Units  (Read 9490 times)
booWorld
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2008, 01:46:08 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by pmcalk

I don't think that the current system is too bad.  Areas where ADU are appropriate (Swan Lake, Yorktown, MapleRidge) are usually supported by the neighborhood.  I can think of several examples in Swan Lake where the homeowner went before the BOA to get a variance for the ADU, and was granted the right.

The current system is awful, unpredictable, and therefore terribly unfair.

There ought to be set definitions and standards for ADUs, not rulings based on the whims of whoever happens to show up for a meeting of the TMAPC or the Board of Adjustment on a particular day.
Steve
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2008, 02:05:46 pm »

Zoning and city ordinance aside, the restrictive covenants of my midtown Tulsa subdivision (Lortondale, 26th & Yale) specifically prohibit accessory dwelling units, unless the unit is only occupied by a "domestic regular employee" of the property owner.  It says erection and occupation must be for a domestic servant only.  This would exclude rental to the general public and extended family members.

Restrictive covenants don't carry the force of law, but do give fellow property owners "ammo" should they decide to sue over a violation.  I don't know of any dispute in my neighborhood over this specific covenant provision.
booWorld
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2008, 03:02:27 pm »

According to a long-time resident of my neighborhood, our sub-division drew a distinction as to who could occupy detached quarters along racial lines.  In general, the detached accessory dwelling units were for non-whites.  Such covenants reinforced Tulsa's codified racial segregation of the time.

Steve
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2008, 05:36:25 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by booWorld

According to a long-time resident of my neighborhood, our sub-division drew a distinction as to who could occupy detached quarters along racial lines.  In general, the detached accessory dwelling units were for non-whites.  Such covenants reinforced Tulsa's codified racial segregation of the time.

That is not surprising.  My original subdivision plat was filed on December 31, 1953, along with the original restrictive covenants, limiting ADU's for domestic servants only.  My covenants remained in force until 1978, and then automatically renewed for successive 5-year periods, unless modified by a vote of the majority of the property owners in my subdivision.  To my knowledge, none of the original covenants have ever been modified by vote, and technically remain in force today as part of the property deeds.
booWorld
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2008, 06:47:49 pm »

I think my subdivision dates from the 1910s, but I'm not sure.  Many Tulsans are not aware of the racial segregation ordinances that the City had in force a couple of generations ago.  Reading Tulsa's Zoning Ordinance and Provisions for the Segregation of Races from 1930 was an eye-opener for me, and it helped me gain a deeper understanding and appreciation for our current form of government with councilors elected by nine geographic districts.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org