A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 06, 2024, 01:22:01 pm
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: POINTS TO PONDER  (Read 9652 times)
Rowdy
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2007, 09:25:34 pm »

In Shakespeare's time, mattresses were secured on bed frames by ropes. When you pulled on the ropes the mattress tightened, making the bed firmer to sleep on. That's where the phrase, "goodnight, sleep tight" came from.
Rowdy
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2007, 06:17:00 am »

It was the accepted practice in Babylon 4,000 years ago that for a month after the wedding, the bride's father would supply his son-in-law with all the mead he could drink. Mead is a honey beer, and because their calendar was lunar based, this period was called the honeymonth" or what we know today as the "honeymoon."
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2007, 08:18:12 am »

Whoa!  That's awesome Rowdy. Honeymoon, wow.

ON a similar point, I brewed 5 gallons of mead a couple years back.  Vile stuff.  Its so sweet (predictably I guess) and at the same time alcoholic.  I ended up carbonating it and using it as a mixer with soda water to dilute it a bit.  Strong stuff, I think I measure it at 16% - which is about as high as one can get without distilling.

I suppose if that's what you have to get drunk on.  The Babylonians probably would not be too fond of Jack Daniels.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
sauerkraut
City Father

I Conquered The 2013 -2015 Polar Bear Plunge!!

« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2007, 10:04:35 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Rowdy

It was the accepted practice in Babylon 4,000 years ago that for a month after the wedding, the bride's father would supply his son-in-law with all the mead he could drink. Mead is a honey beer, and because their calendar was lunar based, this period was called the honeymonth" or what we know today as the "honeymoon."

We still call the "HoneyMonth" in the sauerkraut household. We are not much into Moons.[Smiley]

Proud Global  Warming Deiner! Earth Is Getting Colder NOT Warmer!
shadows
City Father

« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2007, 10:09:46 pm »

How many ponder on the thought of “Who are we”.

Each individual, unique as a guest in a host a generic organism of which he is able to use as a robot.  Over time this has been the most confused part of what we call life.   Those who came before us created gods in many forms in order to solve their venture into the search for explanations in the world of the unknown.   Our host is the model of the perfect organic machine with hundreds of working parts.  As long as these parts are functional we are able to be a guest of the host.  The separation of who we are hinges on speculation that once the host machine fails we will be able to leave and seek other quarters.  The seemly obligation of the organic machine is to reproduce in a limited time frame and once this time frame expires then to the guest the host becomes less functional.  Among the reproducing of the machine there seem to be many unexplainable flaws such as a generic life form organism of the male living in the body of a female organism of which they number up to 5 million.

Lets see where did I put that methamphetamine that the Chinese’s isolated a few thousand years ago that secretes drugs to the controlling functions of the brain which was synthesized  in 1880?

Today we stand in ecstasy and view that we build today’
Tomorrow we will enter into the plea to have it torn away.
Rowdy
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2007, 10:10:37 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by shadows

How many ponder on the thought of “Who are we”.

Each individual, unique as a guest in a host a generic organism of which he is able to use as a robot.  Over time this has been the most confused part of what we call life.   Those who came before us created gods in many forms in order to solve their venture into the search for explanations in the world of the unknown.   Our host is the model of the perfect organic machine with hundreds of working parts.  As long as these parts are functional we are able to be a guest of the host.  The separation of who we are hinges on speculation that once the host machine fails we will be able to leave and seek other quarters.  The seemly obligation of the organic machine is to reproduce in a limited time frame and once this time frame expires then to the guest the host becomes less functional.  Among the reproducing of the machine there seem to be many unexplainable flaws such as a generic life form organism of the male living in the body of a female organism of which they number up to 5 million.

Lets see where did I put that methamphetamine that the Chinese’s isolated a few thousand years ago that secretes drugs to the controlling functions of the brain which was synthesized  in 1880?

You're not going to drink the Kool-Aid are you?
shadows
City Father

« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2007, 10:18:44 pm »

No and I can't stand beer.  Guess I will have to wait and see what the new mayoral drink is for the council to approve for the city.

TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2007, 08:05:32 am »

And I thought my attempt at being a bit off and strange was pretty good.  But dang, there is no competing with you.

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
shadows
City Father

« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2007, 02:44:54 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by TheArtist

And I thought my attempt at being a bit off and strange was pretty good.  But dang, there is no competing with you.

We are all strange persons with strange thoughts that we ponder on.  Still those thing we ponder lie dormant in the subconscious  mind to be recalled by an undefined  reason. Most things we accept because we are told to.

mr.jaynes
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2007, 03:23:24 pm »

quote:

Guess I will have to wait and see what the new mayoral drink is for the council to approve for the city.

So hunt through my old posts for a certain drink recipe that I posted. Name of the thread is "Belly up to the bar."
Rowdy
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2007, 06:04:39 am »

Many years ago in England, pub frequenters had a whistle baked into the rim or handle of their ceramic cups. When they needed a refill, they used the whistle to get some service. "Wet your whistle," is the phrase inspired by this practice.
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2007, 07:56:26 am »

Remember, you are a special and unique snow flake.  Just like everyone else.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Rowdy
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2007, 03:48:19 pm »

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by TheArtist

We are all strange persons with strange thoughts that we ponder on.  Still those thing we ponder lie dormant in the subconscious  mind to be recalled by an undefined  reason. Most things we accept because we are told to.

I won't accept the fact that Gore invented the Internet.
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2007, 08:28:05 am »

quote:
Al Said]/i]
During my service in the United States Congress, I took the initiative of creating the Internet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpxtKcLSFWw

Classic.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
shadows
City Father

« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2007, 03:42:58 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by cannon_fodder

quote:
Al Said]/i]
During my service in the United States Congress, I took the initiative of creating the Internet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpxtKcLSFWw

Classic.

Gore seems to have laid the foundation for the internet and since all of the local politicians  have been screaming their heads off because sales over the internet has a growing effect on the local sales tax structure. Bad, bad, bad, man  He should be made to carry his own cross.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org